What to look for in a Vector Arms SMG replacement barrel?

K2

Hi AlaskaUZI,

You are correct that surplus SMG barrels will fit and most likely work "out of the box" so to speak. Many of the aftermarket barrels may need work due to undersized chambers (for SMG's anyway) or less than optimal chamber mouths. For right now I've found the supply of aftermarket barrels to be hit-or-miss for reliability for the SMG's.

If we get lucky a reputable group like Barrel X Change will make a run of F/S barrels.

Unfortunately as you mentioned Green Mountain barrels have had some issue.

Don't forget to put it on paper with your current barrel at 25 yards. If you can hit what you aim at and the bullet goes through the paper nose first, load and repeat :).

Enjoy,

K2

Samuel_Hoggson

Don't forget to put it on paper with your current barrel at 25 yards. If you can hit what you aim at and the bullet goes through the paper nose first, load and repeat :).

Agree. May not have a problem at all. My surplus barrel bores all look like crap, but they all keep bullets pointy end forward.

Afraid to look at them with the Teslong........well, maybe I'll do that sometime this winter and post pics. Anyway, every one is a perfect drop-in on both FS Vectors.

If someone does a run would be nice if the chambers matched SMG barrel/feed ramp specs.

Dirk Hawthorne

The lack of rifling at the muzzle is a bad thing. A barrel can be a real worn out POS and still shoot good if the muzzle is good.

Usually when the muzzle rifling is bad, the barrel shoots badly.

Your Vector came originally with a South African barrel that was serial numbered to the gun. Looks like someone swapped it out with a SARCO "excellent - like new - unissued - perfection itself" IMI surplus barrel.

I have a BWE barrel in mine and it works great. I also have a US Barrel Shrouds "eats anything / giant funnel chamber" barrel that works well, but I rarely use it because my Vector works great.

VECTORS MIGHT HAVE VERY SLIGHT DIMENSIONAL WONKYNESS, but as a owner, you will not notice it. It will take any UZI barrel made. Let's put it this way - probably the only reason that people say that Vectors are out of spec is because other people keep saying it.

The only problem I ever had with my Vector was the trunnion welds popped and had to be re-done. Aside from that, it runs perfectly. That's not "pride of ownership" talking, either. I HATE GUNS THAT JAM, and if my Vector had ANY problems, I would just get rid of it.

I shoot a match once a month, about 350 rounds, I rarely have a jam. If I do, it's usually a stovepipe FTE when the gun is dirty.

I did find that it will not run well on aluminum cased ammo and that it needs brisk recoil to work good - no softball reloads and no Remington UMC ammo. I think this is true of most 9mm SMGs. Also, lube with synthetic motor oil, not too much, and don't use grease. And make sure the extractor hole is clean and the extractor has lots of springyness left in it.

I would say that the only problems I every had with my Vector can be attributed to operator error - using bad ammo and the wrong lube.

litfire145

Hi AlaskaUZI,

You are correct that surplus SMG barrels will fit and most likely work "out of the box" so to speak. Many of the aftermarket barrels may need work due to undersized chambers (for SMG's anyway) or less than optimal chamber mouths. For right now I've found the supply of aftermarket barrels to be hit-or-miss for reliability for the SMG's.

If we get lucky a reputable group like Barrel X Change will make a run of F/S barrels.

Unfortunately as you mentioned Green Mountain barrels have had some issue.

Enjoy,

K2
He is currently finishing the last group order of barrels. Maybe if one was inclined they could message @barrelxchange to see if anyone ends up not paying in full to get a barrel.

Otherwise OP, just get a surplus FA spec uzi barrel or try a Pike Arms barrel.

redweirdbeard

My full auto Vector Arms/Group Industries UZI arrived from David Spiwak today, and the barrel is pretty worn on it. I was only able to glance at it before work started but it looked like there was no rifling left at the muzzle and the outside finish was very worn.

I wasn’t expecting perfection since this is at least a 36 year old machine gun, even if it was built later by Vector Arms in the 90’s/ early 00’s, but damn. I only noticed a “U” mark on the BBL but didn’t get time to do a full look-over. The barrel also doesn’t match the finish on the rest of the gun for whatever that’s worth. It’s more worn.

What’s the word on replacing barrels for these guns since they’re supposedly out of spec? A green mountain US made barrel? Try finding a surplus Israeli one or what?

I’ll be test firing it tomorrow since I won’t be under a time crunch. Got 100rds ready to go in four 25rd mags, going to slap a wood stock on it too.

View attachment 39045
I have bought 3 different barrels from Pike Arms for my Vector. The 10.2 full size (item number #07174) has worked 100 percent for me. I installed it and shot over 400 rounds with no issues. I ran 124 ball Magtech. I then tried the FBI barrel (item number #09175) that is 8" and sadly it didn't work out at all. I would get one shot and then failure to feed every time. I never got more than two rounds to go and then another FTF. Same ammo and same magazines. So I mailed it back to them so they can look at it. Then I installed their FBI 8-5/8 threaded barrel (item number #09173). Because I wanted to install a three lug mount. It also ran 100 percent. I shot about 200 rounds through it with zero issues suppressed and unsuppressed. Since you can shoot yours you can try their barrels and if it doesn't work you can return it within 30 days from the invoice. So I would buy one and install it as soon as you get it and let it rip. They sell barrels for both semi and full auto so make sure you're looking at the right ones. Good Luck!!!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter