Colt AR 15 full auto, auto sear pin holes egged shaped

slimshady

AFAIK there are only 3 repair solutions for an egged hole in an AL receiver. If only slightly deformed, you may be able to ream (both receiver and sear) slightly larger and use an oversized pin. If too deformed for that, you either weld it up and redrill, or drill it out larger and install bushings. The closeness of the sear hole to the top of the receiver is an issue with the bushings, may need to install the bushing offset to the bottom of the hole, and drill the sear pin hole near the top edge of the bushing instead of centered.

Anything other than an undetectable (visually) weld is going to probably lower the value of an RR gun considerably. Damn shame you can't retrofit a DIAS without a second tax stamp.

Uncle Billy

it's been my experience, from my Army days, that "egging" or enlarged axis pin hole, trigger or auto sear, stems from constantly removing and reinstalling the pins.

the pins are steel the receivers are alumium, no matter how careful you think you re-installed the pins you never quite do it perfectly every time, then after a while the hole gets bigger until the pins starts "walking out", and the weapon is deemed unserviceable and is evac to 3rd shop, from there a new rifle is issued. don't know what happens to the old rifle, probably ends up at ANNISTON where it's destroyed

you might, might, try putting a flat piece of steel on inside of the receiver on either side of the hole, with a hole that is the correct diameter and fix that in place.

Last edited:

MG34_Dan

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem? And what solution did you come up with? Thanks, JD

What caused this problem? I've only seen it with a 9mm full auto setup which did not have a ramped bolt. Ol' M60 Joe ramped 9mm bolts and, I believe, also fixed receivers with egged pin holes.

sweersa

Is the AR15 in question a factory machine gun, or a conversion? I've heard this issue is more common with the conversions, perhaps for less than precise drilling of the auto sear pin hole. I'm not sure if a lack of anodizing on the inside of the holes also contributes to the issue, but I'd imagine it would.

JDIllon

Has anyone used Gary's Bunker?? I have some pictures of his work, and it looks good. He says he is getting a lot of M60 Joe's work and was doing work for Joe. Just looking for some referrals. Thanks, JD

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Who did the conversion just curious.I own a SP1 that was converted by John Norrell.

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
What caused this problem? I've only seen it with a 9mm full auto setup which did not have a ramped bolt. Ol' M60 Joe ramped 9mm bolts and, I believe, also fixed receivers with egged pin holes.

M60 Joe retired.

nuge

UZI Talk Life Member
Looks like Gary's Bunker is your man given the website example and his history with M60Joe. As an option you may want to give John Andrewski a call...

usamark

After you fix it, this may keep it round:
p-18222-p_923000043_1.jpg

kns non-rotating-sear-pin

JDIllon

Let us know how it turns out.
I sent the gun to Gary at Gary’s Bunker! Gary is doing a lot of M60 Joes work.
The GUN TURNED OUT great! Gary machined out the bad holes and put in steel bushings. Then refinished the gun. Gary is really knowledgeable and does really nice work at a fair price.
Pictures to follow! Jim

Bret

It's time for some mag dumps! What's up with the holes in the right side of the magazine well?

JDIllon

It's time for some mag dumps! What's up with the holes in the right side of the magazine well?

Seller had the gun setup for Colt 9mm mag blocks. but they use screws instead of pins. They work great I have a Stern insert for Glocks and with the CMMG I use there converted 556/223 mags. Unfortunately I just had back surgery and won't be shooting for a while! Happy Holidays to all JD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter