Interesting M11/9 upper

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Here’s an interesting one. Listed as an M11/9mm semi auto upper. Anybody able to point out what’s special about it? (Auction has ended and I won). He didn’t show the side of the bolt, only the underside. I fought hard to win this one. I had 2 people bidding against me, turns out both of them are in my email contact list and both of them did not realize what they were bidding on, unfortunately they bid me up by over 250 bucks before seeing my messages and realizing they didn’t know what they were bidding on and did not want it either… go figure. At least it didn’t go too high.

So let’s see who can identify this first…. Hint, look closely at the strap hanger, oh and it’s an SMG upper not semi.

IMG_2243.png

IMG_2244.png
IMG_2245.png
IMG_2246.png

Last edited:

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Ahh SWD OEM upper?
It is indeed an SWD mfg OEM upper, but that is not what is unique about it. I think there are most likely more of the OEM Cobray parts out there than there are aftermarket manufactured replacements. Not that it makes it any less desirable, but a Cobray manufactured M11/9 part or component is not at all rare or unusual in and of itself, but this particular one is.

Garrett

Is that a 2-piece bolt? As in closed bolt with a “slide hammer” and striker?

smdub

UZI Talk Life Member
I fought hard to win this one. I had 2 people bidding against me, turns out both of them are in my email contact list and both of them did not realize what they were bidding on, unfortunately they bid me up by over 250 bucks before seeing my messages and realizing they didn’t know what they were bidding on and did not want it either… go figure. At least it didn’t go too high.
FWIW, That is bidder collusion and I believe illegal just about everywhere. Sure it happens but most don't openly admit it.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
FWIW, That is bidder collusion and I believe illegal just about everywhere. Sure it happens but most don't openly admit it.
Ummmm yeah. I don’t think it was “illegal” for me to tell those guys that they were bidding on an item that was incorrectly listed, in fact they were quite appreciative of the heads up and would have been pretty bummed if they received this thinking it was an M11/9mm standard semi auto upper and then it didn’t work at all because it’s for a machine gun only, or worse, they installed it on their semi auto and had a run away slam fire when chambering a round with the fixed firing pin, but thanks for the tip. I’ll continue to message whoever I want about whatever I want on the auction, “illegal” or not.

By the way, the purpose of bidder collusion is to boost the price of your own auctions… or someone you are working with. Otherwise known as “shill bidding”. Not to get other people to stop bidding on someone else’s auction because it is listed incorrectly… this was not “bidder collusion” but there’s always gotta be that guy… you must be fun at parties.

Last edited:

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
why does the strap hanger have a round hole vs a straight slot?
i can't get the pics blowed up enough to see much else

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
why does the strap hanger have a round hole vs a straight slot?
i can't get the pics blowed up enough to see much else
Here’s some better copies of the pics. The strap hanger slot is normal, but there is something unique about that strap hanger if you look closely. This is a huge hint, the answer is in the strap hanger.

IMG_2378.png
IMG_2376.png

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
I'll dump these 4 pages here.

I am clearly not on your level.
I know more than some but you Sir have taken this to a New level.

Don't get me wrong..I love it
How something so stupid simple got convoluted into what we have here ..idk

You probly could have contributed info to the book...I sense you were likely too young then but i may be way off base.

You bring to the table....stuff we as a group have never heard of.

I'm a simplton and love to see folks take it too a new level.

Keep digging.
and eventually spill the beans on this dealiO....You fried my Noodle.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Yeah I was probably too young when the book came out, I’m 37 now, I have collected the Cobray stuff since my teens, didn’t get super into it until my late 20s.

If they ever update that book, I will absolutely be involved in some way, be it providing some info or providing some rare accessories for the photos. I have plans to do my own collectors guide to Cobray parts and accessories but I keep getting sidelined by life.

I’m gonna let this thread run for one more day and see if anyone gets it. If it’s still not answered by dinner time tonight I’ll spill the beans. I’ve had fun with this one and I’m actually surprised nobody has thought of it yet!

By the way, that was quite the thread about the front straps, the strap hanger in question here is of the standard type, the slot is a trapezoid shape and allows the installation of the snap button straps, vs the earlier examples that were just a narrow slit for the garand spring steel clip on the front strap and the newer style snap straps won’t fit because of the dot snap fastener.

That said, the location of the logo on this particular strap hanger is very telling, that is another big hint.

Last edited:

forindooruseonly

I have no idea, but I'm looking forward to hearing what it is! Why I need more trivia I have no use for and on a gun I won't ever get, I don't know. It is fascinating, though.

Homer

barrel looks square but I'm not taking the time to get mine and take it apart to see what mine looks like

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Ok it looks like most of the regulars have checked out this post, I suppose I will spill the beans.

It is a rare early OEM m11/9 .380 “slo-fire” conversion that was offered by SWD. The early examples were made by taking a leftover RPB M11 .380 bolt and fusing about 2 inches of M11/9 bolt to the rear end for weight. As we all know, it is not necessary to swap the bolt to shoot .380, just the barrel, and I have always assumed that these bolts were a gimmick by SWD in an effort to use up all those leftover cast M11 bolts since they had switched over to the machined design for their production guns.

The reason I said the strap hanger is a clue is because it is the smaller size 380 style strap hanger with the offset Cobray logo that was used by SWD exclusively on the M11A1 .380. It’s made for the older barrel lug diameter and has a captive strap hanger. SWD also used that strap hanger as the rear sling swivel on the Cobray terminator.

Since he doesn’t show the side of the bolt it makes it a lot harder to identify. I only decided to look at the listing because it had that earlier style solid ribbed charging knob. When I noticed the bolt I wasn’t sure what I was looking at initially. Then after a moment of analyzing, I figured it out. I then noticed the strap hanger was the 380 SWD type and that sealed the deal.

IMG_2456.jpeg
IMG_2453.jpegIMG_2454.jpeg
IMG_2455.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter