More M16 Prices

SecondAmend

I have a us property M16A1 unfired N.I.B. I will let go for $85,000. It is a collector from the Vietnam era, you can shoot if you want, but it is more of a collector
In all likelihood, a former U.S. Dept. of Energy Colt M16A1. Not particularly rare as many such marked M16A1s were issued for security use on the Alaskan Pipeline; and at U.S. nuclear power plants all across the country where they sat locked up and were never used. They used to come up for sale fairly often 15 or so years ago.
If you haven't already done so, you could do a FOIA request to try to pin down transfer dates.
As you say, something for a collector.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well. 2A

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
I lived for 30 years in a no MG state (WA) but always wanted one. In 2001 we moved to AZ and I set out to get my 3 grail MGs; M16, UZI, and AK47. Well my local gun store/Class 3 toy store bought 10 Colt M16A1 and I was on the list to get 1st pick. These were guns that the Alyeska Pipeline sold off when they found out how much they were worth!
Originally Alyeska contacted Colt about buying a lot of AR15s for their private security force guarding the AK pipeline. At that time Colt was selling tons of AR rifles to US gun stores and was making good coin so they made an offer to Alyeska to sell them new M16s they had in inventory following the end of the Vietnam war. They would sell them to Alyeska for le$$ than the AR15s. At first the pipeline co. said no, as they didn't want bored pipeline guards out in the wilderness 'greasing' bears with machine guns. Colt told them it was no problem as they would install semi-auto selector switches in all the 16s. The deal was sealed and the pallet loads went out to AK.
The one I bought still had the SA selector and had never been fired in FA. Price in 2002: $7200. I thought I was being screwed, but still paid up.

planigan

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
That's incredible on the LMG one. Heck those uppers along are north of $3k now.

One of the better M16 deals I've seen lately - congrats to the buyer.
Funny, M16A1s went for more thanthis one int he same auction.

Odd auction - very few bidders - I bid @ 30K, somebody else went 32K - then done...
Closed really fast and onto the next item...

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter
There was a U.S. Property marked M16A2 listed in one of the dealer ads on Strum last week for 38k it went FAST.
There were 39 documented U.S. Property marked M16A2s that came from Colt VIA John Keyosaian (sp?)

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
SecondofAngle -
What do you think a Colt M16a2 635 (9mm) would go for today?

3154tm

UZI Talk Supporter
"BUYERS PREMIUM OF 17.5%will be applied to all property sold to be paid by the buyer as part of the purchase price and is therefore subject to applicable state sales tax. A 2.5% discount will be given to those paying by Cash, Wire Transfer, Bank check or pre-approved check."
in my state, depending on where you lived, that'd be about $29.5K unless you payed with cash.

Samuel_Hoggson

$23.5k is the price realized, ie., after all commissions. Hammer price would have been about 15% less. Might have been state taxes tho.

Not guessing. Used that particular auction house multiple times, buyer and seller.

secondofangle

SecondofAngle -
What do you think a Colt M16a2 635 (9mm) would go for today?

I don't know. They have usually sold at A1 prices (they are after all an A1 receiver). And most guys don't want to shoot dedicated 9mm in a Colt. So unless you're a collector, you're not interested. I paid $30k each in ~2016 for my R0633 DOE 9mm, my POUSG marked A2, and my A2 carbine (all part of the Keosayian collection, via PA dealers eg Targetmaster.

I haven't seen one listed or sold for quite a while.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter