3D printers..can anyone point me to a AR15 buttstock .stl file?

timkel

I am looking for a .stl file for a standard AR15 buttstock. Does anyone have or know where I can find it?

timkel

Found what I needed on grabcad.com Thanks for the help.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Have to check out those two sites.
I have all the older stuff from rip rap that the DOJ made them pull.
Not buttstock files though.

I wonder if 3d printing is finally far enough along to warrant buying one?

Rich

timkel

Have to check out those two sites.
I have all the older stuff from rip rap that the DOJ made them pull.
Not buttstock files though.

Rich
I ordered a 3d printer from jet.com. I started my first print job within one hour of delivery. Been printing ever since. I use the Cura software. I am really impressed with this technology.
If there interest here I will make a more in-depth post in a few days.

American180

UZI Talk Supporter

Rich

It really depends on what you want to do with them. The new printers do a better job with speed, quality and accuracy but you still have the same limations on part strength.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I was going to buy a 3d printer back in 2010 and instead I bought a lathe
A 10F-28 TH48 Atlas to be exact with every last thing you would ever need parts and accessory wise.

I couldn't have made a better choice with all the F1 stuff it has built along with other items.
It was a true gateway drug as I had some machine shop exp. and that Atlas led to a Mill and two other smaller lathes.
A watchmakers lathe that I have never used to repair a watch, but have used very much for reloading stuff.

Also another Atlas 6 inch 618 lathe that I am about to sell to make room for either the printer or the metal shaper.
I just missed a metal shaper and to be honest Right now it's a toss up between the the printer and the shaper.

Hmmmm,, Buy a shaper this winter or a 3D printer.
Looks like I'll have to go back to the research end of the 3d printers and see how far they have come.

My one requirement even back then is usable printer surface area.
When I looked before I thing the largest for the home printer was 7"x7" inches.

I will say for every gun part or reloading tool one of my machines has made they have made 10x that in other repairs and parts non gun related.
That would be the printers roll also not much in the way of gun stuff.
Matter of fact like the rest of the machines it would probably see very little gun related items come across the printer's print bed.

Knowing me, I'll spend endless hours researching the printers just to buy a Atlas or AMMCO shaper.

BTW killer 1:2 M16 ya printed there.
Now to hit that jet.com site and have a look at what they offer.

And Yes! Please give a more detailed description on your printer.
What you like and don't like would be a good primer.

Rich
PS:
Sorry for the Novel I just typed!

Last edited:

timkel

This is the printer I ordered from jet. Price that day was 249.99 delivered. It is an entry level printer. Setup was simple and fast. Then a crash course in STL , GCODE, scaling, xyz pos, Cura, ect. I have not had one problem printing so far. I see potential in this technology.
https://jet.com/product/Maker-Select-3D-Printer-v2/190ce82c514a4383a71300db1cfd5d24

I don't think the PLA plastic I used is suitable for live firearms. But if you look around your home , so many items are made of plastic now. I think this type of printer will be useful.

American180

UZI Talk Supporter
I have the Rostock MAX v2 from seemecnc. I bought the kit for $899. It's a 24 hour build but you learn a lot about printers when you go this route. I picked this on because it has one of the largest build platforms.

edit. I wanted to add: Some of the reasons home build platforms don't go much bigger is because the previous layer of plastic needs to remain hot for the next layer to stick, part warpage can happen if it's a long part and time. 3D printing is slow. It's nothing for a simple part to take 6 hours to print. I prefer to print with ABS because the part is stronger than PLA and doesn't warp in the heat as easily. PLA is easier to paint and you can get away without a heated build platform.

Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
That printer looks pretty decent.
Like I said not many if any gun parts would go through it with me anyways.

But yes I see where they have their uses for other things.
Gcode and Mcode are no problems for me used them both in my 20's so that would come right back with some practice.

The home printers seem to still be way behind on the industrial and medical printers.
That just might be a good thing too. I've seen in the past where they want to regulate them like they did with the drones.

Your printer is 8x8x8 how much of that space is usable?
I it also says it uses all the filaments on the market ( minus the metal powders of course) how many different ones have you tried?

I wonder if the replicator/scanner options on these printers are worth it?
That would be a real fast solution to making something that was broke provided you had the pieces.
Kinda like re cutting a gear from the old one that was broken.

Rich

American180

UZI Talk Supporter
Maximum Printable X/Y Area 11" Diameter (280mm)
Maximum Printable Square Size 7 3/4" (197mm)
Maximum Printable Z Height 14 3/4" (375mm)
I always though that some type of scanner would be nice but I've never had a need for one.
I've never had to mess with g codes or m codes on mine.
I've use PLA and ABS. Haven't had a chance to try anything else.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Check out the Lulzbot Mini (6x6 square build) or the Lulzbot Taz6 for larger stuff.

Self leveling, comes with Cura. Very user friendly and some of the highest resolution possible at mid level prices. Works with nearly all the exotic filaments too.

I did a ton of research over months' time and settled on the Mini. After nearly a year there still isn't one I'd choose over this for the money.

timkel

Just completed restoring the bottom M16 in picture. The butt, handguard and pistol grip were all made on a 3d printer.
upload pic

Note...these are 1:2 miniatures. Everything in pics are 1:2 size. Each m16 is 20" long.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
That there is some slick work.

Glad you followed up with finished pix.

Rich

freedomfalcon

Those prints look amazing!! Could you post or pm the link to the buttstock? I can't seem to find it on GrabCad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter