AC556 Selector Arm Assembly Damage?

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
20180928_222724.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this AC556 Selector Arm Assembly looks correct? The part can be easily removed from the Selector Assembly by switching it to the 3-Round Burst position and sliding it off. It stays in place in Semi and Auto, but is slightly loose. Also, it looks different than other Assemblies I've seen (similar, but like this one may have 'sprung' apart). If it's damaged, how do I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20180928_222738.jpg

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
Hard to really tell if its damaged from your pictures but as to whether its an original part, looks like. Take a look at this:

Attachments

• Group_1a.jpg
    Group_1a.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 298

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the reply. Your picture is helpful too. I know it's an original part. However, mine is 'stuck' in the position just as you see it in the photo I posted. I can't close it like the one shown in your picture. I might be able to, but don't want to apply force and risk breaking it. Does the one in your photo move freely? Thanks again.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
put it in the gun and shoot it

if it works its good, if not its broken

that assembly is so complex i do not even breath on it when i dissemble!

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
I was able to slide the two 'paddle' parts of the Selector Arm Assembly together, so they overlapped, and fit onto the Selector Assembly. It's a very loose fit, but it's staying in place. Only put 120 rounds through it, but the gun runs great - 100%! The problem I was having before the 'repair,' was that the Selector Arm was sticking when moving it between three-round and FA. It must have been the Arm Assembly that was the issue. It wasn't seated, and was sliding off (not completely, but far enough), between those positions. I also noticed that the trigger pack parts in my AC are all a bit loose too. There's noticeable wear on the hammer strut and link positioner (shiny metal, worn finish), at least compared to the spare parts I have from my parts kit (glad I bought it). Looks like my AC was shot quite a bit before it transferred to me. Fortunately, those spares look to be in great shape, including the barrel. I may end up needing them sooner than later. Thanks for the help guys! So far, I like my 'shorty!' It's not very controllable, but it's fun!

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Make Sure you have it in semi for assembly and disassembly. That how the part you were having trouble with gets messed up...

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
I have been sure to do that; set to semi, hammer cocked, and safety engaged. I do believe that is what happened to the AC that just transferred to me. Previous owner assembled/disassembled without gun being set to semi and damaged that [art but not significantly. . So far it's running fine. Thanks again for helpful comments.

Gemlin

That part is damaged. Try squeezing it back so the slot matches the hole.

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the reply. Your picture is helpful too. I know it's an original part. However, mine is 'stuck' in the position just as you see it in the photo I posted. I can't close it like the one shown in your picture. I might be able to, but don't want to apply force and risk breaking it. Does the one in your photo move freely? Thanks again.

I can move mine like in your picture. Take a look at the attached assembly picture. It looks like to properly assemble the selector unit, you need to slide it over.

Attachments

• AC556_TM_pg22.jpg
    AC556_TM_pg22.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 227

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks again for all the help! It's nice to have a place to come for support with issues like I was having. As mentioned above, I was able to repair the existing one. There's also a spare with the parts kit I purchased. Hopefully I will not need it anytime soon.

lhebert@gvtc.com

Where is it you got the spare parts kit? I just got my AC 556F and it appears the selector arm assembly came off. i found the spring tension part but not the other part.... if i keep it in FA will it function without that selector arm assembly? Thanks Larry

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
Check David Spiwak's website often for AC556 parts kits. While there are not any listed at the moment, he does get them, but they do sell fast. There is one for sale on Gunbroker right now; it appears to be complete minus the stock. If you take a look at the pictures I posted, you can see that the selector arm assembly 'splits' into two pieces which resemble 'paddles.' They are hinged together. When the assembly came off my gun, I slid the 'hooked' part onto the selector assembly, and then gently added pressure until I was able to slide the 'paddle,' with the hole over top. they locked together and everything functioned just fine after that. I had a spare but did not need to use it. If your is selector arm assembly is broken, take it to a gunsmith and see if they can repair it. Hope this helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter