handgun red dot sights. what do you use, do you like it, and why. and dot size

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
@matt: in the reviews for that trijicon a lot of people mention having issues seeing the dot when shooting from a darker area then the target. One said it was a problem in a indoor range, where the booth was dimly lit and target was bright, they had trouble seeing the dot. A totally passsive sight is a great idea, except it seems in that instance. Seems that electric sights may suffer from the same issue however as the photocell is mounted on the optic and is most likely not judging the light conditions down range. Have you had any adverse experiences with your passive sight?

I don’t shoot at indoor ranges, but unless they were pitch dark where you stand I don’t think it is an issue. Where the issue is most notable for me is standing in my dark basement looking out the window into bright day. Def less noticeable if you use a large dot vs one of the small ones.
That being said, it is a trade off & makes the argument for cowitness.

glockman

I use a vortex venom 6 moa on my G17 MOS with suppressor sights to cowitness. Anyone who would consider this to be a insufficient combo to be considered a weapon and only a range toy is foolish on my opinion. Have won more than one match shooting against pistols that cost twice the price in C/O class USPSA. It is the Indian, NOT the arrow. Train with it and you will see all of the advantages that both eyes open shooting has to offer. That being said, if you want to reach out with it to distance, you may want to go with a 3 MOA as the 6 will cover up quite a bit of your target at anything over 75 yards. You will be missing the shake awake feature though if that is of major importance to you. Go with the Romeo if you want that feature and you can get a plate for it. They are great red dots.

xdamagedx

I carry an FNX. (NOT a realistic CC gun. I bought it because it was fun to shoot. Got an IWB holster assuming I'd be sick of carrying it after a couple weeks... 2 years later I'm still carrying it). It's got a Trijicon RM06 rmr. (3.whatever moa red dot. I said red dots on pistols were stupid and I'd never spend that much money on a sight). It makes hitting an 8" plate at 40 yards ridiculously easy. Dry fire and draw practice seem to help... I need to do that more. I work in a very dirty environment and I treat my setup like it's a used Glock. The gun nor the red dot has failed me yet. I caught it on sale for a ridiculous deal (less than 400) and haven't regretted it since. Sometimes the "buy once cry once" thing makes sense, sometimes it's bullshit, you gotta make that call.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I carry an FNX. (NOT a realistic CC gun. I bought it because it was fun to shoot. Got an IWB holster assuming I'd be sick of carrying it after a couple weeks... 2 years later I'm still carrying it). It's got a Trijicon RM06 rmr. (3.whatever moa red dot. I said red dots on pistols were stupid and I'd never spend that much money on a sight). It makes hitting an 8" plate at 40 yards ridiculously easy. Dry fire and draw practice seem to help... I need to do that more. I work in a very dirty environment and I treat my setup like it's a used Glock. The gun nor the red dot has failed me yet. I caught it on sale for a ridiculous deal (less than 400) and haven't regretted it since. Sometimes the "buy once cry once" thing makes sense, sometimes it's bullshit, you gotta make that call.

What position do you carry in, and do you feel that it prints more? Most people I know who carry with red dots use appendix carry, so the extra space taken up isn't as much of a problem vs strong side.

xdamagedx

What position do you carry in, and do you feel that it prints more? Most people I know who carry with red dots use appendix carry, so the extra space taken up isn't as much of a problem vs strong side.

Usually about 4/5 o'clock. I use to care about printing or even flat-out showing, I don't give a shit anymore. If it's showing: Michigan is an open carry state. If it's printing: most people think it's anything BUT a gun. I had one kid at my second job tell me "now I can say I've seen someone tattooing wearing a gun". I replied "I don't know what youre talking about, this is a cell phone". He 100% agreed and felt like an idiot.
It usually only shows when I wear smaller shirts. I consistently have long-term customers who say "why do you carry a gun now?" when I have shorter shirts on. "I've carried a gun for 10+ years, apparently my clothes are too small today".

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Local shiptons has leupold delta point pro for $379.99. Messed with it. The one thing i really like about it is the backup iron sights, and the air gap between the glass frame and the roll bar kinda. Other then that. The deal breakers were how absolutely it is a royal total pain in the butt to install a battery (little magnet on the battery door to lift old batteries out is cool), and the button of confusion that controls the contraption. Trying to adjust brightness and turn the thing off. Kinda wanted to be impressed.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Checked out a holosun HS507k at scheels. I think there is a newer version out, as the buttons are in a different spot then the one on holosuns website. Really liked the reticle. Just the glass was atrocious! Was slightly colored, which I can totally get over. What i have a hard time getting over is te curve of the glass distorts the picture. Anybody with a similar holosun have that isssue? Or was it just the one i messed with?

OldBesty

Local shiptons has leupold delta point pro for $379.99. Messed with it. The one thing i really like about it is the backup iron sights, and the air gap between the glass frame and the roll bar kinda. Other then that. The deal breakers were how absolutely it is a royal total pain in the butt to install a battery (little magnet on the battery door to lift old batteries out is cool), and the button of confusion that controls the contraption. Trying to adjust brightness and turn the thing off. Kinda wanted to be impressed.

The "roll bar" is the spring steel shroud and makes it very durable and resistant to breaking if you drop it or hit it on something. The little bit of "air gap" helps prevent direct transfer of energy to the glass should this happen. Think how bumpers work on automobiles.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Didnt know it was spring steel. Kinda nifty. The benefits of that air gap are apparent in that pdf you posted. Didnt realize (or forgot) it has motion sensing. Dont have to deal with the button so much then. At this point im kinda at the crossroads of the leupold, holosun, or just cheaping out and getting a vortex. Really like the leupold glass and backup sight. And since finding out it has a motion sensor I think it practical for a carry gun. Holosun has everything i could want, except a awesome warranty and I am having a hard time getting over the terrible glass quality. If i spend stupid amounts of money it better be awesome in my opinion. Only reason I would consider the vortex is because its cheap, good warranty, works, auto on, and would keep me from blowing my budget lol. Have almost ordered a mounting plate to narrow down my options. Just the leupold is a different plate then the holosun... your slowly talking me into the leupold besty!

For those interested, here is a list of all of the good to mediocre reflex sights.
https://sageratsafaris.com/micro-red-dot-sights-for-handguns/

Shyster

UZI Talk Supporter
I just started carrying a Heckler & Koch P30V1 with a Trijicon SRO, backup suppressor-height sights, and a Gray Guns short-reset sear. I freaking love this thing.

OldBesty

Didnt know it was spring steel. Kinda nifty. The benefits of that air gap are apparent in that pdf you posted. Didnt realize (or forgot) it has motion sensing. Dont have to deal with the button so much then. At this point im kinda at the crossroads of the leupold, holosun, or just cheaping out and getting a vortex. Really like the leupold glass and backup sight. And since finding out it has a motion sensor I think it practical for a carry gun. Holosun has everything i could want, except a awesome warranty and I am having a hard time getting over the terrible glass quality. If i spend stupid amounts of money it better be awesome in my opinion. Only reason I would consider the vortex is because its cheap, good warranty, works, auto on, and would keep me from blowing my budget lol. Have almost ordered a mounting plate to narrow down my options. Just the leupold is a different plate then the holosun... your slowly talking me into the leupold besty!

For those interested, here is a list of all of the good to mediocre reflex sights.
https://sageratsafaris.com/micro-red-dot-sights-for-handguns/

Yeah, the housing is aluminum with the additional protection of a spring steel shroud (not cheap polymer like the cheap Sig Romeo Reflex sights that are known for failing drop tests).

The motion detection circuit has worked perfectly for me.

The accessible top battery is a must if you don't want having to unmount the optic to change batteries. Not sure why you were having difficulty with the battery compartment. There is a simple slide lever that requires a firm push, but I do not find it difficult. Rather I find it requiring just enough of a firm push with my finger that it is reassuring the battery compartment will not inadvertently open at any inopportune time.

I am also not clear why you were having trouble with the button. I find the button easy to actuate, and its in location that makes it very unlikely to ever be inadvertently actuated when carrying concealed. Fully powering down to "off state" requires keeping the button actuated for about 4-5 seconds before letting up. Otherwise just let the motion circuit work to turn off in "standby state". The only downside for me is a minimal inconvenience when it becomes necessary to completely cycle through the brightness settings to adjust since its a single button.

I am of opinion that Holosuns are good products having innovative circuitry their customers are liking. But they are made in China, and consumers need to understand the manufacturing quality of those circuit boards fall below their American counterparts. Quite simply it is why the electronics tend failing much earlier. For this reason alone, it makes little sense to consider buying any Chinese Optics that are costing as much as Leupold or Trijicon.

Hopefully other people on UT are having experience with DP Pro's and will chime in.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Well, just made my purchase. Bit over what I was intending to spend. When my optic plate shows up will have more to say on it after shooting. Have the iron sight coming in the mail. Havent ordered a front sight yet... may be important

Attachments

• PSX_20201015_182440.jpg
    PSX_20201015_182440.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 64

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Will definetaly be shooting and posting some pictures!
Kinda weird for me to be tricking out a pistol... just figuring out how much I have into this thing at this point kinda makes me sick lol! Got a surefire light and holster. Really liking it. Its super solid, super fast and easy to draw. Leaves room for muzzle accessories and a dot. Only thing I dont like is that surefire doesnt make a laser light combo thats compatible with the holster.
Planning on doing some video when I test my suppressor design. Will maybe do a video on the dot as well.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Btw. That is, they need a affordable laser/light combo for the holster...$530 is WAY to pricey.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Will definetaly be shooting and posting some pictures!
Kinda weird for me to be tricking out a pistol... just figuring out how much I have into this thing at this point kinda makes me sick lol!

Why I decided to keep my Walther stock with Streamlight, no optics.

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
I have just started dabbling in Red Dot pistol sites. I've got 3 now that I'm going to begin testing. I may not like any of them, or I may like them all. They are all going to get a Fair chance. RDS are mounted on the following handguns.

1 - Sig P320 - RomeoPRO 1
2 - Canik TP9 - SC Shield
3 - XD-40 - Holsom HE507C-GR

Also note if your looking for a mount that uses a dove tail for replacement of the rear site, Go to EGW. They have wide variety of mounting plates for sites and different weapons ( since not all dove tails are created the same). Under $50 each.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Here it is all mounted up. Have not got the backup iron sight in the mail yet. And have not put a higher front sight on yet either. Having only run a couple mags with the leupold, I really like it. Interesting thing; I am right handed and left eye dominate. With regular pistol iron sights I automatically align with my left eye. With the red dot I put the dot on my right eye... think it has to do with shooting on a single focal plane. So focusing on the target as opposed to focusing on both sights and the target. Will be curious if it changes when i put the iron sights on.

Pistol setup is as follows:
Walther PPQ Q4 TAC, polygonal barrel
Overwatch Precision performance trigger
Taylor Freelance mag extension (21+1)
Surefire XH35 light
Custom form 1 suppressor
Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5moa

Only thing that I havent done is put a multistage recoil spring in. Just running the "green" recoil spring that came with it to run with a suppressor. Suppose the slide could be lightened also, but I dont see that as necessary. It barely recoils as it is.

PSX_20201024_133745.jpgPSX_20201024_133358.jpg

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Sorry that the first picture is a bit grainy and dusty. Running a high ISO and the good camera can see more dust then the phone camera.

OldBesty

Really very nice!

Yep. Cross dominance. Dominant eye focuses more the target, and non-dominant eye the reticle.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter