Uzi magazine converted to Colt mag, converted back to Uzi mag…

litfire145

I ran into this NOS German 32rd Uzi magazine that had been professionally converted for Colt use in my stash of magazines. I likely will never own a Colt pattern 9mm rifle so thought “nothing ventured, nothing gained”.

I found a junk ak magazine coupler in my pile that was the same gauge of steel and cut a section off and fit it to the Colt magazine catch slot. I disassembled the mag then turned my MIG welder as low as it would go and tacked it in place. I managed to not get any blow through into the magazine body and it didn’t warp the body at all. There is a little bit of pitting in my weld but I didn’t want to dwell much on repairing it. I feared I would warp the magazine body in the process or just blow through it. As long as it’s able to be smoothed out the Uzi mag catch glides right over any imperfections it seems.

I took it to the range and it ran just fine. So if anyone runs into one of these magazines in the wild with this Colt cut, and it’s cheap enough, don’t be afraid to make it usable for your Uzi. This is likely too much work if you pay more than $10-15 for the magazine seeing that 32rd mags are still $25 or so if you look and are patient.

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 19

litfire145

Also, I am by no means a professional welder. I am hardly a good amateur welder. With a little bit of know how it is very easy to do this.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
The colt cuts/conversion does not affect the use in a UZI in any way.

I swap my mags between my colt carbine and UZI's no issue.

the back of the converted mag has been milled out also so the colt bolt can pick up the round on the right side of the mag.
Did you replace that steel also?

One thing I will say is it's got to be a lot harder to fill in the two cuts then it is to make them.

I prefer my mags converted so I don't have to worry about grabbing one and it not working in my Colt carbine.
Next step is to put the UziPro cut in them so they work in all the guns I have that uze uzi mags in some fashion.

litfire145

The colt cuts/conversion does not affect the use in a UZI in any way.

I swap my mags between my colt carbine and UZI's no issue.

the back of the converted mag has been milled out also so the colt bolt can pick up the round on the right side of the mag.
Did you replace that steel also?

One thing I will say is it's got to be a lot harder to fill in the two cuts then it is to make them.

I prefer my mags converted so I don't have to worry about grabbing one and it not working in my Colt carbine.
Next step is to put the UziPro cut in them so they work in all the guns I have that uze uzi mags in some fashion.

Not sure about the cut up top/back that you’re referring to. This magazine would get caught by the Uzi catch in the Colt slot unless you held the Uzi catch while inserting the magazine.

I don’t have nor will I have a colt 9mm carbine so I didn’t want an odd duck mag that needed to be treated differently than others to insert or remove.

Edited to add: I do see the cut you mean so the Colt bolt will strip rounds out of the mag. I didn’t patch that as it does not affect how the Uzi bolt strips rounds.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Odd.
None of mine hang up in any of my uzi's.

If it works better for you then it's worth it

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter