Firefly M2A SMG

pjm204

I'm looking for some history on the Firefly SMG. I've been trying to gather as much history as I can on J&R Engineering and Wilkinson Arms. In doing so I stumbled across the Firefly and noticed that it appears to share many common parts with the m68/terry/linda.

I read that Bob Irwin of Las Vegas was the maker of the Firefly. Does he have a connection to Ray Wilkinson. I may try contacting Bob if someone can verify he had a part in creating the Firefly.

Any info would be great! Thanks

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
The most I've seen on them is in Frank Iannamico's book (SMG's of the USA).......It appears that Dan Shea may own a few.....

Looks like a fairly interesting delayed-blowback system was used......

ETA: Dan S. was creditied with most of the photos.......just an assumptio the guns were his....

Last edited:

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Dan has sold off most of "the vault", but I don't recall seeing one there. Doesn't mean there wasn't one or ten, just means I don't remember seeing any on my visits, but there was a lot to take in.

Bob Irwin is still around.

pjm204

Dan has sold off most of "the vault", but I don't recall seeing one there. Doesn't mean there wasn't one or ten, just means I don't remember seeing any on my visits, but there was a lot to take in.

Bob Irwin is still around.

Yea, I was on his website, I couldn't find contact information other than the number for his gun shop in Vegas. I kind of doubt if I call there that I will get him on the phone but I might try anyway.

The grip frame and magazine are definitely J&R/Wilkinson. The upper appears to me to be a shortened J&R m68. I was thinking it was a blowback like the wilkinson/j&r with the same telescoping bolt.

pjm204

Now I have more to figure out. Looks like the G77 is also Wilkinson based and from Covina, CA.

Adolf

UZI Talk Life Member
Do we know which came first? I thought it was a Wilkenson Arms Linda "Carbine" proto type when first viewing myself.

pjm204

Well I'm still on the search for information.

Last edited:

pjm204

Spoke with Bob Irwin on the phone yesterday about the Firefly, seems like a genuinely nice person, he did indeed build the few prototypes in existence.

pjm204

Update: back in the fall I rode my motorcycle out to Vegas and met with Bob. I got a chance to see a few fireflies and some of Bob's other creations. Now a handful of months later I own some of them. I'll post up some pictures soon.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Isn't there one on GB right now advertising the firing pin won't last more than a few rounds full auto? Sold as display only although transferable.

*read the ad several times last few months been for sale. Repeat auction. Can't find it now.

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
Isn't there one on GB right now advertising the firing pin won't last more than a few rounds full auto? Sold as display only although transferable.

*read the ad several times last few months been for sale. Repeat auction. Can't find it now.

Looks like someone scooped it up last month. Not a bad price, but sounds like it will definitely be a reliability / consistency challenge for the new owner.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=547196205

pjm204

Yes, I sent Bob an angry text after that sold because I asked him to let my know if he was ever selling. He made it up to me by selling some other fun guns.

I've been in contact with the guy that bought that Firefly, he's a member here and hopefully I'll be helping him out with getting it running without firing pins breaking.

Also I have lots of magazines for these so I sold him some :)

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
"I was that boy!" - Bart Simpson

Yeah I picked up one of those FFs, and the ATC M7. Still in NFA jail (checks cleared May 23). I figured at the very least I was buying a registered, transferrable serial number/receiver at a good price. I plan to either convert it back to a Linda (maybe in 380) which would make a lovely subgun.. or convert it to a mac platform built as a closed bolt around the CF-W bolt with an extended lower for a nice long bolt stroke.. so many possibilities. Given the current NFA wait and time for work, that vision is a good 2-3 years away but it will be worth the wait.

I've been in contact with the guy that bought that Firefly, he's a member here and hopefully I'll be helping him out with getting it running without firing pins breaking.

Also I have lots of magazines for these so I sold him some :)

pjm204

"I was that boy!" - Bart Simpson

Yeah I picked up one of those FFs, and the ATC M7. Still in NFA jail (checks cleared May 23). I figured at the very least I was buying a registered, transferrable serial number/receiver at a good price. I plan to either convert it back to a Linda (maybe in 380) which would make a lovely subgun.. or convert it to a mac platform built as a closed bolt around the CF-W bolt with an extended lower for a nice long bolt stroke.. so many possibilities. Given the current NFA wait and time for work, that vision is a good 2-3 years away but it will be worth the wait.

Yea, I'm waiting on two right now. One ATC from Bob. I actually moved mid transfer so we have to start all over again :(

What's the ATC M7?

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
What's the ATC M7?

ATC%2BM7%2B9mm.jpg

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Me to! Bowers will thread right on there, I'll replace the flimsy forward grip with a rail section & proper fore-grip.. Maybe an HK or AR style stock.. the best aspect is it uses Uzi mags, so it'll take a beta mag. More single mag capacity than I currently have in 9mm.

pjm204

Is the m7 an SMG or an SBR? I picked up one of his other SMG's, a prototype that looks a lot like the one above but uses the same mags as the firefly.

That M7 looks cool, is it in your possession?

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Is the m7 an SMG or an SBR?

SMG/ open bolt. If I rebuild the FF as a Linda and keep it closed bolt, it'll make a mean pair for competition- they'll just require some taming!

.... is it in your possession?

I wish- both hung up in NFA Jail, along with a new Bowers can (which will go nicely on the M7)... I projected August at the time the forms were submitted (I've lucked out in the past) now I'm hoping by the holidays but expect to see them in the spring.. that way I won't be disappointed. This is not a hobby for the impatient- I'd love to compete with these but that'll probably be 2018 at the earliest.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter