Repro MAC mufflers

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
Why not update to modern baffles? Original internals do not make it more desirable under any circumstance I can think of?

I think I would use my own titanium baffles.

Suppressor_assembly.jpg

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
Why not update to modern baffles? Original internals do not make it more desirable under any circumstance I can think of?

I think I would use my own titanium baffles.

View attachment 37836

After shooting an original (with a completely shot-out wipe) next to one "recored" with modern M baffles, there is virtually no perceptible difference in sound. I'll go so far as to say the AWC rebuilds are louder than the originals ..... the only benefit is the wipeless endcap.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
I think that they must have seen how much originals are going for and decided to get in on the craze. My Bowers can is much better than my RPB made Sionics design but then it's 9mm vs 45.

I just thought that it was interesting that someone took the time and effort to make some.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Not for me, but it goes to show there's a market! I also love the 2 stage look, but would prefer a silicone sleeve that makes a regular single stage can look like a 2 stage. Anyone seen anything like that?

Garrett

I also love the 2 stage look, but would prefer a silicone sleeve that makes a regular single stage can look like a 2 stage. Anyone seen anything like that?
I’ve used a cut down Bowers Griptastic that sort of accomplishes this.

r5q98Ys.jpg

I also have a leather & nomex lace-up cover that gives a 2-stage profile. This is still my favorite can cover.

GdWWIml.jpg

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
I did not click the link but I’m guessing this is the left over hard times armory inventory. The guy selling these cans is a buddy of mine, he is good people and the suppressors are made from 100% original components from MAC, RPB and SWD. It’s more of a collectors piece than anything else but they are absolutely effective useful suppressors despite the old tech.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I’ve used a cut down Bowers Griptastic that sort of accomplishes this.

r5q98Ys.jpg

I also have a leather & nomex lace-up cover that gives a 2-stage profile. This is still my favorite can cover.

GdWWIml.jpg
Yea Garrett you get what I'm talking about. I wonder if Bowers would do a run of smooth, non ribbed ones of the dimensions you show in that picture. That's be sweet. I'll write them now and ask.

Garrett

Yea Garrett you get what I'm talking about. I wonder if Bowers would do a run of smooth, non ribbed ones of the dimensions you show in that picture. That's be sweet. I'll write them now and ask.
It’s worth asking. Seems like they have been out of the silencer cover line for a while now. Which doesn’t make sense, as the van covers always seemed like a popular product.

Maybe supplier issues (since before that became an excuse for everything)?

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
It’s worth asking. Seems like they have been out of the silencer cover line for a while now. Which doesn’t make sense, as the van covers always seemed like a popular product.

Maybe supplier issues (since before that became an excuse for everything)?
Price on the material went through the roof is my understanding

automaticlee

I agree on the AWC re-core not helping things. I had mine done to eliminate the wipe and was a little disappointed. No quieter than the with the worn out wipes. I wondered, if there were baffles in the rear section would it help and how much.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I wrote Bowers, they have no interest in the effort. I wonder if we can fine silicone sleeve material?

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I always wanted a MAC/SWD/RPB 380 can. The price was too high on their repro cans.

Kramer

After shooting an original (with a completely shot-out wipe) next to one "recored" with modern M baffles, there is virtually no perceptible difference in sound. I'll go so far as to say the AWC rebuilds are louder than the originals ..... the only benefit is the wipeless endcap.
I concur. I've shot my pair of MAC10 45s side by side and the 100% original core is quieter than the AWC recore with machined front end cap. Nothing wrong with the spiral diffuser setup.

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
I would like to see someone actually test them. Ear meters are just too unreliable.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I would like to see someone actually test them. Ear meters are just too unreliable.
What does it matter? If it sounds quieter to your ear that's all there is. If people think it's even close it's not worth doing.

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
And the reason people don't care is probably because they don't have a meter.

okpud

UZI Talk Supporter
And the reason people don't care is probably because they don't have a meter.
It's just as much about the pitch as the sound level (dB). Many dB meters don't read pitch. I'll trade a couple of dB for a few hundred Hz most any day of the week, provided both were hearing safe. If you're going to measure something, you should really measure it and not just report the sound level in dBs. Otherwise, it like reporting the temperature without humidity. 90 deg at 90% humidity feels a whole lot worse than 95 deg at 35% humidity in my experience.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter