Mini Uzi FA Heavy Bolts

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
IMO, just buy a second top cover and modify the charging parts.
I posted this in an old thread but can't find it now..
Modified-tc-lug-Micro-in-Mini.png

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
Amphibian's post from 2005.

Each ROF test mentioned was using a 10 shot burst

Factory IMI bolt w/ SMG spring from Vector:
Ammo was bulk packed Walmart Winchester 115 Gr.
1. 1158 RPM
2. 1144 RPM
3. 1166 RPM
4. 1148 RPM
AVG. 1154 RPM

BarrelExchage Heavy bolt w/ SMG spring from Vector:
Ammo: bulk packed Walmart Winchester 115 Gr.
1. 825 RPM
2. 832 RPM
3. 830 RPM
4. 833 RPM
AVG. 830 RPM

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
You take good notes.
I found my old spreadsheet from 2005 with those same numbers.
I also had documented using crappy UMC yellow box amo and got as low as 640 RPM with that ammo.

I took it out a few months ago and this is with my reloads 147Gr reloads
standard bolt:
Mini-standard-bolt-1024x512.jpg

Mini-BarrelXChange-HeavyBolt-1024x486.jpg

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
I located some extractors. Tommy from Vector Arms has them, They are in the $90 range with retaining pin.
They are 45acp, so you will need to grind down the lobe a little for 9mm use.
You can contact him directly at: directblowbackATgmail.com

delta-10

Per our conversation, put me down for 2 bolts. One for a Mini and the other for a Micro if anyone backs out. An email has been sent as well.

Full payment sent 2/21/2023

Last edited:

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
Production update.

We are a little more than half way through the machining process for the standard bolt configuration. Had a setback when the tooling for cutting the bolt faces wore out. It is being reground now and we should be back at it in a few days.

Will probably be another week or 2 to finish the first machining process. Once done, all standard bolt orders will be processed and people notified.

We are still a few weeks away from getting the tungsten in. Hopefully will be able to start shipping heavy bolts by end of April.

Troy

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
Production update.

The standard Mini bolt profile should be done next week.
Any orders for a Standard Mini Uzi open bolts will be filled and ready to go by the end of the month.

If you asked to be put on the list for a Standard or Heavy bolt, please send in your deposits by the end of the month. I have several people on the wait list to see if I have any left over from the run.
If I don't hear from you by the end of the month I will let the next person in line get your bolt.

All of the tungsten should be in by the end of the month and will start processing to finish the heavy bolts.
Shipping should start mid April.

Thanks for waiting.

Troy

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
IMO, just buy a second top cover and modify the charging parts.
I posted about this already in this old thread: https://uzitalk.com/forums/index.ph...bolt-to-mini-bolt-on-a-temporary-basis.97881/
For convenience, here is the picture I posted in there:
Modified-tc-lug-Micro-in-Mini.png

I also just pulled out my old BarrelXChange Mini/Micro 22LR bolt.
MiniMicroBolt1-1024x612.png

You can contrast that with how the heavy 9mm bolt is made below. I haven't seen how Troy does it for the heavy bolt but would assume a similar setup where he has a removable plate and maybe an additional hole to hold the top tungsten plate.
bolt_dis.jpg

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
I haven't seen how Troy does it for the heavy bolt but would assume a similar setup where he has a removable plate and maybe an additional hole to hold the top tungsten plate
Unfortunately I don't believe so. For now, after MUCH soul searching, I went ahead and ordered without cuts. Troy got back to me and said we could cut the bolts later. If it were possible to get a removable plate as you describe, I would have been all over that!!! With all the guys out there that have both Mini and Micro guns, you'd think that it would be popular? The idea of having separate top covers doesn't thrill me. Just more expensive extra parts to keep track of.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Unfortunately I don't believe so. For now, after MUCH soul searching, I went ahead and ordered without cuts. Troy got back to me and said we could cut the bolts later. If it were possible to get a removable plate as you describe, I would have been all over that!!! With all the guys out there that have both Mini and Micro guns, you'd think that it would be popular? The idea of having separate top covers doesn't thrill me. Just more expensive extra parts to keep track of.
So...I used to have a RR Micro UZI and sold it some time ago. I do miss having the complete 'family' but I rarely shot the Micro. I wanted to remain authentic so I ran it primarily in closed bolt since IMI never made a factory open bolt Micro.
In either case (open or closed bolt), I found my Micro to be very inaccurate in full auto. In semi, it was very accurate. I don't think I'm that bad of a shot either. I have always suspected that the receiver may have been flexing or something. I never did figure it out.
All that said, I would think a heavy bolt in a thinner receiver as the Micro has would be even worse and it isn't a true factory variation either if anyone cares about that as factory Micro's were never open bolt much less a heavy version.
IMHO, if you have a Micro, run it in all it's glory with the full 1700+ RPM.

I know the BarrelXchange heavy bolts are not true 'factory IMI heavy mini bolts' either. I think we all know IMI did make Mini heavy bolts but I can't recall seeing pictures of how they did them. I doubt they were modular which makes the BarrelXchange ones better IMHO. I do know that all the bolts I have gotten from BarrelXchange have been top notch with no issues.

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
IMHO, if you have a Micro, run it in all it's glory with the full 1700+ RPM.
My Micro is an open bolt conversion. It does run slower than when I drop the closed bolt in. I would like to think that Troy's bolt will make it run even slower, so it's worth the effort. But that excitement fades if I have to mess with alternate top covers etc on my Mini. Being able to simply unscrew a plug would be AWESOME! I guess we'll have to wait until Troy himself weighs in on the matter....

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
Those are the standard Mini bolts, no tungsten yet.
If you ordered a standard micro bolt, they will be cut and hardened next week.

The weighted bolts will be done when the rest of the tungsten shows up.

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
PRODUCTION UPDATE.

All of the bolts just came back from heat treating.
I'm traveling on business for the next week and will start the finishing process when I get back.

Bolts will be shipping by the end of the month.
I will contact those that sent deposits with balances.

To answer the questions above.

As far as I know and you would have to check with Rover Dave. IMI only prototyped the heavy bolt. It never went into production.

Micro charging handle cut is done after the tungsten plate is fitted. It is a narrow notch with just enough clearance to work properly.

The heavy bolts are not adaptable to the micro cut and mini insert as on the 22 bolts.
The screw that would hold the insert in place (6-40) would shear off during reciprocation due to the weight of the insert.
In this case dedicated is best.

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
UPDATE

Bolts are being parkerized and tungsten fitting has begun.
Standard bolts will start shipping next week.

I will be gone for a long weekend attending the memorial service for Dolf Goldsmith.
He was a pioneer in the MG world and prolific writer on Maxims, Vickers and Browning MG's.
He will be missed. He forgot more than most know.

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
Standard bolt orders will be shipping this week.
I am fitting the tungsten in batches. So 20 at a time will be completed.
The orders that are completely prepaid will go out first. If you have a balance I will contact you when your bolt is ready to ship.

Micro cut bolts will be the last to ship .

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
UPDATE.
I will be shipping a majority of the heavy bolts next week, both 9mm and 45acp.

If you have an order for Mini bolts and micro bolts, they will be held until the micro's are finished.
Micro cut bolts will go out in a couple of weeks at which time I will be accepting barrel orders

I'll start a new thread for barrels then.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Troy

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter