M16 Refinish Help

sigfla

FFL/SOT
Ok guys I need help. I just took a look at my Bushy M16 this weekend. My form 3 was finally approved a couple of weeks ago and it has been at my dealer for a while. The finish on both the upper and lower clearly don't match.

The lower is in good shape structurally but the finish is just awful. It looks like someone hit it with a coat of black spray paint. The high side of the upper has raised pools of finish/paint on it and it looks bad to my eye. Should I send it of to Bushmaster and have them refinish it? (While I am at it I would pick up an 11.5 upper for it from them)

Or should I send it to someone else (DVC armarment, etc...)? and just pick up a cheaper upper from CMMG?

The price difference in the uppers isn't really an issue. I am more concerned with the finish.

Also, the gun seems to have a raised area on the right side of the receiver where the auto selector hole is (it is like the edges of the hole are turned up slightly). All of the other guns I have seen the right side of the selector pin fits flush with the receiver. I shoot lefty so I want an ambi safety selector. with that raised area around the selector hole I dunno if it will fit. I suppose that may be another reason to send it off to bushmaster. I am sure they can fix and fit the ambi selector. What do you guys think?

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
Don't let Bushmaster touch it. I love my Bushy but the one thing I HATE about it is the friggin purple lower finish. Have it redone in HK black or something.

Black Black Black

Post an inquiry on subguns.com and ask people who does the best BLACK M16 refinishing. There's a company that HK sends customers to for HK SMG refinishing. I would send it there. I forget the name.

How about this?

bushlower1.JPG

bushlower2.JPG

dan d.

What did you coat the receiver with? How did you get the FIRE and SAFE so precise and what did you use on them. They look great!

sigfla

FFL/SOT
That looks great. Very nice finish job. Details, details?????

dad d: That particular lower is GunKote moly resin. I have many colors/sheens as well as other brands of resin and epoxy finishes and can custom mix to match just about anything.
The lettering is a trade secret :D
Actually it is just carefull application of enamel and wiped clean with acetone. Takes a little practice but nothing special.

sigfla: I offer various refinishing services, shoot me an email if you would like a quote on a project.
I posted the above lower because it was a recent job that was exactly the same situation you are in. Lower did not match upper. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter