Making Orlite mags work in your ORF/Century Galil

N4KVE

GALIL RANGE TEST

Well I took my Cent Galil to the range today for the 3rd time. Almost perfect. Had 2 FTE's in 90 rounds. The empty cases stayed in the chamber but weren't stuck as cycling the bolt carrier again got them out. No other problems, bullet went where aimed. The only part in my gun that doesn't look new is the bolt. Maybe I need another extractor. I've had factory ar-15's & mini 14's do this. No biggy, I'm still not sending the gun back to Century. If I have a SHTF situation there's a Chinese AK that's ready. Also a British L1 for more range. Done testing, this Galil isn't going back, & to me is worth the $900 I paid. GARY N4KVE

N4KVE

Yeah my smith checked headspace twice. Both lugs make contact etc. My empty cases looked just like yours. Maybe just needs to be fired more. But very accurate. No problem there. Not upset about this. GARY N4KVE

GunTech

I would check to see how tight the extractor is gripping the cartridge, and also look at the case for sign of anything unusual in the chamber.

Kursk

Thanks to all you contributed to the thread.

I bought 3 orlite mags, and a little dremel work all 3 feed/function/fire just fine.:uzi

timkel

I just picked up a Century Golani ser# 3XXX. The Orlites fit perfectly without any mods.

centexas_man

New Century Galil

I picked up a new golani this weekend. Took it to the range and fired around 100 rounds through it. I only had 2 FTE. Overall I found it a great rifle. I was able to place all of the rounds in the black at 100 yards. The only thing that I did not like about it was that it chewed up my .223 brass. I like to reload. I decided to buy some wolf .223 ammo for this weapon and save the brass for my AR-15. I received a new Orilite mag today. I have not had a chance to use it yet. I read on this thread that people are having trouble making them fit. When I tried placing it in my mag well it did not want to fit. I slapped the hell on the bottom on the mag and it snaped in place. After that it want in smoothly each time. If it feeds on the range I will be buying more of them. :beer

Jasont

I ran wolf through my new golani had to field strip it 8 times with in 150 rounds. It was to the piont that I had to force a metal rod down barrel to push out the cartridge from the chamber.

Jasont

Yeah I heard that military ammo works better but I havent tried it yet. I bought bulk on the wolf ammo about 500rounds so im SOL I will use it though even though it is very dirty also

597newbie

Jasont said:
I ran wolf through my new golani had to field strip it 8 times with in 150 rounds. It was to the piont that I had to force a metal rod down barrel to push out the cartridge from the chamber.

were you using wolf hollow point rounds. same thing happens to me and then I switch to another type (wolf sp, any fmj, barnaul sp) and no problems.

597newbie

On topic - Here is my orlite photo post on another forum: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=92&t=116999 or http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=92&t=122177

- Bought 2 new orlite mags from gunbroker (from earlier posts).
- Serial number for my Century Golani is above.
- 2 steel mags that came with Golani fit and no major problems.
- 2 new orlite mags would not go into magazine well (see photos below)
- as I was taking photos where mag would not fit I got frustrated and slammed orlite mag into golani and it 'fit' very tightly. Slammed 2nd orlite mag in and it 'fit' too very snugly.
- pulled out both orlite mags and the front tabs were sheared off to look like the 2 metal mags i have.
- before, durning and after photos below.
- I have not test fired this or even cycled ammo thru the new orlite 'fixed' mags. will do tomorrow and report in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/emailpwstuff/Orlitebrokenfrontmagtab-1.jpg

====================================================
Jasont - I had the same problem again yesterday with the exact same ammo. wolf 55 hollow point. i have recreated the problem multiple times over the year i have owned galil. I know what is going to happen when i do it... i just do it again to prove that when I change the ammo to any other 223 ammo i problem goes away.

wolf black box hollow point 55gr gets stuck in chamber and I have to go and get rod from range warden to knock out thru the muzzle end of the barrel. takes some hard ramming, too. first 20 or 30 rounds fire then they jam in chamber. and then i knock out and swap out ammo.

Last edited:

jimpashia71

same problem,

i have a magazine adapter for AR magazines, but i cant use it my SN is 00061, so it was WAY before the wallow out machining. Use the TAPCO galil magazine, it rocks and is only $14.00.

My serial number is in the 800's is that a good number for the mag adapter? Mine doesn't look anything like the one at the first of the thread.

BokChoy

That looks just like the one I bought yesterday. No manual, one mag, and website offers very little info. What is the device on the back of the front sight for?

Mr Folgers

That looks just like the one I bought yesterday. No manual, one mag, and website offers very little info. What is the device on the back of the front sight for?

Front night-sight. It probably has no glow anymore if your gun is century.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter