DLO Sterling Tubes

kyle

UZI Talk Life Member
What's the story on these tubes...

How many? Why now is there this sudden rush to build Sterlings. Are there any C&R Sterlings in circulation? I understand there are only about 100 tubes in the latest batch.

And once more, what does DLO stand for?

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
The sudden rush may be to buy a NIB machine gun... a transferable one that's 'kinda rare, reliable, robust, and a real treat to shoot. Complete parts kits are still available for $200.00 so you know you'll be able to keep it running should something break. Excellent and easy to load 34 round mags that can be had for as little as $10.00 each used, or NIW for $33.33. Sounds a lot like an UZI huh?

JLM sold a little more than a hundred of these registered tubes and parts kits as one lot. Jerry Prasser at Recon Ordnance and Frank Powell of FCP Tactical supply purchased this lot together and have had Andrewski build the guns. I'm sure they sold a few tubes to other dealers and individuals along the way, but these two guys have the bulk of the registred DLO tubes that JLM sold last year.

I'm betting that DLO still has some registered tubes and they're waiting for the demand to drive up the prices. I'm also betting that Vector will "find" a couple of dozen transferable UZIs when the market price is right.

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
Vegas SMG said:

I'm betting that DLO still has some registered tubes and they're waiting for the demand to drive up the prices. I'm also betting that Vector will "find" a couple of dozen transferable UZIs when the market price is right.

YEP!
Sterling Receivers - DLO mfg. in 1980 $4,250.00 delivered.
Doug is running an ad @ subguns.com

If you intend to get a Sterling... make sure that you don't get a STEnling that's been misrepresented as a DLO tube.
Several Title 2s have been involved in the creation of these similar but different weapons:
Jim Weaver
Don Quinnell
Doug Oefinger
P.A.W.S.
Stan Andrewski...

stymie

As for VECTOR...

I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph & Rex stashed a few away for a rainy day!
;)

Reed Knight dba KMC/ KAC is still sitting on several pallets of new, transferable SWD M11/9smgs!

...yep!

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
stymie said:
YEP!
Sterling Receivers - DLO mfg. in 1980 $4,250.00 delivered.
Doug is running an ad @ subguns.com

If you intend to get a Sterling... make sure that you don't get a STEnling that's been misrepresented as a DLO tube.
Several Title 2s have been involved in the creation of these similar but different weapons:
Jim Weaver
Don Quinnell
Doug Oefinger
P.A.W.S.
Stan Andrewski...

Hey Stymie,
What are the differences between the Sterling and the Stenling?? I looked into it a while back and didn't find much. Didn't look really hard!!!

Thx

stymie

You'll probably be noticing ads for STEn tubes...

OR
completed weapons on some of the Gun Boards.
The intent is to produce clones of the STERLING... as the supply of registered DLO tubes is rapidly dwindling.

STEnlings built on Wilson tubes can be found in various configurations... but are basically STEns that cosmetically resemble STERLINGS.
BATFE will only allow very subtle mods to the registered tube!
Some take STEn mags... others take STERLING or even UZI mags.
The disassembly procedures can vary as well.

The Andrewski MK4s are faithful copies of the original weapon & even surpass the OEM guns in QC!!!!!

:cool

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
Re: You'll probably be noticing ads for STEn tubes...

stymie said:
...BATFE will only allow very subtle mods to the registered tube!
I've heard this too. Not sure on the Tech Branch rationale since it is technically a RR gun. Then again, I heard a rumor that some C2 cut and rewelded a bunch of RR GI Uzi receivers to make RR minis. :D

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
Re: Re: You'll probably be noticing ads for STEn tubes...

MuzzleFlash said:
I've heard this too. Not sure on the Tech Branch rationale since it is technically a RR gun. Then again, I heard a rumor that some C2 cut and rewelded a bunch of RR GI Uzi receivers to make RR minis. :D

Have you got to look at the forms??? IIRC the forms do not call it a mini just an Uzi. I believe the OAL was different. I will have to check to be sure.

stymie

The GROUP IND/ VECTOR smgs...

...aren't even listed as UZIs!!!
;)

TWO different lengths are the only clues listed on the HR4332.

kyle

UZI Talk Life Member
Does anyone have any idea how many Sterling Tubes DLO registered? Less than 500? Less than 1000? Less than 5000?

Although I've only been active with NFA toys for about a year, it seems like I've only heard of these guns in the past 4 months or so.

Was the big breakthrough with Andrewski figuring out how to build 'em? How long have the parts kits been available?

I predict these guns will be $8-9k in 6 to 9 months.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
I'm curious myself and I'm in the process of trying to get a definative answer. I could be way off, but if I had to guess, I'd say 500 or less transferable Sterlings including the PAWS clones.

I'm also in the dark regarding the STEnlings as I've never seen one. I suppose you could install a Sterling stock and barrel shroud, maybe the pistol grip sans fire controls, but beyond that, I don't have a clue.

drw

UZI Talk Life Member
One of the nice things about working with mild steel is that it can be added to and subtracted from relatively easily! STENlings use a tube that was originally machined for use as a STEN, and converted to accept Sterling parts or appear to be a Sterling. To be converted to a Sterling, all of the holes along the length of the tube would have to be filled and recut to one extent or another!

The STEN cocking handle slot is to wide and wont retain the Sterling bolt handle, the STEN uses a trunion to retain the barrel at mid-length where the Sterling barrel is retained at the front. It would take twice as much work to convert a STEN to a Sterling but it could be done. I would expect that some conversions are being done that make it only appear to be a Sterling. This would be much easier, replacing the STEN endcap, adding the barrel shroud, stock and trigger assy. This conversion would not change the mag well and not allow the use of Sterling magazines.
As the value of Sterlings continue to rise I'm sure that someone will find it profitable to go to the added work required. The legality of the conversion is unknown to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter