hadnt realized I needed a AR-15 until i found out there is the man option.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
So I have a dim opinion of the .223 cartridge for anything larger than a coyote (four footed variant). I had kinda tossed the .308 AR-10 idea around in my head. But never really convinced myself (other than casually). During a foreay into the internet I discovered the fabled .458 SOCOM cartridge. Love at first sight may be a understatement for what went through my little heart at that moment. I immediately started thinking of (rather making up) all of the reasons that I need a firearm chambered in this cartridge. My most valid reason is "just because". May seem stupid and shallow to others, but it makes sense to me. I considered doing a 80%, but it was going to cost more than buying a lower. Another hurdle is that i think the original AR Stoner side charging design is awesome, and the rear charging design is inconvenient and plain stupid (opinion). So i wanted a side charger.
I ordered the upper from KM tactical. Was a complete upper. Was the only side charger that looked cool and wasnt on the wrong side of a giant chunk of cash. The did ship me my .458 upper with a 7.62x39 bolt, which i would have prefered if i was assembling a 7.62. I returned the bcg and eventually they got me the correct bcg back. According to them it happened to another guy at the same time with the same caliber mixup. They had to ship my bolt to the manufacturer, and it seemed they had to custom make me a bolt. Oh well.
I mounted my Redfield Revolution 3-9 on it. Not thrilled with the scope mount placement, but not fond of the idea of putting one mount on the upper and the other on the foregrip.

Lower is a Anderson, upper is something from KM tactical, was the AR stoner brand on brownells, i think its a different brand here. Whatevers. Grip and stock are magpul, as are the mags. Grip has a hidey hole in it that is made to fit a gerber AR tool. Or vise versa.

Oh, havent shot it much yet, but the recoil is not bad at all. Shot some 300gr and some 400gr loads. Its no worse than a 20ga. Everything i had read made it sound like serious recoil... hence my conclusion that they are just a bunch of pansies.

Attachments

• PSX_20200825_210010.jpg
    PSX_20200825_210010.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 161

Fishman

T3f6XmD_d.webp

Don't forget about 50 beowulf and 450 bushmaster.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Did look into both of those. Reason i settled on the SOCOM is that its a little more conducive to firing subsonic granted it is using bullets that weigh as much as a bowling ball.

Fishman

450. It supresses well. I use the same integral supressor on my 45ACP when I want to shoot subs.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Was wondering if that was a sbr or integral. Mind showing pics of how you have your setup swappable? Hadnt thought could swap like that on a integral.

slimshady

havent shot it much yet, but the recoil is not bad at all. Shot some 300gr and some 400gr loads. Its no worse than a 20ga. Everything i had read made it sound like serious recoil... hence my conclusion that they are just a bunch of pansies.

A friend has one, he does cry when he shoots it. Not from the recoil, from the $3 a shot it costs him!

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Haha! The price tag on the ammo is kinda rediculous. I reload so it is negligibly better. Bought 250 cases from starline... $0.77 each. Going to be loading 570gr polymer coated cast bullits. Just got my form 1 approved for its suppressor (going to also mount on the Uzi).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter