Bullpup rifles

Paul Kersey

I just watched some UTube vids on various .556 Bullpups available. They are not cheap, most $1600 and more. One that is no longer in production but still available via the used market is the older Bushmaster M17S. It appears they can be had for well under $1K (many specimens more around $800). They seems to be ignored in the market. Back in the day they were criticized that the forearm got real hot doing mag dumps (or sustained rapid fire), and criticized how high the sight options would sit over the bore, and "said" to have crappy triggers.. That is true of the more modern day options as well. It used/uses the AR18 gas piston system and has a chromed lined 21.5 inch barrel (assuring you get max performance out the the .556 cartridge). It uses standard AR/M16 mags as well)

Admittingly, I have one and think they are great rifles to shoot. Accurate and reliable. The backup "iron" sites suck, but like most bullpups you need to add a optic (scope or red dot). My trigger pull is as good as most ARs. I'm not selling mine, but the M17S seems to get overlooked by many. Sure, it is not a "take it to war" rifle, but for a truck gun and fun shooting I enjoy mine.

Anyone else have one? I like to hear your thoughts. In many ways- it is "a forgotten rifle" and I feel unjustifiably so.

SecondAmend

I don't believe that "forgotten" is the proper term. No personal experience, but from what I understand, "successfully repressed" is generally more accurate for most former bullpup rifle owners. Having experienced out of battery firing with conventional firearms, I have no interest in having the ejection port as positioned on a bullpup rifle that close to my face.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Paul Kersey

Yea, perhaps "forgotten" was not the right word.

If you ever examine a M17S you will see the receiver is pretty thick in the ejection port area, and I have no such concern of an OOB affecting my face. I have never heard of a M17S with a "out of battery" issue, yet with any firearm it is a possibility, including the current crop of expensive Bullpup rifles. I realize there is only a limited crowd into bullpups, but they are becoming more popular with the Israeli Army (Tavor) and the Croatian Army ( HS 2)) using them. I was looking at the Springfield Armory Hellion (semi import copy of the Croatian VHS 2) and while I am interested, it really does not give me that much more for another $1000 than what I have in my BFI M17s (besides the M17 barrel is 21.5 inches vs. 16 in on the Hellion). I am right handed so the ability to change ejection sides does not affect me.

So I guess I'm just interested and anyone else's thoughts on the M17S if they have one.

Shyster

UZI Talk Supporter
I was looking at a transferable Bushmaster a few years ago but someone talked me out of it. I kind of regret it now.

As far as modern bullpups, I have a feeling a Desert Tech MDRX is in my immediate future.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
I have always liked the bullpup concept, but there was so much negative talk about the trigger on the bushmaster I did not buy one back in the 80s. I have an AUG and a Tavor. But now now that you put the bug in my head I have a bid on GrunBroker. Why did you have to let me know that Bushmasters are reasonably priced in the current market.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I can't comment on the Bushmaster, but, as I've said before, after a surgery on my left arm which removed some bone and muscle, I couldn't hold a "regular" rifle. I bought a Ruger Mini 14 and a Bullpup stock for it from Brownells. Our son helped me assemble it, and I was able to use it until I strengthened my arm enough to use other rifles. It definitely served its purpose!

eodinert

Bullpups are fun when you are looking for something different. It's interesting to me how the manufacturers try to solve the problems they create when making a bullpup. None of them have quite achieved 'as good as' (in comparison to an M16), but they are getting closer.

I really wanted an M17 quite a few years back. There was a guy on Arfcom that was modernizing them, and had some pretty cool upgrades. There is even a company in Arizona making them new. IMO, the inability to shoot it off of the left shoulder will always relegate it to the 'could have been great' category.

pjm204

K&M Arms makes an updated version of the M17S or at least they did. I haven't tried to order one so I can't confirm that they are still taking orders.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter