DeSantis Holster on GB

Dropsith

I've always thought these were cool and would be a nice addition to a mac accessories collection but this is going to go for some crazy money! And I'm almost positive it's one of you guys bidding it up to $1500 plus haha. I'd pay $200-300 and feel like I wasted the money, but I'm blown away to see it priced so high right now. Still got 5 days to go even! Thoughts?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/980834706

MitchWerbellsGhost87

This is the third one In a row I’ve sold for over a grand, and I start every auction at .99… so I don’t make the prices! It blew me away as well. The first one was a National cartridge marked example, with 9mm size mag pouches, didn’t have the snap pin but I had fashioned a rear strap with snaps for it that fit the M11…. It sold for 1800.

Then another, in excellent shape, M10/45 pouch, with the snap pin, for 1200.

Now this.

When it happened with the first one, I chalked it up to the fact that it was the first DeSantis holster I’ve seen on GunBroker for the Mac in over three years… and of course, right after it sold for big money, everybody started coming out of the woodwork with DeSantis holsters.. it was like the great Fleming rush of 2022 all over again. To my surprise, the value still has not dropped despite the market being absolutely flooded since that first auction. A few other people have listed them on GunBroker and they have sold for numbers ranging from 700 up to $1800 since that first auction depending on condition.

I’m not surprised about this black one being up to over 1500 right now, it’s very rare to see a black one, it’s a newer example actually, but I believe the guy that was making these died about a year ago, and I don’t think that anybody else is filling his shoes.

Dropsith

This is the third one In a row I’ve sold for over a grand, and I start every auction at .99… so I don’t make the prices! It blew me away as well. The first one was a National cartridge marked example, with 9mm size mag pouches, didn’t have the snap pin but I had fashioned a rear strap with snaps for it that fit the M11…. It sold for 1800.

Then another, in excellent shape, M10/45 pouch, with the snap pin, for 1200.

Now this.

When it happened with the first one, I chalked it up to the fact that it was the first DeSantis holster I’ve seen on GunBroker for the Mac in over three years… and of course, right after it sold for big money, everybody started coming out of the woodwork with DeSantis holsters.. it was like the great Fleming rush of 2022 all over again. To my surprise, the value still has not dropped despite the market being absolutely flooded since that first auction. A few other people have listed them on GunBroker and they have sold for numbers ranging from 700 up to $1800 since that first auction depending on condition.

I’m not surprised about this black one being up to over 1500 right now, it’s very rare to see a black one, it’s a newer example actually, but I believe the guy that was making these died about a year ago, and I don’t think that anybody else is filling his shoes.
Wow, I knew they were rare but I'm surprised that that's been your experience selling them. Good for you! I check periodically but have missed those other examples coming up on GB. Didn't know that the original designer passed away, that's a shame.

DeSantis makes an SMG shoulder holster now that goes for $300 but it's more generic, connecting with Velcro. Probably makes the most sense, practically, but I love that these lock into the stock pin hole on the receiver. A machine gun in a shoulder holster really isn't about practicality anyways is it? haha. Can't imagine that the magazine conceals well with this angle either.

slimshady

Surely if there was a patent on these it's long expired? Seems almost any leather holster maker could crank out one for not much effort, it's essentially half of a shoulder holster rig without a holster! Hell, all you would need to do is make a mag pouch and modify the tie down for these...

I get the "collectible" part but even that doesn't explain what people are willing to pay! Of course if I had any they would be listed too!

Galil#1

Not hating on anyone free market and all... seems alot more people have more money then sense. But... life is short might as well enjoy it because sure as hell can't take it with you ;-)

MitchWerbellsGhost87

Wow, I knew they were rare but I'm surprised that that's been your experience selling them. Good for you! I check periodically but have missed those other examples coming up on GB. Didn't know that the original designer passed away, that's a shame.

DeSantis makes an SMG shoulder holster now that goes for $300 but it's more generic, connecting with Velcro. Probably makes the most sense, practically, but I love that these lock into the stock pin hole on the receiver. A machine gun in a shoulder holster really isn't about practicality anyways is it? haha. Can't imagine that the magazine conceals well with this angle either.

Truth be told their attachment system is a pain in the ass and I often see guns that still have the desantis pin attached but no holster and more than half of the holsters I have found never have the damn pin!!

Also, I have dabbled in leather work and the desantis rigs would be extremely easy to reproduce. They all use the same generic desantis shoulder harness, the only unique part of the MAC rigs is the mag pouch and the 2 straps with the snap fasteners for the gun, if you can make those two components you can attach them to ANY desantis harness and viola, a MAC skatter…. But good luck finding a snap pin for it to hook onto the gun with! And nobody ever wants to remove them from their gun and sell them even when they don’t have the holster, lots of folks think those snap pins are a factory original part of their gun.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Not having one of these I'm curious about the 'pin'. Is it the front retainer pin but with a male snap half on one end that snaps to some part of the holster?
Pic?

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Truth be told their attachment system is a pain in the ass and I often see guns that still have the desantis pin attached but no holster and more than half of the holsters I have found never have the damn pin!!

Also, I have dabbled in leather work and the desantis rigs would be extremely easy to reproduce. They all use the same generic desantis shoulder harness, the only unique part of the MAC rigs is the mag pouch and the 2 straps with the snap fasteners for the gun, if you can make those two components you can attach them to ANY desantis harness and viola, a MAC skatter…. But good luck finding a snap pin for it to hook onto the gun with! And nobody ever wants to remove them from their gun and sell them even when they don’t have the holster, lots of folks think those snap pins are a factory original part of their gun.
Can you post a picture of this pin?

slimshady

Not having one of these I'm curious about the 'pin'. Is it the front retainer pin but with a male snap half on one end that snaps to some part of the holster?
Pic?

It replaces part #49 in the diagram at the rear, essentially the same pin just drilled and tapped on both ends. A male snap half is screwed to each side and the two straps hanging down from the harness snap onto them. It hangs muzzle down but you can grab it and swivel it around the snaps to "fire from the hip" or pop the straps off and free the gun. There was also a nylon web strap with snaps on it that could be wrapped around the rear of the gun. I think that was a later version that replaced the pin, or it may have been an option. The UZI version of the rig had a leather wrap around the rear of the gun, secured with snaps. there is a pic of it and of the MAC rig attached to an UZI pistol here: https://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/cases.htm

MAC_1011_schem.jpgimages.jpg

NAM

Jesus! I picked up one new from Desantis 5-10 years ago. It's a neat novelty, but if they're going for that kind of money....might be time to sell! lol..

MitchWerbellsGhost87

It replaces part #49 in the diagram at the rear, essentially the same pin just drilled and tapped on both ends. A male snap half is screwed to each side and the two straps hanging down from the harness snap onto them. It hangs muzzle down but you can grab it and swivel it around the snaps to "fire from the hip" or pop the straps off and free the gun. There was also a nylon web strap with snaps on it that could be wrapped around the rear of the gun. I think that was a later version that replaced the pin, or it may have been an option. The UZI version of the rig had a leather wrap around the rear of the gun, secured with snaps. there is a pic of it and of the MAC rig attached to an UZI pistol here: https://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/cases.htm

View attachment 38072View attachment 38074

I don’t think they ever actually offered a nylon strap with snaps on it… I made one using an M11 “rear sling swivel” strap for the first desantis rig I sold on GB A couple months ago, because it was missing the pin, but I do not know of a “factory” example of that method of attachment ever having been available. Truthfully I liked it better than the replacement pin, I think the snaps on the sides of the gun are kinda ugly and they end up screwing up the finish underneath the snaps, the snaps are brass painted black and they leave permanent brass rings on the gun once removed. The full size Uzi rig used the leather snap strap around the gun, as well as the mini Uzi rig that was sold by action arms, but the MAK skatter rig is also marketed for the micro uzi or Uzi pistol and the micro uzi version came with a “snap pin” that replaces the trigger group takedown pin on the gun, just like the MAC versions. I have heard that the pins might still be available if one were to contact desantis or possibly GALCO (they made this kind of rig also) but I have not personally tried.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

Can you post a picture of this pin?
You have probably seen these on guns before and don’t even realize. Lots of guns have them installed, despite the holster being long gone. Would you believe that in the instructions included from desantis they actually instruct you to “discard” of the perfectly good original pin???? Lol, no wonder there are so many guns with these ugly snaps still installed after all these years.

Attachments

• AF2197AD-B4EA-403B-8AB5-9DD099D9B7D1.png
    AF2197AD-B4EA-403B-8AB5-9DD099D9B7D1.png
    835.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 8DA86F53-B2E5-4156-BD34-17406A46F4F5.png
    8DA86F53-B2E5-4156-BD34-17406A46F4F5.png
    831.1 KB · Views: 17

Loco

I always thought the snaps looked cool. The rigs are kinda Jaws from James Bond-ish, however.

Mitch, I'm guessing you're making a decent take off the Gunbroker rubes. Good for you!

MitchWerbellsGhost87

I always thought the snaps looked cool. The rigs are kinda Jaws from James Bond-ish, however.

Mitch, I'm guessing you're making a decent take off the Gunbroker rubes. Good for you!
Definitely. I have made a side business out of selling MAC/Cobray collectibles on GB… there are some collectors with deep pockets on that auction and I sell items from my collection, usually at a profit, so I can buy more items for my collection!

Loco

Definitely. I have made a side business out of selling MAC/Cobray collectibles on GB… there are some collectors with deep pockets on that auction and I sell items from my collection, usually at a profit, so I can buy more items for my collection!
Yep! Been there with old Colt and Olympic stuff. Sold a fair bit of my Ingram goodies long ago, unfortunately.

Will never sell my last RPB 380. She's a virgin in a sealed box. I'm guessing my kids will have it up on GB once I head to the big shooting range in the sky. Hopefully they split 10k for it.

I paid two morgan silver dollars and two stripped Olympic lowers for it in early 2000s. I also gave the guy $225 in cash, and a Hutch BMX bike from 1983, and he gave me a preban Colt SP1, an RPB 9MM (was also sealed, but I rode that one hard), and a STACK (75 to 80?) of GI grease gun mags.

Anyway, most of that sold for decent prices in 2013 on GB.

My local shows often have surprisingly low prices on Cobray guns, usually older dealers who took them on trade and have zero clue they are so popular these days. I have considered snapping them up, flipping all the uppers and accessories, and then keeping the lowers as an investment.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
We
need a show and tell!

MitchWerbellsGhost87

We

need a show and tell!

Sure! If others are willing to join in and show off their old school MAC stuff! there’s enough of the tacticool stuff posted in basically every thread but I don’t see much in the way of retro MAC stuff on here, I think we should start a “retro” MAC picture thread on here! I have plenty of stuff to add to it…… this is just a small portion…. ( the bags are filled with stuff 😎)

AF97BDAD-0B3F-4931-AAAA-BFDAAD263A2E.jpeg

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter