AK Bolt carriers

After thinking about it, I ordered a polytech AK bolt carrier. I figure with an AR mag adapter it would an even faster reload and cancel out the need for a left handed charging handle.

Story

Anyone want to trade their upturned Galil carrier for an AK47 carrier? I'd been looking at the upturned bolt handle for a build I'm working on.

Roelfsmit

I am also changing my Golani bolt carrier using a 762 AK carrier, will let you know how it all fits up. There should be no problem between 762 and 223. I managed to remove the pin from the AK carrier quite easily, and will fit the Galil gas piston this week then give it a test

Roelfsmit

I managed to fit the AK carrier to my Golani. The biggest job is to ream the pin hole in the carrier to the same size as the Galil carrier. The metal is hardened and without a drill press it's hard work. Once you got the hole reamed all you have to do is screw in the Galil piston, line up the holes and drive the spring pin back in. The required play on the piston is the same as the Galil. I had to grind and slighty re- shape the bottom of the carrier to match the Galil where it slides over the trigger assy. Will test it on the range in two weeks hopefully.

Anders

Have a Yugo M70 bolt carrier coming that I'll use on my FFV890C. I have a spare new FFV piston so I'll not mess with the original bolt carrier and remove the roll pin.

To what size (in mm) do I need to drill the hole in the M70 carrier? And what size of roll pin should I use?

On the FFV bolt carrier the roll pin is staked also......do I need to do this on the M70 carrier? What have you other guys done?

Plan to have my buddy refinish the M70 bolt carrier with the same paint color used here: http://uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59005&page=2

//Anders

Anders

Have the M70 bolt carrier here now and are getting ready to work on it....

Please se my question abouve....do I need to stake the Galil roll pin or not? What have you other guys done?

Thanks and best wishes,
Anders

my dog chomp

I have a question I have a ak & a arm.if I swap will the galil carrier fit in the ak & who has some galil roll pins or a ak bolt carrier with galil gas piston & roll pin they want to sell thanks & merry CHRISTMAS

Steamroller

Have the M70 bolt carrier here now and are getting ready to work on it....

Please se my question abouve....do I need to stake the Galil roll pin or not? What have you other guys done?

Thanks and best wishes,
Anders

Hey there, I swapped an M70 carrier into my Galil just as you are doing. I ordered a new undrilled Galil gas piston from CNC warrior. I then just turned the new piston into the carrier, marked it and drilled it for the M70 size pin. Now I have my original Galil carrier and the M70 carrier. I did not see any use in staking the pin, because it fit tight in mine. But if the pin goes in pretty easily then you may want to stake it. They are staked to keep them from slipping out and binding in the gas tube.
I would say put the pin in it, run about 100-200 rds through it periodically checking the pin for movement. If it doesnt move then your good to go. If you plan on dedicating this carrier to your Galil then I would stake it. But if you plan on re-using the piston on your Galil carrier, I would try to get away without staking it. It can't come completely out inside the gas tube, but it can come out and bind up in the gas tube.
Hope this helps you out.

my dog chomp

can someone please tell me what size the gas piston pin is, or if they have a spare they want to sell, I am having a hard time finding 1. I have a carrier & piston on the way & just need the pin thanks & happy New Year

Steamroller

can someone please tell me what size the gas piston pin is, or if they have a spare they want to sell, I am having a hard time finding 1. I have a carrier & piston on the way & just need the pin thanks & happy New Year

Hey friend, I found all the info I needed when I did mine at the link below. The second post will give you what you need to do the pin and gives the measurements. Have a happy new year and let me know if you have trouble finding a 5/32" pin and bit.
Link: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-16799

my dog chomp

I decided not to put the galil carrier in the ak & bought a ak carrier & galil gas piston to go in the galil that link kinda was geared to putting the galil carrier in a ak but thanks all I need now is the galil pin & wait for the parts to come I am tired of the scars from charging the galil with the scope mount happy new year all

kmart356

UZI Talk Supporter
Top - Galil SAR Carrier & piston
Middle -Galil Carrier & Hungarian AMD piston w/7.62x39 Bolt
Bottom - Hungarian Carrier & AMD piston

Hungarian_Galil Carriers.jpg

Warhawk1982

This is an awesome idea, I just ordered an AK bolt carrier from APEX and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to widen the slots in the AK bolt so they'll slide in the Golani receiver.

lcastillo

This is an awesome idea, I just ordered an AK bolt carrier from APEX and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to widen the slots in the AK bolt so they'll slide in the Golani receiver.
Warhawk1982 use a dremel tool with the small pointed metal grinder tip (these are the blue colored ones) it will work wonders on the case hardened steel found on AK bolt carriers. I burned out 3 drill bits trying to get thru the steel of the AK bolt carrier trying to widen the retainer pin holes to retro-fit the Galil gas piston for use in Galil rifle. I had to call for some back up in the form Tenngalil and he just laughed when I told him about my dilema. After following his advice and buying the right tool for the job, the dremel bit cut and widened the hole like a hot knife in butter. I guess that is what you are refering to when you mention the slots in the AK bolt? If not that dremel bit will grind just about anything off you need on the bolt so be easy. Lou

Warhawk1982

Yeah those slots in the AK bolt carrier are apparently too narrow to fit in the reciever of the Galil/Golani. Thanks for the info. My dad has a Dremel tool I could borrow. I could buy one of those bits.

lcastillo

TinmanIA

Actually it should work. The bolt in the 5.56 AKs, including the M86 are the same as the 47 bolt on shaft diameter. Its the 5.45 bolts that are skinnier.

lcastillo

Actually it should work. The bolt in the 5.56 AKs, including the M86 are the same as the 47 bolt on shaft diameter. Its the 5.45 bolts that are skinnier.
I see. The guy who sold me the bolt and bolt carrier said it was 5.56mm. Looks like he misrepresented it to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter