Spare parts to keep on hand? And good sources for them?

litfire145

As the title states. Anything special I should know about spare Uzi parts? Spare barrel nut, nut retainer, weird parts like that necessary due to wear/use?
I see the warnings about aftermarket extractors being too long. I have an SBR'd UC9 with an IWI Model A bolt so luckily UC9 specific bolt parts don't apply to me.

I have too much wrapped up in it to ever part with it and even in the last few years I have noticed the source of parts for lots of interesting firearms coming to a trickle. I'd hate to see the day where this stuff is prohibitively expensive and I got caught empty handed without needed parts. :unsure:

Samuel_Hoggson

Years ago parts kits included barrels, but seems now they don't. I'd get a parts kit, try to find a spare barrel.

Some stuff, like stock assembly, barrel nut, and sights, are not likely to need replacing. Lower receiver parts, especially springs, are more likely to be needed. Same for topcover bits, extractor (which is a spring), and action spring assembly.

Don't forget mags and ammo. Those are just as likely to become expensive.

Last edited:

sweersa

I agree with having one or more surplus parts kits, barrels, mags, and ammo. ALL will retain their value, if not increase in value over the years of having them, so you can't go wrong.

This applies to most firearms of the like, even rifles. (I do this with most of my AKs, ARs, and G36 type weapons, especially the latter as they are imported and the US parts are questionable) ALL are worth more than what I paid for them when I bought them.

Another thing to keep in mind are which parts are small, and more prone to be lost during cleaning/inspection. While I do not know if this applies to UZIs, it certainly does to G36s (non captive push pins, small BCG parts, etc.) and ARs (to a lesser extent) with the firing pin retaining pin, etc.

Jones

I'd go with the essentials; Extractor and extractor pin. Sear, sear pin and sear spring. Trigger, trigger pin and trigger spring. Recoil and striker springs. Grip safety spring. Spare mag or at least the internals for one.
Some of these parts don't often break but they do have a knack of getting lost while out in the field.
For anyone working on any Uzi grip assy, a tool like this is invaluable. Just a small standard screwdriver with the tip split. It will save you many punctured finger tips and crates of band-aids.

thumbnail_IMG_1508.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1511.jpg

As far as parts sources; anywhere you can find them. While checking out the usual sources, check out their Close-out and One-of-a kind sections. You can find some nice sleepers there.
By studying the parts of an Uzi; you'll know what you're seeing when at gun shows-- pawing through parts bins. You'll also be able to spot those parts that aren't Uzi and won't end up with a grease gun extractor, fer instance. (RoverDave's Uzi book is invaluable for parts identification). You can also learn why Model B Carbine parts don't always fit in Model A Carbines.

Once you've found the parts you need, take them home and try them in your Uzi. Better to know on the bench what fits than out in the field.
It'll also familiarize you with the handy to know details like disassembly and reassembly order and little things like clocking sear and trigger pins so the grip safety bar clears them. (Those "screwdriver slots" in the ends are there for a reason)
If you're building a range kit, other handy items to consider are a small drop cloth, tweezers, a squeeze bottle of gun oil, cleaning kit.

litfire145

I'd go with the essentials; Extractor and extractor pin. Sear, sear pin and sear spring. Trigger, trigger pin and trigger spring. Recoil and striker springs. Grip safety spring. Spare mag or at least the internals for one.
Some of these parts don't often break but they do have a knack of getting lost while out in the field.
For anyone working on any Uzi grip assy, a tool like this is invaluable. Just a small standard screwdriver with the tip split. It will save you many punctured finger tips and crates of band-aids.

View attachment 38244 View attachment 38245

As far as parts sources; anywhere you can find them. While checking out the usual sources, check out their Close-out and One-of-a kind sections. You can find some nice sleepers there.
By studying the parts of an Uzi; you'll know what you're seeing when at gun shows-- pawing through parts bins. You'll also be able to spot those parts that aren't Uzi and won't end up with a grease gun extractor, fer instance. (RoverDave's Uzi book is invaluable for parts identification). You can also learn why Model B Carbine parts don't always fit in Model A Carbines.

Once you've found the parts you need, take them home and try them in your Uzi. Better to know on the bench what fits than out in the field.
It'll also familiarize you with the handy to know details like disassembly and reassembly order and little things like clocking sear and trigger pins so the grip safety bar clears them. (Those "screwdriver slots" in the ends are there for a reason)
If you're building a range kit, other handy items to consider are a small drop cloth, tweezers, a squeeze bottle of gun oil, cleaning kit.

All of this is good info. I think for all intents and purposes my Uzi is configured in the most common way. The Century specific parts are gone and replaced with Model A parts.

I have:

-a spare DES full auto grip frame, complete.
- spare recoil spring
- spare striker spring
-possibly a salvageable extractor from my UC9 bolt
-spare forend
-a spare barrel

I figure I'd buy a barrel nut and retainer, a known good extractor and firing pin, and maybe a striker or firing pin carrier not sure on the terminology. I also assume if I wear out a sear or a trigger group spring I can mill down the full auto sear. The Uzi system seems robust and I imagine mine being a semi auto only really keeps any wear to a minimum.

Slowmo

How much does a spare barrel go for these days? Tia!
Apex had a batch a few months ago of surplus fullsize barrels. I want to say there were around $175. You can find new production barrels around $150 from a few sources.

ETA: I was looking around a few days ago and can't find any surplus barrels from any of the big sources I'm aware of. Just got to keep an eye out for stuff.

delta-10

Keep your eyes on Gunbroker as well. I scored a beautiful Belgian barrel for $175.00. They described it as used but that thing looks gorgeous. Fantastic bore. I paid over $300 for one that was listed as brand new and the one I just got looks better.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter