OFFICIAL GALIL LIBRARY

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Galil sniper in Vietnam (source: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?160628-Vietnam-People-s-Army-pictures/page127 )

MJjEpBx.jpg

xLsuIdz.jpg

L6A71Yp.jpg

Add'l vietnam pics here: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/06/05/iwi-produce-weapons-vietnam/

dnepr0mike

Can someone who has Galil MAR can share detailed pics of front sight/gas block (with hand guard off) please?

How does exactly front sight post is mounted in the sight block? thread like on AK? I have a sight/gas block combo that looks like MAR or maybe Hadar. It's stripped hole for the sight post however seems completely smooth and threaded.

Also, is there any source in the US that sells sight parts for MAR (front and rear)? Both of my sights came stripped completely. need to rebuild but can't find any spares anywhere.
Any help is appreciated.

lcastillo

Based on their rubber boots and no military insignias these guys are FARC guerillas from Colombia. I did not catch it the first time but all those rifles are 7.62MM. I see the standard AR model (center) with the 20" barrel. But I will have to say that the other 2 look to be SAR"s but with longer 18" barrels. I know for a fact in talking with Adipose the barrel length on a standard .308 Galil SAR is 16". So these 2 guns are they AR's or SAR's?

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Classic Galil -- the .308 barrel lengths are 15.7" for SAR and 21.1" for both AR and ARM as I understand it. These would have been primarily made in Israel.

Galil ACE -- the .308 barrel lengths are 16" for ACE 52 (SAR equivalent), 18" for Ace 52L (AR equivalent), and 20" for the ACE 53 (ARM equivalent). These would have been primarily made in Columbia.

I agree with you that the barrels look to be more 18" than 16", so it might be a Columbia-specific variant w/ 18" barrels -- an early customization/modification preceding the ACE...

marcoc

My version of an Estonian Galil SAR.

f728362d-c407-4dce-9a6a-41a8a501d151.jpg
galilfinal.jpg

Found a B&T fore grip.......in tan painted black. May take put the light as this is becoming an exercise just to pick it up.
galilfin.jpg

Last edited:

marcoc

Had to at least find out if it is at all feasible to have a magnifier work that far from the red dot (some of the the Estonia Galil SARs were set up this way). Cannot find the mount in the Estonia Galil SAR pictures (googled) but found a railed AK top cover that works...I think and mounted (cheap mount I had) and a new vortex (good reviews for the price) magnifier and....Voila! It works! When I do get some extra $$$ I'll get an eotech or aim point magnifier.

valiafganistan_1.jpg

2009-02-04_194432_estonian_ak_1.jpg

a9f6d1ca-ce0b-4ee5-88de-50e9718c02d0.jpg

Tried an Aimpoint magnifier but am getting a better sighting with the Vortex so this may be the final Estonia Galil SAR....found a B&T lightweight bipod.....this thing needs it!

1312ab18-fc29-4c87-8e82-0d3ced838cab.jpg

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter