Opportunity for some of you 3D printer peoples

Garrett

So I was just looking over Gunbroker at asking and completed prices for Reising mags. They have always been kind of spendy, just due to the relatively low numbers out there. Now they are going for anywhere from $100-$300 when people can find them.

So I pulled out an Uzi .45 magazine, just to see. The Uzi mag is noticeably thinner than the Reising mag, as well as being more narrow front-to-back. It looks like there may be enough room to fit a magwell adapter in there. It could latch in place using the standard Reising mag catch, and then have another catch in the standard Uzi location.

While Uzi .45 mags are also not inexpensive, I have found the Promag 22-round mags seem to work fairly well. Just holding it and cycling the bolt by hand it looks like it could work.

I'm not sure if an in-place adapter would be thick enough to withstand inserting/removing the Uzi mags into a long adapter. But what about making an adapter that stays attached to the mag? The Uzi mag would provide structural stability to the adapter at that point. I wonder if the plastic would hold up at the mag catch. Maybe a piece of sheet metal with a hole could be incorporated / molded into the plastic 3D print.

Promags can be had for around $30. Add maybe $20-25 for the mag adapter sleeve, and it could be something. If someone wants to run with it and see if they can get it to work.

WOFhNXFh.jpg

OT2GNtJh.jpg

QGf1TSzh.jpg

Uncle Billy

that looks like something you can do yourself, not by making a adapter to fit in the mag well but by modifying a UZI mag(PROMAG) to fit in the REISING mag well. by using plastic spacers and epoxying it around the the mag, so that it will fit in the mag well then notch it for the mag catch. you got a couple things going for you

1) the mag is the same caliber as the gun

2) you don't have to modify the mag from a double stack to a single stack mag

I have done that on a couple of different mags by making a drum feed tower for rifles that no drum even existed for them.

one was for a SAR 3 and SLR-106UR (5.56 AKs) to go onto 100 round BETA drum. I just cut the top portion off a plastic TAPCO GAILIL/GOLINI mag then mated it to the bottom half of a BETA 5.56 AR feed tower then reinforced it with alumium flat stock, by epoxying (J-B WELD) on the sides. I did that more then 5 years ago and it has held up through hundreds of firing.

xRnxQtD.jpg

414030380.jpg

VPCmWMZ.jpg

I also made a drum for my PPS 43, by using a PPS 43 mag and welding it onto a PPsH 41 drum. that one was a tiny bit challenging, as I had to use spacers in the mag to make it single stack feed

414014785.jpg

414014786.jpg

right now I made a 70 round drum for my MP5-K PDW using a SUOMI 9mm drum, it feeds great by hand cycling the rounds, just have to take it to the range tomorrow and shoot it. I'm 99 percent confident that it will function perfectly. I'll make a thread about what the result was in the HK TALK forum

I learned a long, long time ago that if you wait for someone else to make it for you, "you can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first".

that looks like something simple and very doable(modifying the mag) you can do. as the saying goes, "nothing ventured nothing gained", beats paying a few hundred dollars for a REISING mag

Last edited:

Shooter

UZI Talk Life Member
Garrett,
It sounds like a good idea. I am not familiar with the Uzi 45 mags but my Reising mags have a very narrow "nose" and long taper to clear the action bar. When you checked the fit, ("Just holding it and cycling the bolt by hand it looks like it could work.") could you see that the Uzi mag presented the round as high in the action as the Reising mags? Does the Uzi mag rub on the action bar when it is pushed high enough to present the cartridge at the same level as the Reising mag?

Garrett

Garrett,
It sounds like a good idea. I am not familiar with the Uzi 45 mags but my Reising mags have a very narrow "nose" and long taper to clear the action bar.
The Uzi mag is around .150” narrower than the Reising mag. It does not appear to drag on (or even touch) the action bar when inserted.

I cobbled something together, just as a proof of concept, using a wood spacer in the rear and some cardboard spacers on the sides for width. Cycling by hand, it appears it should work just fine.

I’ll try to get out to the range and put some rounds through it.

0LWEf3hl.jpg

UMay3z9l.jpg

Garrett

... also, Reising Mag wells are removable. It might be easier to modify one magwell to fit the UZI magazines.
I thought of that too. The issue there is you are stuck using mags for whichever magwell you have installed. Ideally, if I could attach an inexpensive adapter to the mag one could switch between Reising and Uzi mags and back as easily as swapping mags.

Uncle Billy

Looking promising...

now that is what I'm talking about :thumbs_up

and with the cheap PROMAGs you can modify a whole bunch of those :)

I just finished up my MP5 drum, using a SUOMI drum, and tested it this afternoon.......I don't have a full auto, but I'm about 97 percent sure it would work flawlessly. I wound the spring to where could keep up with rapid firing

Last edited:

Garrett

So I had also posted this over on the Machinegunboards.com Reising forum. One of the members there picked up the idea and started running with it.

Looking pretty promising so far...

Garrett

Mag sleeves are in production. Being made by DougStump, over at Machinegunboards.com Reising forum. He’s essentially selling them for the cost of materials. Way cool.

Of course, now nobody seems to have the Promag Uzi mags in stock. Go figure.

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Mag sleeves are in production. Being made by DougStump, over at Machinegunboards.com Reising forum. He’s essentially selling them for the cost of materials. Way cool.

Of course, now nobody seems to have the Promag Uzi mags in stock. Go figure.

Hey Garret, hope you have been well- are Glock .45 drum towers small enough to use? I got a fever and the doctor says only a drum mag can treat it.

Garrett

Hey Garret, hope you have been well- are Glock .45 drum towers small enough to use?
Keep in mind the Reising was designed with a mag that aligns at 90° to the barrel. A Glock mag is angled since the magwell is located in the grip.

While a Glock mag should physically fit in the magwell, the angle is such that it will likely not be possible to align the mag correctly without doing some surgery to the magwell.

Best bet might be to modify an existing drum and replace the feed tower with something more like a Reising mag.

Tinman45

May be a dumb question, but if you’re going to 3D print a solution, why not just 3D print plastic Reising mags? If you’ve got a couple to measure, shouldn’t be any huge deal to generate a CAD file, make them with a removable baseplate and bob’s your uncle. There are guys printing the 33rd Glock mags and making their own springs winding wire around a wooden mandrel and they appear to work fine, from what I’ve seen. Alternatively you could find something close enough and just order springs. If Santa brings me a 3D printer I’m going to try to see if I can print AR and GG mags.

Starvingboy

I’ve been 3d printing for a few years now. Printing a magazine is easy enough, I’ve done a few glock mags. Designing a magazine e is the tricky bit, and outside of my current skill level.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter