12 ga upper for M-11/9 project

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
That was my upper prototype, put through AI software. The Saiga gas system is still visible.

The real thing is back in my possession… another day, another delay! My shop guy got a smack down from his lawyer for working on a firearm. It’s just an upper, of course… but that would have been an unproductive conversation! I’ve already found a new shop and will be dropping it off Tuesday. Hopefully these guys can get us through this most critical step and on to the downhill portion of this journey.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
How did his lawyer even know what he is working on? Does his lawyer keep tabs on every job that walks in the door? You must be paying a ridiculous hourly rate for a fabricator/machinist who has a lawyer that is that thorough…

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Seemed fishy to me but I wasn’t going to question him. It could have easily been BS. Maybe he got nervous about working on a part that clearly could be a firearm… but whatever- if someone isn’t able to confidently do a job, or doesn’t want to do it, I’d rather they not do it! Slight delay of game but we’ll be back to it next week.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Are you still relying on the makers space at Your local Public library that cut your parts?

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Are you still relying on the makers space at Your local Public library that cut your parts?
No, that was primarily for the side plates. We’re in an assembly phase now. Once the shotgun subassembly is mounted, we need to make the bolt. The makers space can’t do that, but I have people willing to help. I already have a cad model but it will need some modification. I need to prototype the bolt in the current build to get correct dimensions- specifically length. The bolt needs to be long enough that when fully back, the Saiga bolt carrier doesn’t leave its rails… but not too short, so spent shells get cleanly ejected. I can always make it to the “outer” tolerance and then cut it back a little or use buffers to fine tune it. The prior step and current one are probably the most difficult and time consuming, so I’ll be very excited to move beyond them.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter