New (to me) Group Ind UZI and Ruger AC 556k

stillhere

My dad recently passed, and I became the new owner of his Ruger AC-556k and Group Industries UZI. Both appear unfired. These were guns he bought in 1990. After the Form 5s came back approved, I went shooting.

While I really like the Ruger, the UZI has my heart. That gun is so natural and intuitive to operate. The recoil is light and the cartridge is cheap. That's a perfect combination. On the other hand, the Ruger is a little intense in FA. It's heavier than I'd like, and FA-only parts don't seem to exist.

Anyway, it's been fun to get to know these weapons. I've had some reliability issues with the UZI, and they've been the kinds of problems that are hard to replicate. I've seen failures of all types. Sometimes it works fine. If I recall, I seemed to find the most trouble when burst-firing. Semi auto mode seemed fine. I wonder if my trigger technique is the issue.

Even though I've been running my handloads (including RNFP bullets that I cast), I've gone back to NATO ball for troubleshooting. I thought it was interesting, however, that my flat pointed cast bullets seem to feed the same as the ball ammo, which is to say 'good' but not perfectly.

One thing I don't get is how do people own these things without shooting them? They're so much fun.

RMA

Sorry to hear of your dad's passing and welcome to the forums. As for the GI Uzi having reliability issues take a look at your bolt, if there is the letter G engraved in it order a new FA bolt from BWE. That is what I did and problem solved. GI made bolts had issues with them and if your bolt has the letter G engraved that should be your problem right there.

stillhere

Sorry to hear of your dad's passing and welcome to the forums. As for the GI Uzi having reliability issues take a look at your bolt, if there is the letter G engraved in it order a new FA bolt from BWE. That is what I did and problem solved. GI made bolts had issues with them and if your bolt has the letter G engraved that should be your problem right there.

Thanks...
Yes, it is a Group Industries bolt. What's wrong with their bolts? Is there some known specific issue with them? Are there other things I can check first?

I hate to start throwing expensive parts at it this early in the process.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
Group Industries had pretty loose tolerances on their production. Main issues were with bolts and trunion welds. Not sure where you are, but if there in an UziTalk member close to you might be able to try his bolt in you gun to see if that solves the problem. If it does, FA bolts are not that expensive.

stillhere

Group Industries had pretty loose tolerances on their production. Main issues were with bolts and trunion welds. Not sure where you are, but if there in an UziTalk member close to you might be able to try his bolt in you gun to see if that solves the problem. If it does, FA bolts are not that expensive.
I'm south of Tucson...

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
Swap out bolt and spring with imi. You will find your fte issues may go away

Also polish feedramp with 2000 grit sandpaper and oil. Then use flintz

Pay attention to which side of the mag the jams come from. Often it's it's the left side only. On my gun it meant the receiver was not straight

The bolt,spring and ramp polish helped most of the issues

Feel free to pm me since I've been where you area

Buy a uzi parts kit. This will give you all you need to test your gun. Buy a few nos springs too

stillhere

Swap out bolt and spring with imi. You will find your fte issues may go away

Also polish feedramp with 2000 grit sandpaper and oil. Then use flintz

Pay attention to which side of the mag the jams come from. Often it's it's the left side only. On my gun it meant the receiver was not straight

The bolt,spring and ramp polish helped most of the issues

Feel free to pm me since I've been where you area

Buy a uzi parts kit. This will give you all you need to test your gun. Buy a few nos springs too

Thanks....

RMA

And before ordering a new FA bolt make sure your GI does not have a semi barrel first, if it does you will need to order one of BWE's relief machined FA bolts (my GI has a semi barrel) like most of the IMI GI guns out there. If yours is a Vector then a regular FA bolt would be needed then.

stillhere

Funny you ask...I had noticed some nicks in the the radiused lip (or whatever it's called). Here's what I'm talking about.DSC03296.JPG

When I got back my Form 5s, I took pictures of the Uzi and the Ruger. I still have the Form1s from 1990 when my dad bought them. I might need to look into getting a trust set up so my son doesn't have to futz with Form 5s when it's time to pass them on. I've since replaced the junky green GI grips with IMI grips which look and feel much better. The folding stock assembly was loose when extended, so I replaced it with a Fabrique Nationale NOS piece that came coated in cosmoline. It's totally tight now.DSC03273.JPGDSC03277.JPG

The Ruger is a folder, but I really didn't want to mess up the stock. I bought this one from Spiwak. Let's just say that after much hassle and piss-poor communication, I'm happy with the stock. But I'll never buy anything again from him.

RMA

Your Uzi listed above looks like a Vector to me (Model A) which typically all Vectors came that way. My IMI GI is a Model B. You can tell by the sides of the rear sites.

RMA

If you flip the Uzi on the opposite side of your photo listed above you will see the letters HR4332, then you will know it is a Vector. Also all full size Vector converted FA's came with FA barrel's (or at least the dozens I had seen listed for sale over the past years).

stillhere

How could it be a Vector? My understanding is that the serial number this low was made (and finished) by Group. It has no Vector markings.

RMA

I am not too sure on the low serial #'s myself (sequence etc) but just stating my personal observations. Every converted Vector I have seen over the past several years or so all look like yours. Nothing wrong with that just stating what I see in your photo's. I am sure a more seasoned fellow on here can shed more light on the subject Vector/Non Vector & what not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter