hottest SMG 9mm Uzi reload data?

Heavy Gear

UZI Talk Supporter
Was wondering if there is any published reloading data on the hottest loads you can shoot in a full sized Uzi SMG?
thanks guys!

maschinenpistole

The reloading manuals that are put out by the bullet makers will give you a starting load and list the maximun load for their particular bullet using different powders. The only loading data for very hot loads will usually be by the reloaders/wildcatters themselves, who have exceeded the bullet makers maximun load recommendations/pressures. If you are not an experienced handloader I would suggest that you not bother - It is very easy to double charge a pistol round or bulge a barrel with a squib round. It really isn't worth it for that extra couple feet per second.

Heavy Gear

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks Maschinenpistole, I've just heard people talk about the Uzi being over built like a tank and could take Sub Gun only +P++ type loads and wondered if anyone had Uzi SMG only reloading data for such.
I mainly reload for subsonic shooting with a suppressor. Thought I might load up some +P+ for the wow factor between subsonic and full house sub gun ammo.
But after reading your post. it may not be worth the risk playing with high pressures in a Transferable.

maschinenpistole

I agree - Uzi's are built like tanks and can handle +P rounds. I'm sure someone here on the forum who reloads has a +P load for their 9mm smg. Or you can get a box of new production ammo - like Speer's 124 grain +P jacketed hollow point.

Firecop203

I tried loading some hotter ammo for my MK-760 and I didn't know that the chamber wasn't fully supported. One of my rounds blew out the back end of the case and broke the rim of the bolt where the front of the bolt meets the end of the case. It took some time and more money than I wanted to spend, but I was finally able to find a replacement bolt.

With the cost of full autos what they are now, I wouldn't take the chance.

sillycon

I know a gentleman that run 6gr Unique under a 124gr LRN. I shot that load in his AR with a RDIAS, and it's got a LOT of "boom". A lot more than necessary IMO.

I think it could be backed down to 5.5 or even less and still be a "SMG only"-class load!

K2

Hi,

In general most open bolt SMG's for military use can run hot loads w/o immediate damage. Spring force and bolt mass remaining the same, I tend to develop loads that make the gun run smooth, reliable, and accurate. On days that I don't heed my own advice, I've developed loads w/158gr bullets running at 1025fps from a 10" barrel Uzi. In the end, I slowed the load down to about 980 fps as unlike the military, I can not afford to replace/repair my guns more often than required.

Read older reloading manuals and watch your OAL carefully and "hot" loads are easily developed. (Never load a "hot" load short as pressures go up in a hurry with the 9x19.) It appears the latest crop of manuals have a bit more margin built in for folks not following the book.

Enjoy,

K2

paintmanmatt

I am just curious as why one would want to run "hot loads". Is there any positive effect? I'm relatively new to hand-loading, and tend to stay in the safe, comfortable zone.

Matt

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
I am just curious as why one would want to run "hot loads". Is there any positive effect? I'm relatively new to hand-loading, and tend to stay in the safe, comfortable zone.

Matt
The only reasons i can think of are is you shoot in matches with heavy set steel or are under the impression that they will give you more "stopping power". The down sides are you go through more powder and create more wear and tear on your firearm

sillycon

Heavy plates are the only reason I'd do it.

Other than that I want my loads as light as I can possibly get them; easier to stay on target, cheaper to load, and less wear/tear on the gun AND shooter.

Heavy Gear

UZI Talk Supporter
I was hoping that hotter loads would smooth the cyclic rate out. And put some balls behind knocking plates down. instead of Chug...Chug.. Chug..
I always thought that they designed the Uzi to run on hotter ammo.
Hell my Max-11 with speed bolt is about perfect for putting rounds on target.
Think I see a semi auto buffer in my future to speed things up a bit. that new titanium bolt is too fast for what I'm looking for.

Garrett

I mainly reload for subsonic shooting with a suppressor. Thought I might load up some +P+ for the wow factor between subsonic and full house sub gun ammo...
To be honest, you're not really going to see any difference. A standard pressure supersonic round goes "bang". A super-duper-sonic round also just goes "bang". The casual observer is not going to be able to tell much / any difference.

If you want something that runs like a "full house sub gun", try putting a thick buffer in the back of the receiver. This causes the bolt to short-stroke, and speeds it up dramatically. After a sedate subsonic mag dump, a high-speed dump is a real crowd-pleaser. :uzi

mace2364

OK, so I'm going to need to go all necro-thread here. I'm also looking for some "warmer" 9mm loads for a particular purpose. Last year I shot in the MGM Ironman match with my Uzi carbine. I was using some commercial 115gr 9mm ammo(which was all I had on hand). I had a number of malfunctions, which I believe were due to the loads being pretty light and the weapon being dirty. The environment at this match is comparable to what I saw in combat overseas as far as dust and carbon, and I'm fairly certain a hotter loading will correct my problems for this year as well as make the steel fall more reliably. I'm looking towards something 124gr, and preferably some cast loads as well.

kaen3e

UZI Talk Life Member
Um what class did you shoot in the iron man with an Uzi. There was only one stage last year where a smg was used and the piece of shit mp5 kept blowing extractors.

mace2364

Trooper. In trooper class you can use a pistol caliber carbine, so I used the Uzi carbine I built. But last year, there wasn't a stage with an SMG.

Liberabit

The addition of a buffer reduces the cycle stroke therefor increasing the cyclic rate.

atfsux

I don't recall the exact load that he used to do it, but the gun writer Frank James blew up his transferable Uzi and bulged the receiver while running it with a 9x21 barrel. You might remember that 9x21 was a civilian cartridge created in Italy where "military calibers" are banned for civilians to own. The 9x21 cartridge is exteriorly the exact same dimensions for the cartridge as 9x19, but with a 2mm longer case. Bullets are simply seated a little deeper to create the same overall dimensions.

However, some people felt this allowed them to run 9x21 a little bit hotter than 9x19 because 9x21 was only chambered in newer modern guns that can handle higher pressures that older pre-WW2 designs and for which most commercial 9x19 is loaded for so as not to damage or blow up older specimens. It was rather common in the late 90's when this round was in vogue and being experimented with here in the U.S. to load it closer to .38Super performance. And apparently that's what Frank James did, fully expecting his Uzi was robust enough to contain anything that might go awry,...and he was WRONG. Put too much powder behind anything and you can get KABOOMED.

David Hineline

FFL/SOT
Back in the day I ran 210gr 41 AE loads at 1200 fps
Also shot steel with 165gr 9mm bullets just under 1100 for subsonic

The 165gr did not stabilize well and grouping was poor.

Now I am a more reasonable shooter, but the gun never failed.

Paul Kersey

Look for some L7A1 9mm ammo imported years ago. I realize this is not reload information that you ask- for but if you want to experience some hot stuff.

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter