Sterling Ads - 1983

L34A1

dezenter said:
Have posted pics L34A1. What I don't understand is it doesn't have a wooden grip underneath the tube. Judging by the absence of any scar, or slight dent on the finish which may have been caused by a tightened metal ring attachment, I'd say it was never attached with one. Could it be possible the manufacturer simply forgot to install one, or was it considered an after market grip long ago. That would be a big problem for me because I doubt I can find one here. Just wondering if wrapping a small area with cloth or kevlar fabric will do?

Nice pics, thanks. The wood grips were accessories. I took mine off because the wood grip places my hand too far forward for an unnatural hold. I use Camo Form™ Self-Cling Camouflage Wrap in black. It does the trick for hold and heat.

dezenter

Thanks for the info L34A1. I'm not sure if that is something I can find in our hardwares or gun stores here. Will request a friend of mine who's gonna be there this August to get me one.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Allow me to extend my welcome! The crackle finish is common on the export guns and one would think the wooden fore-grip would also be seen on this particular example. Who knows? Every time you think you know all there is about these wonderful weapons, someone comes along and enlightens us. I appreciate you joining and posting the photos of your MK5.

What type of magazine are you using? Canadian C1s? Does you gun have the sling attachment on the left side of the suppressor tube?

You can see the grip L34A1 was referring to in this thread.
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18476

I haven't made the transition yet, but I have a nice lace up suppressor holder for a M11/9 that I intend to try when I grow tired of the wooden stock on the MK5.

dezenter

Thanks for your welcome VEGAS SMG. It does have a sling attachment on the left side of the suppressor. I'm not sure of the origin of the magazine though due to the absence of any manufacturer's markings. But it's shorter than my other mag which is definitely an original 34 rounder sterling mag being complete with sterling markings. Thanks for the info on it's finish. I'm considering getting a unit from an acquaintance! Found out just today he has a military issued sterling in his collection. Unsure about it's exact model though, I still have to check it out when he decides to sell it to me. You guys won't believe the price! $700! I guess people's lack of info here about the sterling is really a good thing after all.

Hyperion

dezenter said:
Found out just today he has a military issued sterling in his collection. Unsure about it's exact model though, I still have to check it out when he decides to sell it to me. You guys won't believe the price! $700! I guess people's lack of info here about the sterling is really a good thing after all.

Took me a full two minutes to stop choking and coughing after I read that. $700!

dezenter

Hyperion said:
Took me a full two minutes to stop choking and coughing after I read that. $700!
The figure is right HYPERION. It's $700. The more I read about the sterling the more I'm impressed with it. I found out my friend still has a sterling yesterday morning. And knowing the guy being a stickler for detail, I'll bet my bottom peso it's in good condition. And definitely a military issue since there's no such thing as a semi-auto only smgs here. The only civilian authorities I know of that was ever issued sterlings were the police patrol cars of some 35 years ago when Makati City was still an infant city. The most expensive sterling unsuppressed I've heard sold for about $2000, and a lot of guys thought it was ridiculously priced. Good Thing a lot of guys still think that way about the sterling here, hopefully that'll mean good bargains waiting for me out there.

Last edited:

BDMerc1

RoverDave said:
And the MK-7:

I still don't see how they got away with the MK6 ad. I never got in a MK6 with a "display barrel" that made it look like a MK4 SMG.

NIB

I have one NIB with the front display cap and nylon barrel.

NIB

The end cap bolts on with an alen bolt. I think? I have to look. And the nylon barrel slips inside and is glued to the cap. The end cap is metal.

Junkcollector

Dummy Barrel

This is a copy of a letter I received from the factory after writing to them about missing parts in a carbine package I purchased. It explains why the dummy barrel is hard to find.

Sorry I guess 97.7 KB PDF means total of all PDF Files, will edit it & get back

Attachments

• Sterling&Cap.jpg
    Sterling&Cap.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 531
  • Falkland-Cap.jpg
    Falkland-Cap.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 936
Last edited:

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
Very nice letter. Dave Howroyd is still around and he and I communicate now and then. He just celebrated his 89th in May. Very cool indeed.

Junkcollector

Sterling Letters

These letters show what a great company Sterling was to their customers. When they had troubles with importers in U.S.A. they offered to import straight to my local gun shops. It's a shame that a great company like that is no longer in business.

( PS it only took me 5 tries to get this post updated, not bad for a 72 year old fart.)

Attachments

• Letter-1.jpg
    Letter-1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 532
  • Letter-2.jpg
    Letter-2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Letter-2a.jpg
    Letter-2a.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 528

Bunkerman

Fascinating posts here!
I have an L34A1. Unfortunately it is deactivated!

clossinpdx

MK 5 ad

Stumbled on this little gem for the collection on eBay recently.

Attachments

• rsz_books_-_mk5_advertisement_flyer.jpg
    rsz_books_-_mk5_advertisement_flyer.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 300
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter