Closed Bolt 22 for SMG

LGustin

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Supporter,
Got a question about whether or not a closed bolt setup from a semiauto 22 (IWI built) will run in a SMG? I had a closed bolt setup several years ago and sold it off, now I have a chance to pick up a full size 22 for cheap. I am only interested in it if it will work in full auto. My UZI is a registered receiver so I don’t know much about the converted bolt guns and have only read about open bolt conversions. What say ye, will it work? Thnx

LGustin

Thanks delta. I was starting to think it must be a pretty stupid and obvious question. I do appreciate you chiming in though.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Are you talking about the semi auto kit built by IMI (before they re-branded themselves to IWI)?
This one?:
1bfe75cb380931d643c871dfda3545d4.jpg

If so, many years ago there was a thread on here where myself and others did run these in full auto and they worked to some extent but the cyclic rate was insane. Maybe around 2000RPM and with those mags it went fast. It was so long ago that I can't remember what the issue was but I think you could occasionally get an OOB running them in FA. I had several of these and should have kept some.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Oh...those...thought those were really made by Umarex under license from IWI

LGustin

Yes I believe you are correct. I wasn’t aware that Umarex made them when I first asked the question. I doubt that closed bolt setup would work in a SMG but wanted to know for sure before passing on buying it.

delta-10

I literally lucked out and found the magazine to one of those Walther Umarex uzi's in a guy's mag been last week for $10. Needless to say, I threw it on GunBroker and it's already up to $80.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter