Shrike

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
hawkin said:
Civilian sales will not even compare to what a GOV'T CONTRACT will bring!

The govt. already has a contract for all the 5.56 SAWs it needs.

5 years and still waiting.

tony k

FFL/C&R
hawkin said:
.... the Socom M11/9 upper is at the magical 4K mark also....

Ernie at SOCOM was selling the M11/9 beltfed RPD upper for $5,995, and at that price had more deposits than he had parts kits for (until BATF shut him down). He even presold all four M249 SAW uppers he was building, at $15k a pop.

I do not believe you can apply normal, sane consumer behavior to the purchase of NFA items and accessories. As a group, we are experienced at and comfortable with spending $$$ far beyond any intrinsic value, and fighting others for a spot in line to do so.

YMMV.

tony k

FFL/C&R
Renegade said:
The govt. already has a contract for all the 5.56 SAWs it needs.

-- A bare SAW (no ammo or extra barrels) weighs 14 pounds; an M16 with a Shrike upper weighs 8 pounds. That six-pound difference will allow the operator to either (A) move faster and farther, or (B) carry more than double the ammo load of a SAW system. I suspect even military minds would see the advantage.

-- A SAW shares no parts with the issue M16, except for an iffy chance it might run with GI 30-rounders. When it gets knocked out, it means a trip back to the armorer. A Shrike M16, OTOH, shares the '16's fire-control system, making it much easier to fix in the field and resume shooting, even under fire. Ditto re: miitary advantages.

Personally, I have no stake in whether ARES gets a .gov contract, except how it might affect the chances of getting my own Shrike delivered. But I do believe strongly in getting our military the best equipment to do the job -- and IMHO, that includes trading SAWs for Shrikes.

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
tony k said:

Personally, I have no stake in whether ARES gets a .gov contract, except how it might affect the chances of getting my own Shrike delivered. But I do believe strongly in getting our military the best equipment to do the job -- and IMHO, that includes trading SAWs for Shrikes.

No soldier in the world is going to give up a dependable M249 for an unproven Shrike. Shrike would need *years* of testing to be proven battle worthy, given its past problems. Of course, we still cannot start that testing, because the Shrike is now 5 years late. No-one foresaw 911, but they sure missed an opportunity by being so late to market.

The military has already decided where it is going - towards the OICW & XM8, and I am sure there will be an XM8 compatible SAW. They may even move off of 5.56 towards 6.8. The M16 and the 5.56 are not the long term future for the military.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter