What Is My M16A2, and separately M2 Carbine Approximate Worth??

rck12

Colt Industries M16A2 Carbine, Model 723, Ser 8003XXX, Excellent condition.

Iver Johnson M2 .30 Carbine, purchased new in 1982 with sales receipt, and it has never been fired, except at IJ back in the day.

Thank You
RCK

Last edited:

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Dealers will def pay you less than private sale.

M16a2 - difficult to say, they are pricing all over the place
I’d guess 35+, but would not be surprised if you
got over 40k listed on GB (if you have feedback)

M2 - 13k (sounds like a nice gun)

Knock at least 20% off price for sale to a big dealer

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
Being "unfired" may actually hurt the value if the IJ M-2 Carbine......
Many of them had serious issues from new ...... most requiring full rebuilds with USGI parts...
Buying a nib one is a crap shoot ....kind of like an unfired West Hurley Thompson.....

That being said, the 10k mentioned above seems a reasonable valuation

rck12

Thanks mattnh,

Appreciate your opinions.

The A2 is a beautiful example, purchased 2 yrs ago (pre COVID/Biden :) from Ruben...forgot to mention, it fires full auto in burst position.

The M2 is a nice gun, well put.

rck12

I would think IJ would have test fired in auto, they made over 1,300. Anyway, had it apart several times, especially bolt and trigger group, all look kosher including bore. If you have specific information regarding 'serious issues', please pass along.

Thanks

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Iver Johnson M2’s would be towards the bottom of the barrel compared to other M2’s, price wise.

I would guess 9k(ish).

JMO

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
I would think IJ would have test fired in auto, they made over 1,300. Anyway, had it apart several times, especially bolt and trigger group, all look kosher including bore. If you have specific information regarding 'serious issues', please pass along.

Thanks

On mine, the most glaring problem was poorly machined "channels" on the sides of the barrel....the ones the tabs on the front of the slide ride in....
It caused excessive play in the slide....which caused the rear lug to jump out of the track in the receiver when firing, as well as allow up/down movement on the front of the slide which messed up the timing...as the trip lever wasn't consistently being fully depressed.
The fix was a new barrel, a new bolt, slide, and disconnector/trip lever. I eventually ended up replacing the hammer and disconnector block as well....they appeared to be cast, and were showing lots of excessive wear...

The guy that rebarreled/headspaced it for me had done similar work to a few IJ's .....this was in 1987-88

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
That IJ info would def steer me towards a transferable conversion kit…

I think you guys are dead-on with the <10K estimates...
This was just posted on STURM

Carbine 30 cal Broadhead Armory registered selector conversion of M1 carbine $ 10 K

Last edited:

rck12

Thanks Villafuego, that is definitely specific...and informative!

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage now, as I'm up north attending to wife's health. I will inspect my M2 thoroughly when I return to FL, per your above findings. I live in Palm Beach Gardens, and do get over to the West Coast a few times a year.

I am curious if there is any correlation regarding serial numbers/series and the defects you experienced. Mine is CA00688, the lowest I've seen anywhere. What is yours, or you can PM me if more comfortable. Date of my purchase was 04 04 1980 (not the 1982 I mentioned above), for $342 from Connecticut Gun Exchange, Monroe, CT...the cardboard box is long gone, but I do have the sales receipt, advertising brochure with pictures, and part listing that came with it.

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks Villafuego, that is definitely specific...and informative!

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage now, as I'm up north attending to wife's health. I will inspect my M2 thoroughly when I return to FL, per your above findings. I live in Palm Beach Gardens, and do get over to the West Coast a few times a year.

I am curious if there is any correlation regarding serial numbers/series and the defects you experienced. Mine is CA00688, the lowest I've seen anywhere. What is yours, or you can PM me if more comfortable. Date of my purchase was 04 04 1980 (not the 1982 I mentioned above), for $342 from Connecticut Gun Exchange, Monroe, CT...the cardboard box is long gone, but I do have the sales receipt, advertising brochure with pictures, and part listing that came with it.

No problem.....If I've still got the old F4 for the gun, I'll let you know the SN of mine.....I sold it in the mid-90's....

I wouldn't sweat it too much..... even if one has issues, they can be fixed.....

rck12

Thanks, much appreciated. BTW, just saw this morning an IJ M2 nib and test fired, at Midwest Tactical (Missouri) for $11,995.00...nice looking gun also. Ser #1304

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter