2 Problems - Norinco Uzi Semi Carbine, Model B - Is the Blocking Latch Needed ?

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Hello all, I'm new here and need some advice. I have a Norinco, semi auto full size Uzi model B carbine. For a while it was shooting fine. Now, 2 things are happening and not even sure if they're related.

1) When I'm done shooting and want to unload it, I remove the mag, rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber and it doesn't eject. Even after several tries. I have to fire this round (spent shell always ejects). This has been happening for a month now. I have cleaned it, inspected it and I can't see anything wrong. While I'm firing the gun it always ejects the spent shells so I'm thinking it isn't the extractor. The ejector looks fine too. It has me baffled.

2) Lately, when I pull the trigger is hits the primer very lightly. Does this all the time. After looking at it carefully I've decided that the blocking latch is turned up and is in the way and prevents the firing pin to hit the primer completely. Here's my question - do I need the blocking latch and it's spring at all? I can't figure out what it's for and I want to remove it!? Whatta you guys think?

Many thanks for any advice.
David

Machines

Problem 1 is almost certainly the extractor. Blowback firearms don't actually need extractors to function when firing, so no extraction when you manually cycle the gun would indicate a problem there. But with problem 2 involved I'm wondering if there's a bigger issue, like your bolt isn't seating fully forwards into battery.

Last edited:

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for your reply.......Ok on the extractor, that makes sense. I tried to get the slotted pin holding it in, out. With the right size punch and a hammer. It wouldn't budge. I even tried to close the slot (the end is like a cotter pin) on the pin with needle nose pliers. No good. I hate to whack it good for fear of damaging it but I might have to.

If the blocking latch is set down correctly it fires fine, but only for a while. I'd like to just take the damn thing out. Can't see why I can't but you probably know better than me.

Appreciate your input.
David

Funker

UZI Talk Supporter
The extractor on my IMI model A carbine was the only piece that has broken. I've had this since 85-86 time frame. So it does happen. I put a FA extractor in my semi and it has worked for the past 20 years.
I'm not sure why your retaining pin is not coming out. I cant help you there. Sorry about that.

Semper Fi
Phil

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks anyway.....I'm going to give it another try later. it's frustrating me no end. I still haven't heard from anyone about removing the blocking latch. Maybe no body knows for sure? Where did you get the extractor and will a FA fit my semi B model Norinco?

David

Machines

You can remove the firing pin block and it'll still function, but then you'll be in danger of out of battery discharges. Which might be an issue with you if your bolt isn't going home all the way.

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks Machines, much appreciated. I'm pretty certain the bolt goes home all the way, BUT, when it doesn't it hits that blocking latch which seems to turn up. The bolt then hits it and can't go all the way forward. Does that make sense? I can't figure out why or how this happens though. I suspect it's when after I clean it and put the bolt back in, because the firing pin piece has to be held with my fingers while I put it in. If I'm not careful and it moves the blocking latch closes (or raises up) and prevents the bolt from fully closing and/or the firing pin to fully hit the primer. Does this make sense ?

Many thanks again,
David

Machines

It's hard for me to follow your description exactly, but the mechanism is pretty simple. The extractor is held in by that split pin which also is the pivot point for the firing pin block. The ejector fin is what pushes the block up out of the way when the bolt closes. If I had to guess I'd say something is broken or jammed and keeping the block from moving or the bolt closing all the way. I've only seen IMI guns so I don't know if Norincos are different.

cajun 22

UZI Talk Life Member
That extractor retaining pin should come out pretty easy. If it does not then something is wrong. If the pin is tight it could be that it is broken and allowed the extractor to rotate a little. This could explain why the round is not being pulled out of the chamber. You can check this by taking the bolt out and putting an empty cartridge on the bolt face to see if it holds the round. This would also cause the bolt safety to not rotate freely if the retaining pin is in a bind. I would make sure that you have the right size punch and drive the pin out. This should solve your issues.

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks.....I'll look into all your valuable suggestions. My 1st problem I have to solve is getting that damn pin out. I'm using the correct size punch and I squeezed the split end of the pin together with needle nose pliers thinking they might be too wide and holding it back. I even sprayed wd40 to help loosen it up. Nothing seems to work and I hate to really hit the punch with my hammer like I'm driving a 10 penny nail home. Very frustrating to say the least. I'm going to try to rotate the slot on the end of the extractor see if that loosens it.

MPA guy

Put the entire bolt in the freezer overnight.

If it's a matter of the pin being large, cold temps cause things to shrink apart, however slightly. It may be enough to let you push it out. I'm guessing that cajun22 is correct about the part being broken and wedged up.

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Hmmmm, good, I'll try that....never thought of that freezer idea. If that doesn't work I can always drop it in my water glass 1/2 full of bourbon for a chill.

David

Funker

UZI Talk Supporter
The pin should push out. You shouldn't need a hammer and punch. I use the tip of a FMJ 9mm to push it out with my fingers.
I think cajun22 is on to something. The extractor will come out from the back. It has a flat tip screw slot on the back. Can you move the extractor and make sure it is aligned and try pushing the pin once verified.

Semper Fi
Phil

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
I tried turning that flat tip scew slot on the end of the extractor....doesn't budge. The pin won't budge either. The bolt safety DOES rotate freely, up and down. It is not tight or binding in any way. It moves very freely.

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
and the extractor will not hold an empty shell casing as cajun22 suggested I try so the extractor surely needs replacing. But for the life of me I can't get that damn pin to budge. it's soaking in wd40 right now in the hopes that it might free up.

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Here are 3 pictures....I hope they show up. I'm not too good at this.

1_f.jpg

2_f.jpg

3_f.jpg

Machines

Your extractor is definitely messed up. It should be pushing much closer to the firing pin hole on the bolt face. I'd assume it's either broken or so dirty it can't spring back and forth.

That pin should just come out with a little tapping. If it's that stuck after soaking, you might just have to drive it out with force and get a new pin. I get the feeling you might have a hard time tapping the extractor out once the pin is out, too.

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Yep, I figured as much. The thing I noticed when I used the wd40......little bits of sand are present. I'm guessing the sand and metal are binding it up good. So far I've been trying to get the pin out on my work bench. Now with all your good sound advise I'm thinking outside on a hard, non moving surface and bang the crap out of it to get it out....then deal with whatever else comes up (hopefully out, too). I was putting off this decision until I reached out to you guys. I REALLY appreciate all your input.....and the rest of you all as well.

I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome. Worst case scenario I reckon is a new bolt....could be worse I guess.

Many thanks again,
David

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter