Experience With 9X39 In The AR Platform

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Hey guys, I have seen a couple articles about this caliber, but not real user experience. I think that the concept is very cool. It seems that the 9X39 rounds will feed from both AR 7.62x39 standard magwell mags and AK mags. I have both the AR standard magwell mags and MGI AK magwell so I was thinking about getting a 9X39 upper. Any advice?

Scott

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Doubt anyone here has fired one personally.

Last edited:

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I am curious about the round, especially its performance from short barrels where the extra bullet weight and diameter might compensate for velocity loss

OldBesty

No experience, but have seen mentioned that typical 9mm suppressors may not have sufficient bore clearance to operate safely; the 9x39mm bullet diameter is 0.366 in.

Fishman

In the AR platform, what does 9x39 do that 338 whisper doesn't?

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member

Thank you so much for the link. That is exactly what I am looking for. Great thread about this caliber.

No experience, but have seen mentioned that typical 9mm suppressors may not have sufficient bore clearance to operate safely; the 9x39mm bullet diameter is 0.366 in.

I am thinking about adapting a can I already have. I bought two MP5-40 SD parts sets. Both kits came with a can. I don't know as I need two .40 caliber SD cans. I would think that a new mounting end cap and a modified gas block that the registered tube could thread onto might be cool. I might also need a custom stainless steel blast baffle to redirect the initial blast toward the back of the can.

In the AR platform, what does 9x39 do that 338 whisper doesn't?

I don't reload. The least expensive 338 Whisper ammo I could find was over 25.00 per box of 20. SGAmmo has a 760 round case of 9X39 subsonic for $500 plus $25.00 shipping. At just over half the money per round has appeal to me, especially since I have a DIAS. At least that is why I am interested. YMMV.

Scott

OldBesty

I am thinking about adapting a can I already have. I bought two MP5-40 SD parts sets. Both kits came with a can. I don't know as I need two .40 caliber SD cans. I would think that a new mounting end cap and a modified gas block that the registered tube could thread onto might be cool. I might also need a custom stainless steel blast baffle to redirect the initial blast toward the back of the can.

Hope to see pics if you go forward with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter