Blackhawk! Omega Dropleg magazine pouch

xdamagedx

I'm fairly new here, and I'm sure there's dozens of threads on mag pouches. With that in mind I'm sure more resources are usually welcomed.
Earlier this year I started transfer on an M10 in .45. I'd like to attend next years subgun match here in Michigan (assuming transfer happens quick enough). One of the things besides practice I noticed that I'd probably need is some type of magazine pouch... so I started researching old threads here. Much like everyone else: I wasn't looking to spend $60-100 on some high speed operator gear. The older surplus pouches would probably work but may sit a little high, so I figured a dropleg setup may or maynot be a little more user-friendly. Turning a surplus pouch into a dropleg would probably be more time, effort and money than its worth.
I found the Blackhawk Omega series, and that they offered a setup for the H&K UMP which takes a slightly bigger mag than the MP5. Online retailers and Ebay put it right around the $60 mark. Luckily I found a lightly used one that the seller took an offer of $20 for. In my rush to give away my money I realized when I stuck my Suomi magazines in it (I plan on having a 9mm conversion on hand as well as shooting .45), that there was no way a GG mag was going to fit with the buckle closed (I think I accidentally ordered the one designed for the MP5).
20161011_202701_zpsoynyppxh.jpg

Suomi mags fit with the buckle straps extended all the way out. The strap loses the ability to have the end velcroed down, but seems to stay put. The empty bottom pocket shows how short a mag would have to be for the velcro (again, I think it's a non-issue).
20161011_190935_zpsgilqlj0w.jpg

This one shows that a GG mag physically fits in the pouch, but its too long for the top to be snapped down. If the buckle strap was able to be adjusted about 1-2" longer it would reach to secure it. The GG mag was snug, and I dont think the buckles would be clipped during a match anyway, so my daughter said "go run around the yard" (a stupidly simple idea I didn't even consider). It didnt go anywhere,neither did the unsecured Suomi mag... neither from running or jumping on the kids' trampoline so it works out pretty well.
The quality is about on par with Blackhawks quality (as far as I know about them). Little things like rubberized layers on the leg straps (I assume to keep them from bunching up or together), easy on/off velcro loop for your belt, and other details show it's a pretty well thought out product. I'd like to see how much bigger the UMP setup is, but I think it would loose capability to hold Suomi mags securely. Is it worth $60 new? Maybe for some people, but not for someone like myself who will probably use it twice a year. The $20+shipping price tag was definitely a good buy though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter