AR-15 22LR Conversion kit

prescottkid

Who makes the best 22LR conversion kit for the AR-15 ? Looking for a kit that is reliable and functions well. Please let me know your opinions and experiences. Would be using it in a Colt or Bushmaster.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Get a current production CMMG stainless kit with dedicated upper. It has a detent ball in the bolt that eliminates bolt bounce.

I wasted 1,000's of rounds and countless hours working on other options and my advice is to go direct to CMMG.

SecondAmend

To get back on track to the original question of .22LR conversion assemblies for use in AR-15 .223/5.56 uppers, as it turns out, the issues one encounters can generally be tracked back to the AR-15 upper. Usually related to tolerances not being met or stackup of tolerances, or mis-assembly of the upper.

In any case, it's not like there are very many companies making .22LR conversion assemblies for use in AR-15 .223/5.56 uppers any more. Lots of companies sell dedicated .22LR uppers - conversion assemblies, not so much. Besides CMMG (or RTB re-branded CMMG), who do you have in mind?

prescottkid

From the information received, it looks like the best way to go is the dedicated 22 upper from CMMG. I looked at there site and see they have quite a selection of uppers and parts.
Thanks guys for the info.

Uncle Billy

I have a USGI M261 conversion kit, for way over 20 years, and it performs perfectly in my AR that has a 5.56 chamber every time I use it, as long as I use HV .22

Digital-Camera.jpg

Last edited:

twzadms

2nd CMMG. I also recently used their warranty service for an issue that was NOT their fault and in my opinion not something they needed to take care of (I was looking for a part for a discontinued really early .22 conversion) and their solution was for me to send the old back and they replaced it with Stainless current version. Honestly, it was like dealing with Lage. Beyond that, it works. Unsolicited advise, get dedicated, it is worth the difference IMHO having had both.

3154tm

UZI Talk Supporter
thinking about doing this and wondered about the rate of fire. from online videos it seems really fast.

Last edited:

SecondAmend

For an M16 with all mil spec FCG; .22LR ROF, using CCI MiniMag, 40 gr., copper plated round nose ammo in a dedicated CMMG 9" bbl. upper with either of Ciener or CMMG anti bounce weights, I generally measure in the 1200-1250 rounds per minute range. Measured with PACT Mk IV XP Chronograph and Timer with Echo factor at 6.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments. Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

ETA: Most of the measurements have been with 25 rnd CMMG grey mags loaded to 10 rounds.

Last edited:

K2

Hi,

A quick note: Buy a few high quality spare extractors. When firing the brass should eject high, a bit to the rear or straight out. If any casings are going forward it indicates the bolt is hitting the case as the bolt moves forward. This is easily seen with about any decent quality video. If the casing is still in the chamber area as the bolt is going forward there will be trouble like stovepipes and/or a casing getting pushed up into the charging handle.

I consider the extractor in the 22 conversion to be a consumable. If you get 10,000 rounds you are doing really well. I normally only get around 5000 rounds/extractor.

If anyone has a favorite brand, I'm all ears.

As usual, YMMV.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

ps. For F/A, read before you buy concerning the ball detent mod. It is rather a pain to assemble but it really works.

SecondAmend

ps. For F/A, read before you buy concerning the ball detent mod. It is rather a pain to assemble but it really works.

The use of a spring loaded detent to control bolt bounce (or other purposes) is generally a limited application technique. E.g., to the best of my knowledge, it was first implemented on an M16 .22 conversion in 1990 on the M261 .22 conversion unit, which is not compatible for use of an anti-bounce weight. For most purposes, anti-bounce weights work adequately when installed in the Atchisson MkII/III pattern M16 .22 conversions.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments. Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

ETA: And the "ball detent mod" is not necessarily a cure-all to what might be wrong. The Spike's Tactical .22 conversion included the bolt drilled and the frame notched for the "ball detent mod". For the Spike's Tactical .22 conversion unit I bought, I ordered the Full Auto option which included the sear trip, an anti-bounce weight (ABW) , and the ball and one or two springs. I could never get it to work in full auto in my Colt M16. Semi worked great; but it wouldn't get more than a three round blip in full auto. And that was with ABW only, "ball detent mod" only, or both together.

Last edited:

SecondAmend

Get a current production CMMG stainless kit with dedicated upper. It has a detent ball in the bolt that eliminates bolt bounce.

I wasted 1,000's of rounds and countless hours working on other options and my advice is to go direct to CMMG.

The two CMMG dedicated .22 uppers that I have include a detent ball in the collar that latches the collar to the barrel and thus eliminates (or at least reduces) fore/aft movement of the bolt/recoil assembly/frame unit in the upper and the attendant issues thereof; but does nothing to reduce or eliminate bolt bounce. I still have to have an anti-bounce weight for full auto operation.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter