MAX 10-15/11-15 Caliber Mod Thread

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
For the Mac 11/9 or 10/9:
9mm
DMAC dual Mac upper (two receivers firing 9mm)
S&W 40
.45 APC
7.62x
556/223
(12 gauge upper build in progress)

Added the 10/9 and .45 (though I’d like to see .45 out of an 11/9). 30 Carbine would be nice, so would 10mm or 357... does anyone have an upper in that caliber that runs?

techspy

For the Mac 11/9 or 10/9:
9mm
DMAC dual Mac upper (two receivers firing 9mm)
S&W 40
.45 APC
7.62x
556/223
(12 gauge upper build in progress)

Added the 10/9 and .45 (though I’d like to see .45 out of an 11/9). 30 Carbine would be nice, so would 10mm or 357... does anyone have an upper in that caliber that runs?

A 7.62x51 would be cool. I imagine it would technically be possible with the Max 10-15 (actually probably not so straight forward). rybread, you still on the outskirts of Charlotte? Still have a place to shoot? Maybe I could head over one day to test/troubleshoot my 7.62x39 setup.

Last edited:

M10

If you watch videos of folks firing 7.62 NATO mag dumps, it looks rather tough to hold on target. 5.56, however, man it hardly kicks.

I wanted to convert to 7.62*39 until I took the stock 11/15a1 upper out to the range. It's staying 5.56. I can save the brass from most 5.56, and just that makes up for the slight cost difference.

7.62 NATO gets fired from a DMR or a bolt action. At $1.00 a round, I will pass on having to replace 308...

techspy

Well when the zombies attack, being able to utilize many different calibers with one firearm may be advantageous. You never know what you will be able to loot! ;)

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I just got back from the range this morning. I was testing the Cry Havoc Quick Detach Barrel system for the Max-11A1/15 upper this last week. I was having a few issues but Richard very generously helped me through the issues. I must have switched between the QDB system and Richard's OEM upper about 20 times in the last 2 weeks.

I think the Cry Havoc QDB is the better QDB system over the DOLOS and LEO because it does not use spring and is lighter but the modified gas tubes are the weakness because they are not nitrided and are not as cheap as standard gas tubes.

The upper has been flawless for the last week in 223 and 300 BO. I think Richard's extra power spring has really made a difference.

My Armatac 150 round SAW-Mag ran flawlessly too for last 3 times, except for the one stovepipe that was probably caused by my brass catcher filling up. I love the SAW-MAG. I might need to save to buy another.

The Max-11A1 with a bipod, RDS and Richards polymer stock feels like a real SAW. I just love it. I also agree with Richard, it seems to run cleaner with an open bolt system.

techspy

So I have a whole new setup ready to test. A different barrel, bolt, cam pin and firing pin. Tested with go/nogo gauges and all seems good. One thing I did find however was that when I attached the barrel, there is enough variance in the alignment cutout/barrel pin that if I tighten it down without using the bolt to ensure proper alignment, it can be off enough to cause the bolt to not line up perfectly with the barrel extension. I even had it rest on the extension during one hand cycle without it seating/locking. As I said previously, I am not an AR expert (ask me about HKs and AKs though!) so maybe I am missing some simple process when assembling. Anyway, I will report back when I have another (hopefully successful) range test.

strobo32, maybe your QD setup takes care of this? Would love to see come picts or even a video on how yours is setup/swapped.

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
I just got back from the range this morning. I was testing the Cry Havoc Quick Detach Barrel system for the Max-11A1/15 upper this last week. I was having a few issues but Richard very generously helped me through the issues. I must have switched between the QDB system and Richard's OEM upper about 20 times in the last 2 weeks.

I think the Cry Havoc QDB is the better QDB system over the DOLOS and LEO because it does not use spring and is lighter but the modified gas tubes are the weakness because they are not nitrided and are not as cheap as standard gas tubes.

The upper has been flawless for the last week in 223 and 300 BO. I think Richard's extra power spring has really made a difference.

My Armatac 150 round SAW-Mag ran flawlessly too for last 3 times, except for the one stovepipe that was probably caused by my brass catcher filling up. I love the SAW-MAG. I might need to save to buy another.

The Max-11A1 with a bipod, RDS and Richards polymer stock feels like a real SAW. I just love it. I also agree with Richard, it seems to run cleaner with an open bolt system.

This is awesome- photo?

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
The locking/alignment pin should be fairly tight in the alignment slot in the upper receiver threaded barrel collar. If the barrel manufacturer used a smaller pin, I have used folded tinfoil as a shim stock to align the barrel in the slot. Especially with an adjustable gas block, I have found the AR system so much softer shooting than the AK system, which tends to be over gassed. Because of the greater energy of 7.62x39 and the longer dwell time, there is a noticeable recoil difference between that and 5.56X45, but the round is still very controllable in full auto. I have always wondered why BETACO never made a 7.62x39 tower/modifications to their 100 round drum for this caliber. I have an AR tower welded into a 75 round Chinese style AK drum that is fun that is pre '94. The modern 7.62x39 AR mags works well, but with the choices Russia has made, cheap steel cased 7.62x39 will probably not be so "cheap" anymore. I don't know of a manufacturer making 7.62x39 drums with an AR tower and more.

Scott

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
strobo32, maybe your QD setup takes care of this? Would love to see come picts or even a video on how yours is setup/swapped.

I had similar problems with the barrel being loose in the upper until the barrel nut is tight. The quick detach barrel system made it worse. The part about the Cry Havoc QDB is you have to be careful about tightening the 3 screws that connect the barrel to the barrel plate. The space must be equal and have equal torque, 40 inch pounds. Yes, I bought the tool.

Installation video
https://cryhavoctac.com/video-66.html

Here is a video of switching barrels. The 22:50 mark shows a noob switching between barrels.

Using the bolt as alignment tool can help but it's not a fool proof method. I think the problem with my Max-11A1/15 upper was the clam shells were not quite aligned, which made it difficult to keep the barrel concentric. Despite the shell alignment pins, the barrel was a tad loose in the upper (up down/ side to side) until the barrel nut was tight. Maybe there was debris between the shell haves. I'm still not sure if that was the problem, but when I took the receiver completely apart, thoroughly cleaned it and put it back together, I was supper careful about barrel alignment. I know it made a difference because the barrel nut was easier to screw down using only finger strength. It always felt like the barrel nut was cross threading before. Whatever problems led to the light primer strikes, they disappeared.

I also tried Scott's aluminum foil trick and was about to order some .003 SS shim for the space between the receiver and the barrel collar. After aligning the upper. halves, the barrel hole was more evenly round. Whatever the issues were, it is running great now and I will never take the receiver apart again. :)

52249497110_f3c41d896a_b.jpg

Last edited:

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Another issue I had was the CMMG ambi mag catch. If it is not rotated to the exact number of rotations, the mag can sit too low leading to bullets set backs in the case. Once installed correctly, it worked great. Taking the receiver clam shells apart allowed me access to remove the burrs that formed in the aluminum receiver just under the barrel collar.

Last edited:

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I also like the impulse of the 223 better than the Blackout. I'm set up now for reloading 223 and can make them for .25 a round at today's prices. Until ammo prices match that, 223 will be my ammo of choice. 223 also works better in the SAW MAG. I just made 3K rounds so local watermelons are in danger. There is a roadside vegetable stand on the way to the range.

I will be setting up a QD 20" barrel now to take advantage of the velocity.

Public enemy #1
watermelons_001.jpg

Last edited:

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
Save the Tatas...I mean melons!

Matt, you are a mad scientist and I love you!

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I love you too Jake.

Did anyone ever test the 458 or 50 Beowulf on the Max-11/15?

Last edited:

Deerhurst

I assume standard AR firing pin?

For hard primers might want an "enhanced" firing pin.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter