M11/180

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
This is not the update I wanted to give but it is what it is. I have spent way to much time trying to get this upper receiver running well and I think its time to move on. I think using the mag well for the ejection port was a bad idea, it just seems to allow to many opportunities for spent rounds to bounce around and not make it out of the receiver. It also makes it hell trying to figure out feeding issues since the top of the chamber is blocked by the drum and the long mag well makes it impossible to see anything from the bottom. So on to version 2 with a right side ejection port. This design should make the transition to the baby mac possible as there was no way the mag well ejection port would have worked with the short receiver. I've got the 3d models done and I've started 3d printing some of the parts for fitment but now that warmer weather is here my spare time is going to be limited so its going to be awhile before I'll have the prototype built and be able to start testing it. Version 1 and version 2 below.

m11-180-receiver-v1.jpgm11-180-v2.jpg

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
Good luck to you. That sure would be a fun accessory.

Slowmo

This design should make the transition to the baby mac possible as there was no way the mag well ejection port would have worked with the short receiver.

Well even though it sounds like you believe this to be bad news, this line alone makes it good news to me! Onwards and upwards!

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I think the side ejection port was a much better idea. One of the problems with the 180 was the bottom ejection port. It's difficult and awkward to see and clear a jam. Good work. I'm looking forward to the progress.

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
Very cool. Any idea what it seems to occasionally make a louder popping sound? Is that just from the recording or was that detectable in person?
Just the recording and where I shoot. My range has natural embankments that cause strange echos.

Slowmo

Just the recording and where I shoot. My range has natural embankments that cause strange echos.
I hope you produce them for the baby Mac too. Would it shoot even faster in a baby Mac package?

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
I hope you produce them for the baby Mac too. Would it shoot even faster in a baby Mac package?
With the ejection port moved forward now there is plenty of bolt travel room so I don't think there will be much of a difference between the two.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I bought a couple of 180 magazines and a winder a couple years ago juuuust in case. I'm rooting for you!

SecondAmend

With the ejection port moved forward now there is plenty of bolt travel room so I don't think there will be much of a difference between the two.
Yeah, I've got a Fleming .22 upper for the M11/380 that is one of the later, longer, forward port versions that can also be used on the M11/9 by cutting off the 380 mounting lug. The ROF is around 1000 +/- 20 with CCI MiniMag.

Good luck and have fun with the M11/180 project.

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
For you am180 guys that are following this thread. I created a follower for the am180 drum. In my upper it allows the last live round in the drum to be fired, then allows the bolt to close on an empty chamber and keeps the drum from spinning down and unloading the spring. Removing it is a little tricky until you get the hang of it but I like it better than having to remove the mangled unfired last round. I'm not sure if it will behave the same way in a am180 because I created my own feed block which I think is a little deeper and longer than the original. If any of you would like to try one the first 5 guys to pm me your mailing address will receive one to try.

am180-follower.jpg

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
What a great idea. I never liked the mangled last round design.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter