S&W 76 exploded view

cookie

Founder
Posted with permission from mysw76.com.

exploded_view76.jpg

BlammoCan

I've seen this before. It's from the original Smith & Wesson owner's manual. They will send you a copy (which consists of a few photo-copied pages) if you call them.The number is 1-800-331-0852.

skurvy

Can someone provide a link for how to strip and then reassemble a 76?
Maybe a scan of the original manual?

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
The process is easy. Just pay attention to what you are doing........

With the bolt closed (all the way forward), hold your thumb on the end cap with strong force. Push the big retainer pin up from the bottom and all the way out (KEEP pressure on the end cap because now only your thumb is holding the spring force). Now slowly ease your thumb's pressure on the end cap. The cap will pop off exposing the recoil spring. Remove the end cap and recoil spring. Now be careful tilting the gun too quickly as the bolt will now freely slide back. Hold the bolt handle and slide the bolt all the way to the rear. In the rear position you can put out the bolt handle. Now slowly tilt the muzzle up and the bolt will slide out. This completes field stripping the S&W 76. Assembly is just reversing this process (with making sure the recoil spring goes all the way into the hole in the bolt before installing the end cap and pin).

For more info...... please post a picture of your S&W 76.

skurvy

SubGunFan said:
The process is easy. Just pay attention to what you are doing........

With the bolt closed (all the way forward), hold your thumb on the end cap with strong force. Push the big retainer pin up from the bottom and all the way out (KEEP pressure on the end cap because now only your thumb is holding the spring force). Now slowly ease your thumb's pressure on the end cap. The cap will pop off exposing the recoil spring. Remove the end cap and recoil spring. Now be careful tilting the gun too quickly as the bolt will now freely slide back. Hold the bolt handle and slide the bolt all the way to the rear. In the rear position you can put out the bolt handle. Now slowly tilt the muzzle up and the bolt will slide out. This completes field stripping the S&W 76. Assembly is just reversing this process (with making sure the recoil spring goes all the way into the hole in the bolt before installing the end cap and pin).

For more info...... please post a picture of your S&W 76.

I assumed that was the way it was suppose to work but can't seem to get the pin out.
Should I try using a punch?
I can post pics if it will help. What do you need to see? My gun was made by Southern Machine if that helps any.

maggie

My Pin Was tough

I recently bought a SW 760. Probably should have read some of the posts here first. Sounds like they are more trouble than they are worth, but I have it home now.
I was able to pick up five Suomi mags at a gun show and proceeded to try them. None worked (failure to feed) and then I stumbled on this site. First - Thanks for all the help guys. I dremeled and hand filed the top button on the mags and they worked great. Fed fine.
Next problem was, it didn't go bang! very light (if at all) primer hits. I used the disassembly instructions listed here - and at first I couldn't get my pin out either, but found I wasn't pushing on the end cap enough. I think you have to take the spring pressure off so the pin will come out. Once I did it, the second time was a piece of cake.
Found the firing pin was bent slightly near the end. I got it straight and took off some of the burr that had formed, and so far only tried it with primered bras. At least the primers go off now. Going to the range tomorrow.

Any one know of a source for a new firing pin assembly? Maybe a new bolt as well? Might want to have some spare parts, just in case. Oh, and can someone pooint me to the folding stock rework instructions? I saw them once before, but now can't seem to locate them.
Thanks.

Firecop203

Any one know of a source for a new firing pin assembly? Maybe a new bolt as well? Might want to have some spare parts, just in case. Oh, and can someone pooint me to the folding stock rework instructions? I saw them once before, but now can't seem to locate them.
Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the firing pin is machined as part of the bolt. I had another 760 owner recommend this. I never tried it, but it sounds like it could work.

Get an AR-15 firing pin and thread it. Drill out the 760 bolt with a hole just large enough to fit the AR-15 pin. Thread the hole you just drilled. Cut the AR-15 pin and thread it to match the hole in the bolt. You now have a replaceable 760 firing pin.

az_gun_nut

UZI Talk Supporter
maggie said:
I recently bought a SW 760. Probably should have read some of the posts here first. Sounds like they are more trouble than they are worth, but I have it home now.
I was able to pick up five Suomi mags at a gun show and proceeded to try them. None worked (failure to feed) and then I stumbled on this site. First - Thanks for all the help guys. I dremeled and hand filed the top button on the mags and they worked great. Fed fine.
Next problem was, it didn't go bang! very light (if at all) primer hits. I used the disassembly instructions listed here - and at first I couldn't get my pin out either, but found I wasn't pushing on the end cap enough. I think you have to take the spring pressure off so the pin will come out. Once I did it, the second time was a piece of cake.
Found the firing pin was bent slightly near the end. I got it straight and took off some of the burr that had formed, and so far only tried it with primered bras. At least the primers go off now. Going to the range tomorrow.

Thanks.

firecop said:
If I remember correctly, the firing pin is machined as part of the bolt. I had another 760 owner recommend this. I never tried it, but it sounds like it could work.

Get an AR-15 firing pin and thread it. Drill out the 760 bolt with a hole just large enough to fit the AR-15 pin. Thread the hole you just drilled. Cut the AR-15 pin and thread it to match the hole in the bolt. You now have a replaceable 760 firing pin.

I know it's an old post but I thought I'd chime in. I believe "maggie" has a 'semi-auto' Special Weapons 760 which would have a floating firing pin since it's not a fullauto subgun.

r

skurvy,
if you have been hammering your gun with extremely hot ammo the bolt will contact the recoil spring guide which in turns beats the endcap, the pin will try to bend from the hammering, also if continued the excessive force will begin to egg the pin holes. if you're having trouble with the pin i would lightly tap it with a punch and small hammer. examine and roll the pin on a flat surface for straightness. i assume you are not trying to remove pin with bolt retracted. it could also just be a rough fit and need a little polishing. really doubt you've been using too hot ammo. do you use any type of buffer between the recoil spring and the guide?

fredboat

UZI Talk Supporter
I have both and my MK760 SMG has flutes inside the receiver tube and my Stemple 76/45 is is smooth inside and it runs just fine. The MK is a little better designed. But parts for the Stemple are easier to find. Sorry for the late post, I have been on the UZI site for years and just stared with the S&W 76 site.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter