Zastava M85 mags in Norinco BWK92/84S?

Poacher

Does anyone know first hand if Zastava Z Mag M85 mags fit and function in Norinco BWK92 / 84S?

Thanks

Poacher

I did try a mag and it doesn't fit unfortunately.

It's too bad the Norinco pattern .223 pattern mags are so expensive.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Can you mod the AC unity mags or galil mags?

They are what I use in my Zastava85
The AC unity mags fit and run with zero issues.

I modify the Galil mags for it also before the ACU mags hit the market.

They are both cheap enough that ruining one in the name of cheap conversion mags is worth a shot.

Poacher

The AC Unity mags lock in perfect, but the front of the mag right under the bullet tip is too low, and most rounds just get rammed straight ahead instead of feeding into the chamber. Maybe 10 round out of 30 will feed properly.

The Norinco mags have a feed ramp on the front of the mag to prevent this.

The only other mags that fit and run are 30 round Promag #POLY1 (I know it's hard to believe!!!), and Circle 10's with a little filed off the underside of the rear lug. I haven't seen any of these in stock for quite a while.

I was very surprised the ACU's didn't run because I thought they're Circle 10 pattern?

I haven't tried a 74 mag but now I do remember of a mod that was supposed to work in the BKW-92/84S. I will look into this.

I will also scrounge up a Galil mag to check out.

Pufgun says their .223 mag will work with "minimal mods" but I can't find any in stock.

Thanks for the suggestions.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
With the ACU mags i didn't needd to mod they are plug & play on the zpap85.

Galil mags i needed to run a bead of weld under the front lock to raise the front to feed .
Otherwise i was getting the same as you nose dives not feeding and jamming the projectile back into the case.

I just welded them up and then milled them back on my mill till they fit and fed.
The mill also dressed them up to look good instead of a glob of weld.

Maybe try some JB weld on the ACU mags since welding would ruin the poly body and im not sure it's a metal that would take a weld anyways.

You may have to file some off the top of the mag lock on the back and put jb weld under the front lock to lift the front and lower the rear.
ETA:
You can't drop the rear to much or the bolt won't catch the round and just ride over it.

Last edited:

Poacher

I was thinking about JB weld and the ACU mags today. Too much goin on this weekend but ill get to it next.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve got a dang near NIB Norinco 84s. I’m currently looking for other mag options and this thread has some good information.

F7-CB8845-2066-427-A-BC81-FA7-E4-F07-F9-D2.jpg

A1-F1-F9-F7-BF39-49-ED-BA33-61-E213-FDE503.jpg

Poacher

I haven't had a chance to modify the ACU M85 mags yet.

I did try a FB Radom Beryl mag. It locked in fine and
fired 15 rounds without a malf.

Also, I mentioned in the second post that the Zastava Z Mag wouldn't fit. There are 3 vertical raised ribs on both sides of the mag, where it fits into the mag well. After 2 minutes with a mill file on each side it also locks in great and also ran 15 rounds no problem.

I only had 30 rounds in the car (thought range bag was in trunk) so I split em between both mags.

Also, I tried another Zastava M85 mag someone had and it fit fine unmodified. This one didn't have the 3 raised ribs on each side. I didn't have ammo to try it but the dimensions looked identical.

My Z mags are marked USA, and the other was unmarked. Maybe different generations?

And lastly, a Magpul 74 mag locked in fine empty but would not with rounds loaded. I didn't expect to get anywhere with this one.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I'll see if i can dig out some modded galil mags and a un modded one and get pix tomorrow.

Should help to see how easy it is to get angles right to feed.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I'll see if i can dig out some modded galil mags and a un modded one and get pix tomorrow.

I’d appreciate that.

I’ve been considering buying some RB random 5.56 mags but they’re expensive.
I wish the cheap ACu mags would work. I might just buy one and see what I can do.

Poacher

That would be great.

KickStand, I still need to mod the ACU mag. Your rifle may run ok with them as is.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Modified Galil mag .297

Unmodified Galil mag .257

Factory Zpap85 mag .373

Note where the bullet sits in reference to angle on the the flash off the tip of the bullet and flash off the tip of the steel triangle.

Factory Mag notice about the same in relation to the modified mag.

Unmodified Galil mag note how it sits so much lower the the 1st two pix.

So it appears anything around.297 to .373 seems to work.

I couldn't find any finished mags I think I sold then all to a guy with a Valmit 76 crutch stock gun.
We tried them in his gun and they worked just as good as they did n my Zastava85

I did modify 3 50 rounders for him also but I have yet to modofy my 2 50 rounders.
I also need to get back to finishing these.
I have about 12 that need milled, blasted, & parked. All I did was weld them up.
The one in the pic was done today just by eyeball on the mill and is not finished.
Function wise it is but it still needs refinished now that it works.

Again these are not hard to mod I did one today in less then 10 minutes on the mill with just looking at it. No DRO on and didn't break out the calipers until it was picture time.

Reference pix.
If you think you need any of these pix save them the img host has a good record of pix going POOF!

This bottom pix has a good straight shelf across the bottom on the 1st modified Galil mag. It just doesn't look like it due to not milling down enough to make all the metal blend.
Normally I would do that I just wanted to get these up so you guys can get something worked out for shooting.

I didn't bother taking any pix of the ACU mags since they work in my gun and if you need to JB weld or use that 2 part LOC TITE putty the above pix should get you there or give you the start to make changes.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter