Just shot max11a1/15 for first time

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
You're basically asking the same question an m16 owner asks, except that this gun should be actually cooler because it runs open bolt. I think I remember an M16 owner saying they switch uppers after three mags. Since you only have one, you'll have to just wait I guess.

Don't blame the upper, there's tremendously more energy in these rifle rounds than there is in a 9 mm round.

SirCrashOlot

this
52252429322_b77d095b5a_c.jpg

and this

52266175474_8aa6e031fc_c.jpg
On bottom is that the saw mag? If so any problems with it? I'm thinking about getting one and buying a 11/15 upper as I think a 150 rnd mag dump would be fun as hell thanks

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
The SAW Mag's been OK but the MCI Gen 2 100 rd Drums have been more reliable.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
You're basically asking the same question an m16 owner asks, except that this gun should be actually cooler because it runs open bolt. I think I remember an M16 owner saying they switch uppers after three mags. Since you only have one, you'll have to just wait I guess.

Don't blame the upper, there's tremendously more energy in these rifle rounds than there is in a 9 mm round.
My normal, when testing the Tenko and running my DIAS, is to switch uppers after four 30 round mags or after a 100 round Beta-C. But I do that so I am not abusing the upper and it is cooler so that I don't get burned so easily. I can dump two Beta-C mags in a row, but it front lug of the upper will get to 260 degrees. That gets the front pin pretty hot. I also feel that the hotter the barrel, the faster it will wear. So changing the uppers more often has them last longer.

It is my understanding that a group of testers tried to pop the gas tube on a an early test unit using 30 round mags. The extra cooling of the open bolt mechanism seemed to give the gas tube more cooling between mags. I suppose that the barrel can be replaced so have at it.

Scott

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Yea IV8888 has a series of videos where he shoots m16s to failure and it's dozens and dozens of mags, and in the end it's a melted gas tube so it's not dangerous. He is for the record wearing an oven mitt and welding mask!

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
A Melonited gas tube will last longer than a plain stainless steel gas tube. It also makes a big difference in the gas tube length. A pistol length gas tube will blow out after fewer rounds than a carbine length tube. A rifle length tube will last the longest.

Of course you can get many more rounds through a piston system. With the different coefficient of heat expansion, you can get a barrel hot enough to peal the chrome lining out.

Scott

LawBob

Spikes tactical wrapped its kompressor build tube with copper filament I guess in the hope that it would dissipate heat faster. More surface area.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter