Lower Registration Question

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
If you buy a Lower, and the GS fills out the paperwork and marks "Rifle", can you legally build a Pistol on said Lower, or must you build it as a Rifle?
I bought a Lower a few years ago and the LGS marked "Rifle", but as I was planning to build a Rifle, it didn't matter, but I'm thinking about buying another Lower to build a Pistol (this time I will tell them to mark "Other"!) but I'm curious about it.

Last edited:

Uncle Billy

a few years ago? the LGS screwed up big time then, if you bought a stripped lower then the LGS should have marked it as "other". it's not a option for him to check rifle or pistol on a stripped lower, he has to check that as other.....no matter what you say to check that box as rifle or pistol, he has to check other

in any event the status of that lower depends on how that lower left the manufacturer facility, if it left as a bonified stripped lower, then you can build it as pistol or a rifle. if however, it left the manufacturer as a completed rifle, that is what that has to stay as, a rifle.

and yes ever manufacturer has to keep records on how that firearm left their facility as, by serial number

Last edited:

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
a few years ago? the LGS screwed up big time then, if you bought a stripped lower then the LGS should have marked it as "other". it's not a option for him to check rifle or pistol on a stripped lower, he has to check that as other.....no matter what you say to check that box, he has to check other

in any event the status of that lower depends on how that lower left the manufacturer facility, if it left as a bonified stripped lower, then you can build it as pistol or a rifle. if however, it left the manufacturer as a completed rifle, that is what that has to stay as, a rifle.

and yes ever manufacturer has to keep records on how that firearm left their facility as, by serial number

It was at least 9 years ago; I ordered the Lower and had it shipped to the shop, so it was a new stripped Lower for sure. I saw the clerk (not the owner) mark "Rifle" on the paperwork, but since I was planning to build a Rifle on it anyway, I didn't say anything about it. Had I been planning to build a Pistol, I would have asked him to redo it.
I was just curious about whether you can build a Pistol on a Lower that is "papered" as a Rifle, or if you are stuck with Rifle only.

Uncle Billy

well, if you know that it came as a stripped lower then I would build it as a pistol. but if you are paranoid about it being marked as a rifle on the 4473, then just buy another stripped lower

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
well, if you know that it came as a stripped lower then I would build it as a pistol. but if you are paranoid about it being marked as a rifle on the 4473, then just buy another stripped lower

That's my plan for the next one; that way I can build it as a Pistol, and, if I don't like it, I can rebuild it as a Rifle.

OldBesty

well, if you know that it came as a stripped lower then I would build it as a pistol.

Reckless advice above.

OP, I am assuming you may have purchased that receiver at a time before revision of the 4473 to include the "other firearm" category. You should not simply presume it was mistake by the GS. The receiver you purchased may have in fact been originally declared and registered as "rifle" to the ATF by the manufacturer. It could have been overrun or stock that was originally intended to be built as rifle or carbine when serialized. It could have also been sourced from a rifle that was stripped down.

At the very least, I highly recommend attempt to contact the manufacturer and request help and verification confirming how that receiver was originally registered under its SN should you ever entertain thought of building it to a pistol.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Reckless advice above.

OP, I am assuming you may have purchased that receiver at a time before revision of the 4473 to include the "other firearm" category. You should not simply presume it was mistake by the GS. The receiver you purchased may have in fact been originally declared and registered as "rifle" to the ATF by the manufacturer. It could have been overrun or stock that was originally intended to be built as rifle or carbine when serialized. It could have also been sourced from a rifle that was stripped down.

At the very least, I highly recommend attempt to contact the manufacturer and request help and verification confirming how that receiver was originally registered under its SN should you ever entertain thought of building it to a pistol.

Good info, thanks. I ordered it from a Distributor (?) that was selling them through Shotgun News. I wanted it because it has "Duty, Honor, Country" engraved on the left side of the Magwell, and the guy also engraved (or had it done) my name and branch of service on the right side (for a fee, of course!). I'd been wanting to build a civilian-legal copy of the rifle I carried, and that setup sealed the deal for me.
My son and I built it and fired it for function check, then I put it in the safe.

OldBesty

Sounds like it is worth keeping as heirloom in that configuration. Sentimental value is a hard thing to replace.

Ordering through Shotgun News may increase likelihood the receiver was originally registered as a "rifle".
Any manufacturer info engraved? Format of the SN can sometimes give clues if not.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Sounds like it is worth keeping as heirloom in that configuration. Sentimental value is a hard thing to replace.

Ordering through Shotgun News may increase likelihood the receiver was originally registered as a "rifle".
Any manufacturer info engraved? Format of the SN can sometimes give clues if not.

That one will stay as a Rifle for sure. The MFR info & SN are stamped into the Receiver (the engraving is basically only through the finish, not deep into the metal).

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
That's my plan for the next one; that way I can build it as a Pistol, and, if I don't like it, I can rebuild it as a Rifle.

I would suggest thinking twice about pistol builds if your planning on relying on a pistol brace. Those things are destined to be banned.

OldBesty

I would suggest thinking twice about pistol builds if your planning on relying on a pistol brace. Those things are destined to be banned.

Original response deleted and made as new thread under "Political Talk" out of respect for the OP and keeping discussion in his thread non-political.

Pistols can be made to SBR or rifle at any time.

Last edited:

Member13

I just picked up a Century Arms UC9 from my dealer. I asked how it was transferred and it went as "other'". Looks like I am building a pistol now.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter

If it goes like most of my projects, (guns,knives,holsters,etc) I will spend way too much time getting everything exactly right, then it will just sit. The only guns I built and actually used were a Flintlock Rifle (actual build, not a kit) and a Savage 110 Tactical that I extensively modified for Competition.
But you're right about the Braces; I'm surprised they were ever approved.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
A couple of months ago I picked up a stripped Spike's lower. Primary Arms was the seller / FFl and they recorded it on the 4473 as 'Receiver'. I have a copy of the receipt as I was worried about this as I intend to build a pistol but may convert to a rifle eventually.

Sometime in the mid-1990's I bought a couple of complete lowers with stocks that were in the factory Bushmaster boxes and serial #'s indicated preban. They were obviously factory items and probably pushed out the door as 'Rifle Lowers' but in ~1995, who knows? In any case, I determined that since it was a gray area and I couldn't PROVE they were factory-assembled rifles and according to some, only factory complete rifles were exempt from all the restrictions so I just sold them.

I've had some very bad expensive personal experience with whimsical BATF examiners / agents so I avoid any potential trouble.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
My spikes lower was recorded recently as “receiver” as well.

Currently a pistol, soon to be deemed by alphabet as an AOW so at that time I’ll stamp it as an SBR.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I'm really just looking for a project for the winter, and I don't need another AR Rifle.
"Shop" isn't heated, so I want something I can assemble in the house.

Deerhurst

I'm really just looking for a project for the winter, and I don't need another AR Rifle.
"Shop" isn't heated, so I want something I can assemble in the house.

You can build anything in the house! I machined 2 80% ARs on my dining table and built a PPSh from a parts kit in my living room when I lived in a second floor apartment and worked graveyard.

Yes, I was single at the time. My girlfriend now would kill me if I did that now.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
You can build anything in the house! I machined 2 80% ARs on my dining table and built a PPSh from a parts kit in my living room when I lived in a second floor apartment and worked graveyard.

Yes, I was single at the time. My girlfriend now would kill me if I did that now.

My lovely wife is VERY understanding and patient, I built the above-mentioned AR on our Dining Room table. I have a Library/Man Cave that I could set up the Drill Press in if I found a project that was interesting enough.
ARs are like Legos for grown men; just more expensive!

sweersa

Two "safe" options would be to obtain another stripped lower, or register the existing one as an SBR.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter