Uzi Pro Post Sample Full Auto conversion information

rlairdm60

Hello all,
I just got my FFL type 1 changed to a type 7. I'm waiting for the SOT renewal in June before I switch to my type 7. Are any of you type 7?, and if so, do you have any conversion information that you would be willing to sale or share for an Uzi PRO, or any other resources for manufacturers, conversion how to, etc.
I'm comfortable with Uzi full size conversion, as I have seen it is well covered in this forum, but I am looking more for resources on a broad range of firearms. Thanks

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I am an FFL/SOT type 7 also but never had a desire to do a post sample UZI Micro or UZI Pro. I did have a fully transferrable Micro RR that I sold and don't really miss it other than to have the complete legacy UZI collection.

The questions that come to mind for me are:
1. Closed or open bolt?
2. I have never seen a factory IWI UZI Pro select fire lower in the US. I presume some post samples may have been imported just never seen them myself. Assuming you can't get an original IWI select fire lower, I presume you be using a semi UZI Pro lower

1. For being factory correct that would mean it would be closed bolt as the Micro's and FA UZI Pro's seen in Israel are all closed bolt.
Here is an old video comparing my old Micro in closed vs open bolt.

I personally would do closed bolt for a Micro since that is how the factory FA's are and they have a faster cyclic rate which just adds to the wow factor. I think that all gets old though and prefer a slower cyclic rate and the Mini UZI in open bolt with the BarrelXchange is the ultimate for me. If I want to go fast, I can just drop in my closed bolt assembly in the Mini and the cyclic rate is identical to the Micro as they have the same bolt travel....which again is why I don't miss the Micro.

On the UZI Pistol's and Micro UZI's they have a notch on the top of the bolt for the cocking lug but since the UZI Pro is a side charger, I would think it doesn't need that notch on the top. I don't know if there is a relief on the left side or what.
All that said, I'm pretty sure if you can find a FA Mini or Micro closed bolt it would work fine in an UZI Pro w/ very little if any modification. Both are pretty rare but with some old Micro parts kits that came into the US over the past decade, you may be able to pick one up.

You can also weld the lip to a semi Mini or Pistol bolt. Vector used to do this back in the day and I had a few done by them. Don't know anyone doing that today but would assume anyone skilled in TIG welding could do it.

2. I also wrote the conversion article here: https://uzitalk.com/reference/pages/FAconversions.htm#Conversion Overview
In that article I mentioned the existence of the UZI 'kicker' from a Sept 1984 article in a Firepower magazine. I know I've seen pictures of them before but can't recall if I saved any. It is pretty simple in that all it is a different selector. You could easily make one from sheet metal.
I bring this up in regards to point 2, because I think it would be easy to do a post sample kicker and use a standard semi UZI Pro lower and just have safe and full auto.
So you would be able to easily put the gun back to Title one status if desired.
Or if you want to make it select fire then register the grip frame (assuming there is a selector block in the lower like there is for the other UZI's that needs to be removed but again, I never owned an UZI Pro so can't confirm).

rlairdm60

I am an FFL/SOT type 7 also but never had a desire to do a post sample UZI Micro or UZI Pro. I did have a fully transferrable Micro RR that I sold and don't really miss it other than to have the complete legacy UZI collection.

The questions that come to mind for me are:
1. Closed or open bolt?
2. I have never seen a factory IWI UZI Pro select fire lower in the US. I presume some post samples may have been imported just never seen them myself. Assuming you can't get an original IWI select fire lower, I presume you be using a semi UZI Pro lower

1. For being factory correct that would mean it would be closed bolt as the Micro's and FA UZI Pro's seen in Israel are all closed bolt.
Here is an old video comparing my old Micro in closed vs open bolt.

I personally would do closed bolt for a Micro since that is how the factory FA's are and they have a faster cyclic rate which just adds to the wow factor. I think that all gets old though and prefer a slower cyclic rate and the Mini UZI in open bolt with the BarrelXchange is the ultimate for me. If I want to go fast, I can just drop in my closed bolt assembly in the Mini and the cyclic rate is identical to the Micro as they have the same bolt travel....which again is why I don't miss the Micro.

On the UZI Pistol's and Micro UZI's they have a notch on the top of the bolt for the cocking lug but since the UZI Pro is a side charger, I would think it doesn't need that notch on the top. I don't know if there is a relief on the left side or what.
All that said, I'm pretty sure if you can find a FA Mini or Micro closed bolt it would work fine in an UZI Pro w/ very little if any modification. Both are pretty rare but with some old Micro parts kits that came into the US over the past decade, you may be able to pick one up.

You can also weld the lip to a semi Mini or Pistol bolt. Vector used to do this back in the day and I had a few done by them. Don't know anyone doing that today but would assume anyone skilled in TIG welding could do it.

2. I also wrote the conversion article here: https://uzitalk.com/reference/pages/FAconversions.htm#Conversion Overview
In that article I mentioned the existence of the UZI 'kicker' from a Sept 1984 article in a Firepower magazine. I know I've seen pictures of them before but can't recall if I saved any. It is pretty simple in that all it is a different selector. You could easily make one from sheet metal.
I bring this up in regards to point 2, because I think it would be easy to do a post sample kicker and use a standard semi UZI Pro lower and just have safe and full auto.
So you would be able to easily put the gun back to Title one status if desired.
Or if you want to make it select fire then register the grip frame (assuming there is a selector block in the lower like there is for the other UZI's that needs to be removed but again, I never owned an UZI Pro so can't confirm).
Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed answer. Yes, I was thinking I would go closed bolt and using the existing semi-lower. The only reason I considered starting with the PRO is that I saw a post sample for sale, and I happen to own one. I prefer the low cyclic rate myself, I have a full size UZI SMG and in my opinion, it has the perfect cyclic rate. It's very controllable and you can enjoy the mag a lot longer than you can on some of the the faster cycle guns. Again, Thanks for the reply it definately gave me some things to consider.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter