FA Uzi Ammo

Galil#1

Mine cycles Winchester white box with no problems. I speed up or slow down with different length buffers.
Say... about the buffers... does anyone with direct experience really know if long-term use causes the receiver to be beat up?
... The late UZI whisper Richard Hoffman stated in one of his videos, it beats it up; however, he was clear he did not like or saw the need of speeding up the full size UZI.
What say you guys?

Samuel_Hoggson

My Vector's backplate weld failed. Mostly used a 1" buffer and receiver had probably 15k rounds. After the repair I stopped using a buffer. Easy enough to adjust ROF some with ammo selection.

Can't prove cause and effect, but impact loading is a thing.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
My Vector's backplate weld failed. Mostly used a 1" buffer and receiver had probably 15k rounds. After the repair I stopped using a buffer. Easy enough to adjust ROF some with ammo selection.

Can't prove cause and effect, but impact loading is a thing.
I wouldn't use buffers to increase the cyclic rate either.
I would go with a lightened bolt. Another thing we did was use a Mini UZI bolt in the full size. I know there was a thread on here over a decade ago. I did the testing and used a PACT Timer for the results but I can't remember what numbers I got.

Another option is to go closed bolt but I personally don't like the recoil impulse on the closed bolt and before you say the closed bolt has a buffer...yeah I know that and I did some testing where I proved that the increase in the cyclic rate wasn't due to the buffer in the closed bolt but rather the increase in the spring force since you have the additional striker spring.

Anyone familiar with the closed bolt UZI's know what I'm talking about and how much harder it is to charge the striker with the additional resistance.

All that said, my personal preference again is a lighter bolt and of course hot ammo. A stronger spring also increases the cyclic rate.

Galil#1

WoW Sam H. that sucks but at least "easy" fix.
Amp. that's very interesting... a Mini UZI bolt can just pop inside the full size and same full size spring = all good. Learn something new each day, but still die stupid as they say. Thank you both gents for sharing!

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
WoW Sam H. that sucks but at least "easy" fix.
Amp. that's very interesting... a Mini UZI bolt can just pop inside the full size and same full size spring = all good. Learn something new each day, but still die stupid as they say. Thank you both gents for sharing!
It will work ok but you can't charge the bolt with an unmodified topcover lug.
If you want to just try it, you can make sure the gun is unloaded, remove topcover and charge the bolt

Last edited:

SecondAmend

As an example of ammo that did not work - Remington UMC "Green Box" 115 gr. FMJ. Would not cycle.

What I typically use are Winchester "White Box" 115 gr. FMJ, Federal American Eagle 115 gr. FMJ, and Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO,YMMV, etc.

Galil#1

2A... yes herd Rem. Green box sucks for the UZI. Cool all those you listed are common brands - Thanks!

miniuziguy

I've always heard to avoid anything aluminum cased in open-bolt Uzis. Makes sense to me. My Mini-Uzi isn't picky, so I usually feed it whatever cheap 9mm FMJ is on the shelf. It always runs well both suppressed and non-suppressed. Subsonic rounds have never been problematic. Malfunctions are very rare.

regalgseguy

Been using Barnaul (Russian) 115G Loaded to +P specs from the factory. My FA UZI eats it up.

Galil#1

kf4zra

Anything 124gr NATO spec and you will be great.
I load my own so made a recipe that gave me the same performance as it. I believe i copied MKE ammo
All my handguns are European so they eat up the 124gr NATO too.

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
I haven't personally tried the Hughes Precision ammo, but historically my experience with Indian ammo has not been good. I have read they have hard primers and inconsistent velocities.

I either reload or buy from Target Sports USA. They have an "Ammo Prime" membership that I take advantage of; It entails discounted prices and free shipping on any order.

Bunker Dan

I haven't personally tried the Hughes Precision ammo, but historically my experience with Indian ammo has not been good. I have read they have hard primers and inconsistent velocities.

I either reload or buy from Target Sports USA. They have an "Ammo Prime" membership that I take advantage of; It entails discounted prices and free shipping on any order.
Yeah, says right in the listing that it has hard primers and is best for PCCs.

I've also ran many thousands of rounds of WWB 125 gr with zero issues.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter