A Pleasant Surprise

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Last night, my father gave me an old Lyman reloading press, 1940s-1950s. He informed me that it had belonged to my Mentor!

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Absolutely! I've got to find something to mount it on and pick up some dies, etc, but I plan to put it to use. It will save me a drive to my parents' house when I want to work up a small batch of something, especially when I have a night when I can't sleep. (I'll still go over to load with him, especially for bulk or precision loads)

slimshady

Does it take the modern standard dies and shell holders? A lot of the older stuff used their own proprietary dies and holders. Not sure whose eventually wound up as the standard 7/8-14 thread we use today, but Lyman was big enough it may have been them. Might not too.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Does it take the modern standard dies and shell holders? A lot of the older stuff used their own proprietary dies and holders. Not sure whose eventually wound up as the standard 7/8-14 thread we use today, but Lyman was big enough it may have been them. Might not too.

I haven't tried it, but my father said it will take Lyman/RCBS accessories. I will try one of his before I buy any. BTE, it has a Primer Arm

slimshady

Should be good to go then. The stock primer install setup on a single stage sucks, I'd get a hand priming tool if you plan on loading more than a 20rd box at a time.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
For Xmas, my father gave me a Bullet Mold that was owned by my Mentor (.357)

For clarification, my Mentor was the husband of my Paternal Grandfather's Cousin; he had 3 daughters, no sons, that's why he kinda took my father (&me) as his students & heirs

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter