M11/9 TASK Upper Fails to Extract

cpuwhiz11

Hi all, I am looking for some advice on an issue I am having. I have a TASK upper for my M11/9 that consistently fails to extract. The empty case gets stuck partially out of the breach and repeated attempts to rechamber it and pull it out with the bolt and extractor fail. I have to punch it out with a clearing rod. Looking at the brass, about half the case has evenly bulged slightly outward at the rear. Putting it back in the chamber is hard and it does not fit back easily into the ammo tray.

What could be going wrong?

A couple theories:
  • Dirty chamber. I gave it a good clean and the issue is still happening
  • The buffer/buffer spring is too light and it is attempting to extract too early. The TASK upper has an AR buffer tube it operates with and I have a H3 buffer in (it weighs 5.15oz). I got an adjustable buffer and cranked it up to 6.5 or so ounces, but that made no difference. I dropped the weight down to 4.8oz, but that also did nothing. It still cycled though so perhaps I could up the weight even further? I did not change the buffer spring, but perhaps I could find a stiffer one.
  • Bad extractor on the bolt. I am not sure how to diagnose this, but I suspect this is not it given just how stuck in place the brass seems. It cycles fine with snap caps.
  • Bad barrel. I took a look at it with my borescope and I did see some rings in the chamber (see attached picture). Perhaps these are letting the brass overexpand or catching the brass on extraction?
  • Bad ammo. I shot a couple different manufacturers and they all saw this issue (mix of brass and steel), but perhaps I need to find something heaver. I was shooting exclusively 115 grain.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I am not that concerned since I am on the waitlist for a Lage upper, but it would be nice to get this upper to work too. I think my next step is to get a replacement barrel. As an aside if anyone knows how to take apart the TASK upper, that would be useful information.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 9

Shattered

Is this a new upper to you? Has it ever worked properly? Sounds like the barrel is toast. The brass shouldn’t really be all that bulged after firing. I had a funky barrel in one of my M11/9s as well.

Garrett

Definitely a barrel issue. Any upper can be used with the TASK slowfire system (ok, maybe not a MAX-31).

What you describe won’t be related to bolt/buffer mass. Open bolt guns generally fire while the bolt is still moving forward, which makes for a much softer recoil impulse. So you won’t be extracting early, no matter how little buffer weight you use.

Similarly, the extractor does not pull the case from the chamber when firing. Rather, the case pushes the bolt backward and the extractor is only there for the case to pivot off of when the other side is hit by the extractor. Again, would not cause your issue.

It sounds like the cartridge is firing before all the way into the chamber. This can be caused by a rough or dirty chamber. Or by some other obstruction in the chamber.

You should be able to take any standard M11/9 upper and try it out. Or as suggested, change out the barrel.

cpuwhiz11

Thanks for all the information. I will look to find another barrel?.

Do you have any idea where to get a replacement?
The standard m11/9 barrel is about 5 inches long and I see those on a couple websites, but as best as I can tell the TASK upper uses something closer to 10 inches. Looking down the barrel it is rifled throughout and does not appear to be multiple pieces.

Also, any idea how to take it apart? I see a pin and hex nut I can fiddle with, but it looks like everything front of the upper is just screwed on.

Here is a picture I found so everyone is on the same page:

header-629.jpg

Garrett

Cool! You got one of the long-barreled uppers. I’m not sure about finding a replacement barrel for one of those. Hopefully someone here does.

But as noted, a standard 5” barreled upper will work. I generally use an old Autowerkes side-cocking upper & front grip when I use the TASK setup on my gun. I believe Practical Solutions sells something similar.

UDP4RK8.jpg

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I like Lage's barrels, but I believe those are 8"

ILWT makes good stuff too. I have found you can spend a lot of money trying to fix something, when you can also get something much cheaper with modern 1/2x28 threads ands probably a top rail. These doubled in price, but are still the cheapest option
This appears identical for $130 less!? You never know with MPA, you have to call them but I have gotten this stuff from them and it works. I just bought 3 and stuck them somewhere for the future as that's really a deal. Took about a year to ship IIRC.

For my money, I'd buy one of these and put a barrel in it as it's in stock.

cpuwhiz11

Just to close the loop on this, I got another side cocking upper and it works fine. I did have a couple of light strikes/duds, but I think that is more the Winchester white box than anything to do with my gun.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter