Anyone Know OF 45ACP Magwell Adapters for AR556 Lowers

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
Hello All:
I want to use 556 Lowers and use Greasegun mags,or glock Mags,
or UMP Mags in 45 Acp utilizing a CMMG 45 acp upper
I cant find anyone who makes Magwell Adapters.
So does anyone know of a 45acp magwell adapter so I can use my 556 lower
with a CMMG 45acp upper??

There is a Company Hahn Precision who made adapters for CavARms
plastic lowers. But they say they wont work in metal lowers
Below is pictures of my Integrally suppressed M16

Last edited:

Garrett

The grease gun mag is too wide to fit in a standard AR15 magwell. I suspect the UMP mag is as well. Not sure about the Glock 21 mag.

They have been out of production forever, but the VM Hy-Tech magwell works with a .45 Uzi magazine. With that in mind, I suspect you could use a regular Colt pattern 9mm magwell and cut an AR15 catch in Uzi .45 mags and have them work.

If you don’t mind running Uzi .45 mags.

Jo155stl.jpeg

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Try MVB Industries. They have a magwell adapter for HK UMP 45 mags that will fit in a standard AR lower. The HK 25 round mags mags are pricey and you will need to modify the mag catch. The MVB Industries magwell adapter is designed for straight blowback uppers. The CMMG rotary delayed blowback upper needs the magazine 0.010" lower than the straight blowback magazine height. As Garrett pointed out, Uzi .45 ACP mags can be used. I can't remember the capacity of the factory Uzi .45 mags. The Promag aftermarket mags are 22 rounds. Bazooka Brothers made a Grease Gun lower and MGI had a Grease Gun magwell for their Hydra lower, if you want 30 capacity Grease Gun mags. Good luck with your .45 RDB project.

Scott

SecondAmend

IMI factory Uzi .45 ACP mags are either 10 or 16 round capacity.

Another pricy option might be Olympic Arms .45 ACP mags that were made for their K45 uppers. There were two types - IMI Uzi mags with a welded on sleeve and polymer. The polymer mags are 10 or nominally 18 but realistically 17 round capacity.

Good luck. MHO, YMMV, etc.

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
45acp magwell adapter

thanks to all on this and the simplest solution is to get a complete 45acp firearm in 5 ir 8 inch barrel from CMMG and since i am a dealer I do get a price break and i can use the inexpensive glock mags

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
With the Kriss 17 round extensions, it's a full 30 round mag. They seemed to work well with my G21SF.

I hope CMMG/Mean arms makes 45 conversion mags from Magpul 40 rounders. I bet they could get 30 rounds of 45 acp.

Even better, make 50 rd Glock mag drums for 45 acp. :)

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
thanks to all on this and the simplest solution is to get a complete 45acp firearm in 5 ir 8 inch barrel from CMMG and since i am a dealer I do get a price break and i can use the inexpensive glock mags

That would definitely be the simplest solution to get the whole firearm from CMMG. Especially since the RPB uses a different mag height. It is really sad that MGI was so greedy. Like with Auto Ordinance, each company had a really novel idea, but charged way too much above market value. It was cheaper to buy complete lowers than to buy just the MGI magwell. MGI used to charge $500 for a stripped lower and $250 to $300 per magwell. Windham Weaponry has a reasonable price at $125 for magwells, but they only have standard AR, Colt blowback 9mm, and AK-47. I am fortunate enough to own a large frame Glock, Grease Gun, and a custom Thompson with LRBHO, that I had made for a Ron Williams direct impingement .45 upper. I wonder why Windham Weaponry didn't make some of these magwells? I am still looking for a AK-74, and small frame Glock magwells to complete the set. To me the modular lower with all the magwells would be the ultimate SBR. Since I am lucky enough to own a DIAS, I have not registered my modular lowers as SBRs.

It would be great to have an HK 9mm and .40 caliber, scorpion, and unmodified Uzi magwells be developed for the modular lower. I do know that there are drop in magwell adapters for Uzi (there is one pictured above), but MGI did a great job at getting the mag release button in the standard AR release button position. Maybe some day someone will do it. Good luck with your project.

Scott

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
That would definitely be the simplest solution to get the whole firearm from CMMG. Especially since the RPB uses a different mag height. It is really sad that MGI was so greedy. Like with Auto Ordinance, each company had a really novel idea, but charged way too much above market value. It was cheaper to buy complete lowers than to buy just the MGI magwell. MGI used to charge $500 for a stripped lower and $250 to $300 per magwell. Windham Weaponry has a reasonable price at $125 for magwells, but they only have standard AR, Colt blowback 9mm, and AK-47. I am fortunate enough to own a large frame Glock, Grease Gun, and a custom Thompson with LRBHO, that I had made for a Ron Williams direct impingement .45 upper. I wonder why Windham Weaponry didn't make some of these magwells? I am still looking for a AK-74, and small frame Glock magwells to complete the set. To me the modular lower with all the magwells would be the ultimate SBR. Since I am lucky enough to own a DIAS, I have not registered my modular lowers as SBRs.

It would be great to have an HK 9mm and .40 caliber, scorpion, and unmodified Uzi magwells be developed for the modular lower. I do know that there are drop in magwell adapters for Uzi (there is one pictured above), but MGI did a great job at getting the mag release button in the standard AR release button position. Maybe some day someone will do it. Good luck with your project.

Scott

Totally agree. I think it would be a great seller for someone to pick up the MGI modular lowers/magwells again.
I have the AK47, AK74, Colt9mm via a magblock, GG, small frame Glock and standard 556.
The small frame Glock won't work with the CMMG RDB as the angle is wrong even if it was lowered.
I'm thinking about making a 308 magwell to be like a G2. Would like a Scorpion magwell to have a curved 9mm mag plus BHO.
I also wish it had steel inserts for the hammer/trigger pinsas you can't use non-rotating pins with the MGI design.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Totally agree. I think it would be a great seller for someone to pick up the MGI modular lowers/magwells again.

I also wish it had steel inserts for the hammer/trigger pinsas you can't use non-rotating pins with the MGI design.

Windham Weaponry did make magwells for MGI as they are both based in Maine. But apparently WW didn't make any of the specialty magwells. It is my understanding that when MGI didn't renew the patent WW brought the modular upper & lower systems to market with their name on them. I don't know why WW didn't develop some of these other magwells. But their website https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product-category/mcs-multi-caliber-system/ still lists the three systems for sale.

To me the real risk of breaking is the hammer pin. Since the hammer pin is locked into place by the magwell, a solid pin could replace the fire control pin with the releaf in the center of the pin. If you wanted your fire control pin holes sleeved, doesn't US Anodizing do that service?

ETA Yes, that certainly looks like a Post Sample, but I think that the point of the photo was the Hahn Grease Gun magwell block in the wided plastic lower's magwell. That was a way to use Grease Gun mags before the AR-45 lowers were available.

Back in the day, I remember some guys grinding off the extra support plate on GG mags and squeezing the mag a little bit in a vice to get the GG mag to fit into the AR standard magwell. Then cut notch for the AR mag catch to hold the mag. Some seemed to be able to get such a mag to run. Others, not so much.

Scott

Last edited:

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Windham Weaponry did make magwells for MGI as they are both based in Maine. But apparently WW didn't make any of the specialty magwells. It is my understanding that when MGI didn't renew the patent WW brought the modular upper & lower systems to market with their name on them. I don't know why WW didn't develop some of these other magwells. But their website https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product-category/mcs-multi-caliber-system/ still lists the three systems for sale.

To me the real risk of breaking is the hammer pin. Since the hammer pin is locked into place by the magwell, a solid pin could replace the fire control pin with the releaf in the center of the pin. If you wanted your fire control pin holes sleeved, doesn't US Anodizing do that service?

Scott

Yes, I know about WW....what is annoying about them unless they changed their policy is that they won't sell the stripped lower parts. You must buy a complete rifle to get the back half.
I know what you are saying about the hammer pin. I run KNS 'trigger' pins to be used as my hammer pins in the MGI which have no middle groove and have yet to break one. I've broken a couple before doing that and had an AD before due to a broken hammer pin. I don't know if US Anodizing does that service of sleeving but it is so thin in that area, I'd rather just have steel in that entire area.

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes My Gun is Post Sample

Looks like a Post Sample machine gun to me.
I am a 07/02 and its a registered post sample.
The point of the picture was the magwell
I didnt know you were NFA Police !!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter