Replacement barrel for Max11-15

tec9

Last time I was at the range shooting the Max11-15 I noticed the holes in the paper started looking oblong. What’s a good replacement barrell for this upper? Anybody have any advice or input on the process?

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I just bought two replacment barrels for my 10/15

A chrome lined FN 10.5 last one in stock 205 shipped
And a dirty bird 416r 10.3 105.55 shipped
Also have a rosco 12 inch put aside for it.

I expect the FN to last the longest and will go on last.

The Rosco was purchased years ago for my SBR AR15

I haven't noticed any issues yet but I'm aproching the 4k mark.
After seeing the GT vid of the FA suppressed only PSA upper I figured I needed a few spares while the getting is good since hat is how my upper is shot FA & suppressed only.

When I asked on another forum the recomendation was the FN chrome lined.
And the 416r for something not doing mag dumps.
I don't after a 2 or 3 mags I let it sit while I shoot something else.
Some guys are getting 12k out of FN CL 10.5 with proper care on FA (What they Claim)

I was also recomended the GM 10.5 CL 189 + whatever.
Probably order one of those soon too.

The way states are going I wanna make sure I have spare parts for even my son since now a few states have even banned the purchase of those.

tec9

Thanks for the reply. I might check out the green mountain barrell. I just want something that won’t wear out too quickly.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Got about 20k out of a green mountain chrome lined barrel before it started keyholing

Slowmo

Last time I was at the range shooting the Max11-15 I noticed the holes in the paper started looking oblong. What’s a good replacement barrell for this upper? Anybody have any advice or input on the process?
Just out of curiosity, how many rounds did it take to start seeing signs of keyholing?

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Just asking here, how through have you cleaned your barrel? How sharp do you see the corner between the lands and grooves? What about throat erosion? Has the chrome worn through where the rifling transitions to the chamber? The chrome is 0.001" to 0.002" in thickness. If the chrome is worn through, the steel underneath is a slightly different color.

Scott

Gaffshot

Sons of Liberty Gun Works. Lifetime warranty. Shoot it out and get a replacement.

mtlcafan79

I have a Rosco 10.5 waiting as a backup for mine when the time comes. SoLGW gets a thumbs up and would probably be the next one I would try.

Galil#1

WoW little 9mm and such a short service life barrel smh?
Why can't they make barrels out of much better superior materials... I would pay far more for far better.
IMHO 100K 9mm barrels should be really possible WTF? Yes I understand about heat and pressure etc. etc.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
WoW little 9mm and such a short service life barrel smh?
Why can't they make barrels out of much better superior materials... I would pay far more for far better.
IMHO 100K 9mm barrels should be really possible WTF? Yes I understand about heat and pressure etc. etc.
we are talking about 5.56 barrels. 10-20k is pretty good IMHO. I do have 9mm barrels with right at 100k on them and they are good

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I've noticed on my 45 aarp barrels the chamber swells out before the lands & grooves fill or wear out.
When I start getting split or real bad bulged cases I know it's time to swap it out.

Anyone know what Lage sent out as far as OEM barrels on the X/15 uppers?
I looked but it doesn't have any details on the specs on his site unless I missed it.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
I doubt Richard is going to share the specifics of his X/15 BBLs. 10-20K 5.56mm rounds is good BBL life, especially with mag dumping FA.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I looked at his site to see if he sold spares.
When I didn't see any listed looked @the specs and didn't see a brand either.
Would have prefered to just buy OEM spares since it's a good barrel or so it seems.
Barrels really aren't supper secret.
Most have markings that let you trace them back to country, mfg, and sometimes even year of production.
Not to mention other identifying marks if the are CL, chromoly. or what ever.
Haven't had the hand guards off to look either.
Don't plan to until it's showing signs of needing a new barrel.

Gaffshot

There are so many good AR barrel manufacturers now that it's crazy. There are so many bad AR barrel manufacturers not that it's crazy.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter