B&T Station Six 9mm

Rob1928

UZI Talk Supporter
I've had this for about two months now and have shot the heck out of it, so I thought I'd share my impressions. Not really a review as there are already a ton of those with all of the specs, etc, just what I like and the quirks I've noticed.

For folks who aren't familiar, this is a modern plastic framed version of the 9mm Welrod MKI from WW2. That was a bolt action 9mm pistol with a detachable suppressor that replaced the 32ACP Welrod MK2 (yes, the MK2 predated the MKI for some unknown reason) that had a 3 wipe integral suppressor and was essentially made to be used at contact distance "with muzzle pressed firmly into the target" per one reference. A key feature of both models was that the pistol grip came off with the magazine to enable it to be hidden in say a coat sleeve with a round in the chamber and it could be fired this way, once, while perhaps walking past the target. Around 15k were made and many thousands were dropped into occupied Europe, and they supposedly remained in SAS service until at least the 90s. The US even experimented with a 45ACP model and B&T also offers this in 45.

A11.jpg

This version uses 9 round 1911 mags and comes with a basic suppressor consisting of 4 wipes separated by spacers. Since mine is still in NFA jail I tried other cans, such as the MK9K shown here. I had a minor panic while waiting for mine when I read in the downloadable owners manual that the barrel is threaded 1/2x28 LEFTHAND threads. That is thankfully incorrect, they are right hand!!!

Unlike the originals or B&T's previous Welrod update, the VP9, the grip could not be made detachable and still meet import criteria. The owner's manual also shows it as detachable. As a compromise they did make a prominent 'cut here' seam on the grip if you want to do it yourself. I used a Japanese pull saw to make a nice straight cut (and thereby destroyed any future collector value, oh well!).

A12.jpg

This also let me make smaller grips that I like much better. The one in the center is a 6 shot mag made from a Ruger 1911 mag and the one on the right is a flush fitting 3 shot mag made from a Wilson mag. The big downside of doing this is that the part of the pistol with all of the weight is now connected to the grip by just the mag catch and the mag well is about .5mm longer than it needs to be, giving a lot of slop. I used the redneck gunsmithing solution of adding a narrow strip of duct tape to the spine of each mag and they now lock up tightly.

There isn't enough space on the receiver to mount an optic well. It has a diameter of about 31.75mm. At first I used a 34mm ring-to-pic rail mount with a RMR mount on top of that but the height over bore was crazy. All of the ring-to-RMR plate mounts I could find have the plate extending forward where it wouldn't clear the can. I finally bought a $15 chinesium 30mm ring (and bored it out) and attached the plate to it with a screw and superglue (more advanced gunsmithing here) and a boss to hopefully keep it in alignment. It's held up so far but I'd like something better even though this is obviously a range toy. The other issue is that there isn't enough clearance for the front sight blade. This is held on by a screw on either side but given the cheapness of the ring I just filed a shallow 1/8" wide groove in the ring to let it straddle the blade and not risk losing the small parts..

A13.jpg
A14.jpg

I also tried it with a Thompson Machine Poseidon (shown with the 3 round mag) and of course for grins with a Loudener, a MG42 muzzle device with an aluminum 1/2x28 insert. You can see the simple 2 lug bolt operated by the palm of your hand and the grip safety, the only safety there is.

And here's a short clip of it at the range. This thing is a blast.

Last edited:

Garrett

That’s great! This is one of those really neat guns that I keep trying to justify getting.

Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
That's cool. I've had my eye on that gun for a while too, Garret. Thanks for sharing OP.

blaiwayw

I just got my Station 6 in 9mm. Two things of note. The grip safety has to be fully depressed in order to cycle the bolt after each shot. The manual doesn’t stress this. The video’s I’ve watched, especially TFB do mention this. Matter of fact, my Station 6 didn’t come with a manual. Doesn’t come with a cleaning kit either. The soft case is the same one that came with my B&T MKII. Nice. Other thing that none of the reviews mention is the trigger, which is almost as bad as the B&T TP9. Maybe it will break in over time. I ordered a 1/2x28 adapter for my Rugged Obsidian 9. This being a fixed barrel, a spring loaded piston is not used. This is a unique weapon. The price at $2K is high. It you like B&T and HK quality, you will still be pleased with it. I don’t think a lot of these will be made, and I value mine as a collectable.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter