Anybody here a fan of HK burst packs?

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
I think most people who like the look of plastic HK trigger housings
think the 0-1-3-F trigger groups look pretty cool.

However, experienced HK folks tend to dismiss burst packs
as useful only for inexperienced shooters. They also note that
burst pack complexity pretty much rules out working on them yourself.
Ask any experienced HK MG guy and prob 95% will suggest sticking with a
SEF or Ambi pack.

Personally, I've never been a fan of burst packs due to the difficulty
in working on them and the whole concept seemed kind'a silly
when you can just control your trigger finger....

However, recently I became a convert of running a
burst pack on the belt-fed HK21e. It just makes what is normally
a pretty violent FA recoil experience way way more predictable & controllable.

Anybody else like burst packs on the 21?

-- Matt

Last edited:

Glockdude1

UZI Talk Supporter
I like both of the trigger packs. As far as working on them, and all around use the SEF wins hands down. For left handed shooters the Ambi packs are easier to use.

Taking apart a burst pack, is like taking your watch off, taking it apart just clean it. The counting wheel to me was one of the hardest part to put back in.

I have not taken a HK trigger pack apart in several years. I have no plans to in the future. Just not fun anymore.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Disassembling & reassembling a SEF pack is pretty simple.
I think most people could successfully accomplish it.

The burst pack is A LOT more complex + requires a special burst pack tool.
Def not something to undertake in ~5min...
I've never attempted it, but there is a how-to series of videos up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVbs7RCvLek

A 30min two part reassembly video, lol...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQB9JrcjlKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_INK4VkeHys

Anyhow, if you aren't a fan of HK burst packs and have the opportunity to try one
a belt-fed HK, def give it a try. It might at least slightly change your opinion on them....

Me: Looks cool, kind'a-useless in practice, & PITA to repair) -----> Looks cool, useful on belt-feds, still a PITA to repair...

Last edited:

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
Burst packs are certainly a pain in the ass to disassemble and repair. But you do not have to strip and clean the trigger pack every time you shoot the gun. You can clean them by tossing the whole trigger pack in the ultrasonic or spraying it out with gun scrubber. Make sure it is dry and relubricated before putting back in the gun. You do not have to use the burst feature so it does not make the pack less useful. Where it comes in useful is when you are trying to shoot at longer ranges or smaller targets. To me it is much easier to concentrate on sight picture and trigger pull for an accurate shot when you are not trying to concentrate on bumping a two round burst manually. Shooting a G3 or G3K off hand it is hard to keep more than 3 shots on target anyway.

I have the Armorers manual and the proper burst back tools, but do not look forward to having to work on one. But I also like having the ability to use the burst setting when I want to. If I only had an MP5 or MP5SD as a host, I would say don't bother with a burst pack. If you are going to have rifle caliber hosts, it's worth the aggravation.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Here is my documented in-depth experience with an HK burst pack: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/475100-ah-joy-burst-pack-reassembly.html

I learned more about burst packs than I ever wanted to know.

LOL, classic!!! "Ah the joy of burst pack reassembly..."

Another classic "It only took me five (5) days to reassemble the pack...
This is a pure trial and error learning experience.
All I can say is that the designers of these burst pack were true sadists and children of the devil."

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
My sear came in a burst pack and I downgraded myself to a SEF. I liked it but it kept wearing out trip levers so something was wrong and I wasn’t competent or willing to try to do that on a burst pack each time to so I switched. SEF for life

ccosby

I personally prefer the burst pack as I've had a lot of shooters not familiar with full auto shoot my hk guns and that is nicer than just loading a mag to like 5 rounds.

Past that though its far more useful on the rifle caliber stuff. Shooting a g3k or 21k and the burst mode comes in nicely. If one had like that hk51 clone setup I'm thinking it would be really useful as well.

Another thing is that I like the little bushing that holds the hammer spring in as well. I prefer it as far as swapping hammer springs goes and if you shoot the range of host options you will be swapping the hammer springs semi often.

nuge

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, definitely for E guns and PDWs, otherwise SEF is just right.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter