12 ga upper for M-11/9 project

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Just returned from the shop. I love living in the city. This guy is older and experienced and happy to do the work, and he is a few minutes away instead of 40! I expect a 1-2 week turnaround but this is what will be done:

- Top mounting bracket for Mac upper will be welded onto the top of the bolt channel.
- Four holes will be drilled and tapped, to mount the Mac upper component between the side plates.

Once completed, the Mac lower can be installed and the dummy guide bolt used to position the Saiga assembly between the plates for mounting. Seems like not a long ways to go... I often forget how much has already been done!

Last edited:

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Time check: we’re at about five years. So the old make an estimate and double it and double it again rule applies- which puts us at one year to go, though at the moment I’m optimistic it will be sooner!

mwarnick1

You’re doing great! My 30mm cannon build was a 10 year project. It had long gaps of burnout between periods of work

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Sorry for both the poor photo quality and staging but this shows what is being done this week. The modified Mac upper will be mounted between the plates (approximately as shown) and the upper will then accept the registered lower.

CD5-C4152-A6-BD-49-DC-ADC9-78996-E4-BEBF4.jpg

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Upper channel is a little bit warped But the shop has agreed to true that tomorrow, so once that is done we can start mounting the shotgun assembly, then top cover and rail and stock mount. Final bolt measurements will be taken once the Mac and shotgun assemblies are mounted.

har1340

It's AWESOME that your taken time on this project. We all hope it will produce fruit and that one day this will be available to us peasents... KEEP GOING!

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Mounting complete. Some work to do now, to prepare for mounting the shotgun assembly.

6130-C3-AC-358-E-4-B14-AF4-A-1-DD82-E71-C35-B.png

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Really great test fitting - I thought there may be a major step ahead but it looks like very little material will need to be removed. Shotgun assembly bolt rails nearly rest upon the guide piece. (Note that a little more of the Mac bolt channel will be removed for the gas bolt clearance. When the custom bolt is installed, the gas bolt won’t be able to travel back far enough to escape the rails).

10-A49615-FC47-48-FA-96-EA-ECF4-D4967-A2-B.jpg

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
No update this week. Upper gets dropped off to mount the shotgun assembly on Monday, I expect it could take some time since precision is required- this piece must be properly aligned with the Mac mount for the bolt travel. Once the shotgun assembly is in, we’ll knock out the stock mount, stock and top cover before testing the printed bolt.

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Beta tester offer here :)

You’ll have to get in line- sorry but there are a few folks already waiting for that! We may be able to do some real functional testing soon... it suddenly feels much closer to the end of this than the start. I’d say ~80% there.

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Happy new year all, work is in progress this week. The shop guy was sick for a while and I was occupied with my other business ventures. Last year was crazy busy but we’re back to it!

pjm204

Happy new year all, work is in progress this week. The shop guy was sick for a while and I was occupied with my other business ventures. Last year was crazy busy but we’re back to it!
Look forward to seeing more updates!

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Kinda late for such changes, but have you considered mounting the mag on top, a la the Bren gun? Should be able to shorten the OAL by at least 3". Not a big deal for a vehicle mounted gun, but it would make a difference for something shoulder fired

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Kinda late for such changes, but have you considered mounting the mag on top, a la the Bren gun? Should be able to shorten the OAL by at least 3". Not a big deal for a vehicle mounted gun, but it would make a difference for something shoulder fired
I really like that idea… maybe even more as a mounted gun. Or dual mounted guns… one thing at a time!

My hope is if we can get this to run, others can build their own. That would be a great variant to see. If I had more bandwidth to work on it, I could build another one, much more quickly. But you also have to remember a lot of development would not need to be replicated.

Galil#1

Looks like a MAC ran into the back of an SKS. Wish you total success on this project Sir.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter