I gave my STEN a Finnish accent

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
I never found a stock for the STEN that I liked so I decided to make my own. I took an M31 'Suomi' parts kit and reworked the stock to fit the STEN. I then took the shrouded barrel and reworked that to fit as well. Now I have a much more comfortable stock with a longer LOP. The heavy barrel is nice as it gives you a more natural way to grip the front and it doesn't heat up nearly as fast but it is heavier so I don't always run that. What do you think?

am6uI2B.jpg
[/IMG]

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
Very cool. It looks like some sort of late war, Volkssturm submachine gun.

Any changes to how the STENmi KP-31 shoots?

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
No real change in the ROF. Like I said the heavy, shrouded barrel lets me shoot it longer before it get too hot to handle.

With the wooden stock and a repro Mark V STEN front grip it looks kinda like a poor man's Marlin UD-42.
nUKTWE1.jpg
[/IMG]

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Nice! I've been pondering on something like that for awhile now. So much cooler than all the AR stock crap out there.

Galil#1

Beautiful Work Skoda, awhile keeping such a classic look even more classic!
I don't even own a STEN... almost makes me want to buy one and hire you for the Masterful Enhancements, be worth every penny indeed!

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
I like. Agreed Chili, AR stocks are silly.

How front heavy is that BBL/shroud?

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
It's not too heavy. Obviously it's heavier than a regular STEN barrel but the extra weight also makes it easier to keep it on target. The biggest advantage is being able to hold it like a regular long gun with your hand further out and protected from the muzzle and the heat. I find it much steadier than the standard barrel. I cut the multiport muzzle brake off of it because I didn't like the look and I don't think that it's worthwhile.

The butt stock is the biggest improvement. I tried the T-stock (gag-gag), the loop stock (not bad but the LOP is short and the stock is hot or cold if the weather is the same), a Mark 5 wooden stock which looks really cute and being wood is nice for extreme weather but it too is really short, shorter than the loop stock. I have kinda long arms so a short LOP is bothersome. That's why I did the Suomi stock conversion.

I have the parts to make two more stocks, if anyone is interested PM me.

Then there is this version:
5MKAa05.jpg
[/IMG]

Rob1928

UZI Talk Supporter
That has a REALLY nice classic look to it. The 2nd gen blowback tube SMGs may well be obsolete by every modern standard (as are admittedly MOST SMGs from any age) but they have nice sense of style especially when they incorporate wood. If most transferables are really just range toy there's zero reason to not make it into exactly what pleases you especially as it is instantly able to be put back into it "correct" configuration. What great fun!

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks for the comments. I really like it and shooting it that way is so much better than the original stock choices. But it does look a bit odd so that is why I asked for the feedback. My shooting buddy burst out laughing when he first saw it. I guess it's because it just doesn't look like a STEN anymore. With the Suomi barrel it looks more like a German MP28 that is down on it's luck. I was thinking of coming up with some wood for the Suomi barrel shroud but if I made it more than about 1/2 inch thick I think that it would start looking too chunky in the front.

The two fisted configuration is a lot of fun to shoot from the hip.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Is there a way to put a Foregrip on the Soumi Shroud? That would eliminate the need for a thin forearm.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
Is there a way to put a Foregrip on the Soumi Shroud? That would eliminate the need for a thin forearm.

I could but IMA doesn't offer the forward grip anymore and I don't want to mess with the one that I have because I use it with the short barrel as you see. I'll mess around with somethings. If I come up with anything good I'll report back here. Maybe some Magpul M-LOK rubber grip panels............NAH!

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Magpul M-Lok panels? NAH! Just cut up a rubber floor mat and secure it with radiator hose clamps!
Seriously, Idk if it would be worth the effort, but Thompson Foregrips are readily available

Last edited:

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
I never found a stock for the STEN that I liked so I decided to make my own. I took an M31 'Suomi' parts kit and reworked the stock to fit the STEN. I then took the shrouded barrel and reworked that to fit as well. Now I have a much more comfortable stock with a longer LOP. The heavy barrel is nice as it gives you a more natural way to grip the front and it doesn't heat up nearly as fast but it is heavier so I don't always run that. What do you think?

am6uI2B.jpg
[/IMG]

I like! :thumbs_up

Rob1928

UZI Talk Supporter
Skoda, I've got two loop stocks that I wrapped the narrow portion of with a rawhide strip. That made them nicer to shoot in the cold and still fit the utilitarian appearance of the gun.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
Rob, I tried that but my main concern was getting more LOP. All of the factory stocks were just too short for me. The LOP of my wooden stock is 14"; The loop is 12.5" and the other two are shorter yet. An inch and a half in length of pull is huge.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
FYI - I made and put a couple of stocks for sale on the Parts, Accys, Ammo board.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter