Uzi brass catcher

sharps_74

Uzi brass catcher (rebirth of the Herr Pear catcher!)

I can't seem to find a brass catcher for an Uzi that I like. I looked at the catcher made by Herr-Pear that is in the Library. I'd like to come up with something like that for my carbine. Anybody have any diagrams for brass catchers? Thanks folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

prebans

FFL/SOT, Distinction Arms, UZI Talk Life Member,
Herr Pear was going to send me the drawings (still have the PM in my box from him loooong ago) to put these brass catchers back into production. Unfortunately, his health took a turn for the worse and he passed before he could send me the drawings.

It's my understanding that his family wasn't really into firearms. I assume that they tossed the drawings not long after he died.

Mike

sharps_74

Mike, I'm sorry to hear that he passed on. Do you think it would be ok for me to work out a brass catcher based on his design? I think it would be fairly easy.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
sharps_74 said:
Do you think it would be ok for me to work out a brass catcher based on his design? I think it would be fairly easy.

Unless he had a patent on it (and I'm pretty sure he did not), anyone would be free to copy the design. It was very straight forward and would be very easy to reverse engineer.

prebans

sharps_74 said:
Mike, I'm sorry to hear that he passed on. Do you think it would be ok for me to work out a brass catcher based on his design? I think it would be fairly easy.

I do know (Herr Pear told me) that he never got a patent. My replication project was going to happen 3-4 years ago when I had a helluva lot more time on my hands. Now I don't have that time.

So please put them back into production! Hell, I'll probably be interested in one! :D

Mike

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
There are some pictures of Herr-Pear's brass catcher here:
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5000

and I could supply detailed photos/dimensions if anyone wanted to put them into production.

Herr-Pear was working on a modification to the mounting bracket so it would not interfere with top cover optics. Either Sofltodd or amphibian would be able to supply pictures of that version.

toybuilder

UZI Talk Life Member
catcher

I've got nothing better to do....... may as well give it a try. I've got access to a metal shop, cnc equip, and the plastics shop is only half a block away.

sofltodd

Banned
Herr-Pear gave his blessing for someone to pick up the project after he did his last run of them. You can read his own words at the link below.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11955&highlight=herr-pear

With that being said... in late 2004 Herr-Pear made a modification to the design which allowed for the catcher to be used with a doctor optic mount which the older design did not allow. It also allowed for the brass catcher to be moved while still attached for a range officer to inspect the chamber (for subgun competition). I know at least two of those models exists.

There were quite a few pictures of that design in a few different posts on Uzitalk but all of the images from 2004 for those threads were deleted by RoverDave a while ago. Perhaps he can undelete them for you.

toybuilder

UZI Talk Life Member
catcher

I'll start making a rough model this weekend and post pics, see what everyone thinks. If there's money to be make some should go to a Herr Pear UT fund or something.

sharps_74

I'm already working on a prototype from his design. I'm working it out in copper as I have a bunch of the stuff and it works almost like silver (I use to be a jeweler). I think if we all work togeter we can come up with something.

Also, if we can have a few members that have some of his inventions chime in with picture and information, that might be helpful.

prebans

This is important enough to cross-post. Will sticky this in this forum and will link from the General and Uzi-specific forums. Maybe one of the two owners of his modified catchers will be able to supply information!

Mike

Last edited:

sharps_74

Thanks Mike.

If anybody does have a set of plans, please forward a copy to me.

Toybuilder, that's a great idea. I was thinking of using some of it to support the Uzi talk forum. Seems right some how. Man, I wish I'd of been on here early enough to meet Herr-Pear. He sounds like a great fella.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
sofltodd said:
With that being said... in late 2004 Herr-Pear made a modification to the design which allowed for the catcher to be used with a doctor optic mount which the older design did not allow. It also allowed for the brass catcher to be moved while still attached for a range officer to inspect the chamber (for subgun competition). I know at least two of those models exists.

There were quite a few pictures of that design in a few different posts on Uzitalk but all of the images from 2004 for those threads were deleted by RoverDave a while ago. Perhaps he can undelete them for you.

I don't think any pictures were posted of the new style. (At least I don't see any threads that talk about the pictures being posted.) Regardless, you could always dust off the camera and snap a couple of photos if you wanted to contribute to the project.

Billy F

Catcher

Go to Home Depot and get a plastic gutter elbow. You are 90% done.

prebans

Billy F said:
Go to Home Depot and get a plastic gutter elbow. You are 90% done.

Not the same, and will look like the textbook definition of a "bubba job."

Mike

sofltodd

Banned
RoverDave said:
I don't think any pictures were posted of the new style. (At least I don't see any threads that talk about the pictures being posted.) Regardless, you could always dust off the camera and snap a couple of photos if you wanted to contribute to the project.

Hmm I'm pretty sure there was a whole thread or two which had pics from me , amphibian and discussion from herr-pear on the new style. If not I'll take some photos of mine this weekend and post them with the hopes that they don't go missing in a couple years :m16s

prebans

sofltodd said:
Hmm I'm pretty sure there was a whole thread or two which had pics from me , amphibian and discussion from herr-pear on the new style. If not I'll take some photos of mine this weekend and post them with the hopes that they don't go missing in a couple years :m16s

It takes half a decade before the database suffers and pics have to be removed.

Mike

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
sofltodd said:
Hmm I'm pretty sure there was a whole thread or two which had pics from me , amphibian and discussion from herr-pear on the new style.

Please post a link so we can take a look at it.

sofltodd

Banned
I searched and didn't find it under herr-pear or brass catcher. It was late 2004 or early 2005. I ran into it on accident a while ago. Is there any way to search by date range instead of just posts older than a year. I'll see if I can find it later tonight.

in the meantime here is a photo I just took of mine. Notice no top bar as with the other design. - Todd

attachment.php

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter