VMAC9s - good to go?

litfire145

Looking to get my feet wet with MACs, had a Cobray a long time back that wouldn’t run for love or money. Are the VMAC9s that Velocity makes any good? I know they’re a little different than the standard stuff.

Or what about the older MPA-30? Looking to stay with Sten mags since I have those on hand.

10mmlover

Are they ever actually available? I've been on the notification list on their website for more than a year and a couple other sites and they've never come back in stock. If I didn't see the occasional person show one on youtube, I wouldn't be convinced they exist.

litfire145

Are they ever actually available? I've been on the notification list on their website for more than a year and a couple other sites and they've never come back in stock. If I didn't see the occasional person show one on youtube, I wouldn't be convinced they exist.
Their notification email list doesn’t really work. I caught them in stock by accident a month or so ago but they were sold out by the time I convinced myself to take the plunge. Unfortunately you just have to check in with them often.

litfire145

Bumping this since I got an in stock notification again. They seem to only make a batch of these a few times a year. I’ll make a review of one when I get it in and shoot it some.

pjm204

I tried to order a few as a dealer but they're not currently doing dealer sales. I've bought a bunch in the past, they seem well made.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Velocity guns aren’t bad for a closed bolt semi auto MAC type pistol. It will shoot. I am not sure how they are on parts availability as I believe their 11/9 platform may be a slightly different spec than the originals in a few spots, the front takedown pin is a little different and I think the frame may be slightly wider but I cannot recall for sure. You will probably be happy with it. Are they good guns? Well “good gun” is subjective. Will it fire when you pull the trigger? Probably. Will it hit what you want it to? Probably not but it is still fun to try!

litfire145

Velocity guns aren’t bad for a closed bolt semi auto MAC type pistol. It will shoot. I am not sure how they are on parts availability as I believe their 11/9 platform may be a slightly different spec than the originals in a few spots, the front takedown pin is a little different and I think the frame may be slightly wider but I cannot recall for sure. You will probably be happy with it. Are they good guns? Well “good gun” is subjective. Will it fire when you pull the trigger? Probably. Will it hit what you want it to? Probably not but it is still fun to try!
For $429 or whatever, meh it fills the gap and makes use of the pile of Sten magazines I have. Velocity parts seem to be what the 3d print guys love right now so factory parts are plentiful for now.

I have heard the frame is a bit wider, not sure how much that affects internal parts dimensions. Some guys run MPA bolts in their Velocity receivers. For whatever reason, nobody mentions trigger slap in the Velocity design. No clue why that would be the case unless there’s a difference internally. It seems they run good too, but not a lot of info out there. Possibly due to their low production runs?

The “problem” with the original Cobrays is I sold mine back when they cost about what a Velocity costs today. Getting back into one last I checked is $700-900 with maybe one iffy Zytel magazine. Same with a used MPA930, if you can find one. I just can’t justify that much for what it is. But for low $400s, we’ll see how well this one does and it likely will just be a good once a year sort of blaster, lol.

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
When you get your Velocity I would love to see pics of the lower internals.
I'm wondering if they use the Max Attchison design of the SWD semi M11/9 fire control group or if they came up with their own design

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
For $429 or whatever, meh it fills the gap and makes use of the pile of Sten magazines I have. Velocity parts seem to be what the 3d print guys love right now so factory parts are plentiful for now.

I have heard the frame is a bit wider, not sure how much that affects internal parts dimensions. Some guys run MPA bolts in their Velocity receivers. For whatever reason, nobody mentions trigger slap in the Velocity design. No clue why that would be the case unless there’s a difference internally. It seems they run good too, but not a lot of info out there. Possibly due to their low production runs?

The “problem” with the original Cobrays is I sold mine back when they cost about what a Velocity costs today. Getting back into one last I checked is $700-900 with maybe one iffy Zytel magazine. Same with a used MPA930, if you can find one. I just can’t justify that much for what it is. But for low $400s, we’ll see how well this one does and it likely will just be a good once a year sort of blaster, lol.
If you just want a shooter the VMAC is a good choice. Cobrays are cool collectibles but at the end of the day, a semi auto Cobray M11/9 from the 90s (most I see are 90-94 guns) are junk, the welds are trash, the edges are sharp and will cut the shit out of your hand when cocking the gun (and they’re not easy to cock either). Not to mention the trigger slap.

The newer designs have managed to remove the trigger slap somehow. I believe MPA was the one who first implemented the newly re-designed components to reduce the slap. They also modified the bolt for easier cocking, rounded off the rear corner where it contacts the hammer on the way back.

as a collector, I would always want an original Cobray gun… but from a shooting standpoint the MPA930 (old school model, not their hideous new abomination) and the VMAC are probably gonna be more comfortable and enjoyable to mess with at the range than a LEINAD M11 that requires bandaids in the range bag.

You are correct about the VMAC side charger parts being popular for the poison SUMAC or whatever 3d printed design they work with. A new outfit is even manufacturing semi auto bolts and other pieces that are built to VMAC spec for use with 3d printed kits.

If you like to tinker in the shop, building a MAC type gun from a flat or a weld kit is very simple and rewarding when it’s done. It can also be a money saver if you are smart with where you buy the parts. I am not really into the 3d printed stuff personally, so I’m not gonna reccomend that route for cost effectiveness, but the other avenue is a very viable option. Velocity sells frame sets but you would have to find side plates elsewhere I believe, they aren’t too hard to come by and most are pre-drilled for the closed bolt semi auto FCG.

Last edited:

SPARKY42180

I have a MPA 930sst side cocker along with a full size with 16” barrel and skeleton stock. The rifle version does not even have a model number.

I saw the mini (930) on gun broker go for $1,300 a week or so ago.

Why are they so expensive now?

I paid around $400 for it a long time ago.

litfire145

I have a MPA 930sst side cocker along with a full size with 16” barrel and skeleton stock. The rifle version does not even have a model number.

I saw the mini (930) on gun broker go for $1,300 a week or so ago.

Why are they so expensive now?

I paid around $400 for it a long time ago.
I think solely because of scarcity and the cult following they have. $500 is about my absolute max for a semi auto mac clone.

Stay tuned for the VMAC review everyone. I received mine earlier and ran it through its paces. I won’t say much before the write up, but I will say it’s worth what I paid and it did function flawlessly with bottom of an ammo can, various loose leftover 9mm!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter